Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Generally I agree with you - we should all try to read posts as if our favorite person wrote them because we tend to project attitudes and intonation that may or may not be there. However, language is amazing, there are so many ways to say the same thing, and how you phrase something and the words you chose, especially when quickly dashed, may reveal more about your attitude than you realize or intend.
Yes. We should pay attention to word choice here b/c it's the only thing anyone has to go on.

Still, the original poster never said she thought the rest of Plano sucks or the rest of the metroplex is awful or people are beneath her or that someone should round them up and kill them...but those are the sentiments mirrored back at her - I think unfairly. Hence the unnecessary escalation and name-calling.

I personally love the DFW area, and when I'm out of town, I say I'm from Dallas. I love the variety of places we can go to do all sorts of things. Lakes, theaters, restaurants, parks, rodeo, farm country.

I don't care for panhandling anywhere. I stand by not wanting to see it on my home streets - I don't think it's safe (for the driver or panhandler), and as someone who works with the homeless, I can tell you they do have other options. We've often tried to set people up with their meds and shelter and food, but they know where the real money is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM

105 posts, read 241,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't care for panhandling anywhere. I stand by not wanting to see it on my home streets - I don't think it's safe (for the driver or panhandler), and as someone who works with the homeless, I can tell you they do have other options. We've often tried to set people up with their meds and shelter and food, but they know where the real money is.
I agree -I do not like panhandling either -but it's not something that "doesn't belong in west plano" -it's a city-wide, metroplex-wide, country-wide manifestation of a large problem that is growing larger.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,955,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Didn't you hear? They set up a satellite City Hall over on Parkwood to serve only West Plano! They call a separate number and the receptionist answers the phone, "West Plano, how may we serve you".

Anyway, I hear you on the rest of the post. It's clear that people from all of the different suburbs come over here to try to link up with others in their towns, simply because they don't have separate forums for the different cities.

I have never seen anyone who has been so arrogant as to expect people from outside their town to not chime in, but you're on here enough that surely you can see how people get tired of hearing the same old tired cliches, every time a topic comes up about their town.

You've been around DFW long enough to know that every single town is going to have citizens with vastly different levels of expectations. Insulting them isn't going to change them.

LOL!!!! You know it is only a matter of time for someone in West Plano to pop up and suggest such. I would not be surprised if some have already thought it. Can you get your drivers license to say "WEST Plano" now as well. I think that would be only fair.

True. There are some of us though that don't live in a "bubble" and view the entire DFW area as their "home" and their own "backyard". I'm surely not going to limit myself to just what is at my doorstep as just on down the sidewalk there is SOOO much more to experience.

Now, there are SOME cities around here that do have their own forum. If y'all want to see some REAL fighting just venture over to the Rowlett forum. OMYGOSH! They make this whole thing look like a Sunday Picnic in the park on a perfect weather day and we are all sitting around singing and holding hands. Since I used to live there I found it then. I only venture over there to read and get a good belly laugh and crack up over the nonsense. It is pretty hysterical. Talk about making your own city look bad - those folks sure know how to. Maybe they need to get some education from the folks over in West Plano to help elevate them a bit.

Yes, it does get old hearing the same things over and over and over about each area and the state (usually from people that are not familiar with the area). Most of it is unfounded and not the honest truth. Then every now and then someone that fits that mold rears their ugly head . I usually take it all with a grain of salt and since it is hard to hear someones tone of voice and their facial expressions to know how serious they are I do use the smilies and the occassional "Lol" to let readers know I'm in a lighthearted mood (which I am about 99.9% of the time).

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM

103 posts, read 504,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd say we can all see exactly what the OP means.

1. Yes, she is entitled to her opinion. Does that mean the rest of us are not????

2. While she may not want to see it in any part of Plano she REALLY only cares about WEST Plano. If the city passed a law just for WEST Plano she would be perfectly fine.

3. She does not care if the people in other cities nearby or even in other parts of Plano have to deal w/ "trash". As long as it is not in HER area. Those that are in other areas are not entitled to the same respect, cleanliness and order that she is.

4. That the OP ONLY visits, shops and drives in WEST Plano and does not venture much out of her bubble.
1. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never said otherwise. In fact, it's interesting to read everyone's thoughts. That's what I asked for in my original post.

2. Of course I care about West Plano. That's where I live and I have an expectation about my environment, even if you don't.

3. When have I ever, in any of these posts, used the word "trash?" I said eyesore. If you're going to translate my opinion for me, at least get it right.

4. You have no idea where I go and what I do. Of course I spend a lot of time in West Plano, whether that's shopping, going to movies, or simply hanging out in my backyard. But for you to assume rarely venture out of my bubble is an assumption for which you have zero basis. Seein' as how you don't know me and all...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM

6,831 posts, read 14,077,088 times
I went back and read the OP's post to get a feel for just what was being said. As I understood it they understand panhandling is a statewide problem. They had it in Austin but should not have to endure it in Plano. That's somewhat elitest in my opinion. I also got the impression that it was okay with her as long as the person was clean cut because it would make the person asking for money more legit. I got the impression that the OP does not like panhandling at all but if it must happen the panhandlers should at least be clean cut and decently dressed to make their cause more legitimate.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 12,879 times
I think that Mary is missing the point. Many people currently living in the so called elitist areas did not start there and have worked very hard to get to a place in their lives where they do not have to see the ugly side of life every day.
What would be the point investing a huge effort and considerable money to live in a neighbourhood that has no advantages over any other area.
Many years ago, I lived in Toronto Canada and was approached many times on a daily basis for one hand out or another. After a very short time you become immune and don't even acknowledge the panhandlers, but that does not mean that it is not annoying.
The point is....If you pay the entry fee (home price) to get into a good neighbourhood and the maintenance fees(taxes) to stay there, you should be insulated to a certain extent from the less desirable things in life. I do understand that crime happens everywhere, but that doesn't mean that I have to invite crime. The same holds true for panhandlers and vagrants.
I will gladly welcome vagrants that choose to purchase a home and pay the HOA fees and taxes.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiper138 View Post
i think that mary is missing the point. Many people currently living in the so called elitist areas did not start there and have worked very hard to get to a place in their lives where they do not have to see the ugly side of life every day.
What would be the point investing a huge effort and considerable money to live in a neighbourhood that has no advantages over any other area.
Many years ago, i lived in toronto canada and was approached many times on a daily basis for one hand out or another. After a very short time you become immune and don't even acknowledge the panhandlers, but that does not mean that it is not annoying.
The point is....if you pay the entry fee (home price) to get into a good neighbourhood and the maintenance fees(taxes) to stay there, you should be insulated to a certain extent from the less desirable things in life. I do understand that crime happens everywhere, but that doesn't mean that i have to invite crime. The same holds true for panhandlers and vagrants.
I will gladly welcome vagrants that choose to purchase a home and pay the hoa fees and taxes.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 AM

636 posts, read 1,919,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I went back and read the OP's post to get a feel for just what was being said. As I understood it they understand panhandling is a statewide problem. They had it in Austin but should not have to endure it in Plano. That's somewhat elitest in my opinion. I also got the impression that it was okay with her as long as the person was clean cut because it would make the person asking for money more legit. I got the impression that the OP does not like panhandling at all but if it must happen the panhandlers should at least be clean cut and decently dressed to make their cause more legitimate.

Will you agree that citizens of Austin and those in Plano, while having many of the same values and expectations will also have, as groups, differing ones?

Do you agree or disagree that many cities have ordinances regulating visual clutter, panhandling and charity events in the right of way, and that those ordinances are passed by politicians elected by the citizens of that city?

Is it possible that the OP was specific because that is where she lives? I'd be willing to bet that she would have no problem if anyone in another city felt the same way about where they live.

Earlier in this thread I rattled off some places I have lived, just in the metroplex. I can tell you some stories that would make this one look lame. I have seen people complain about a cross, at a church, on the churches private property, because they didn't want to look at it.

This is understandable, you say, as the guy didn't want to look at it from his back yard. It wasn't a guy, it was a bunch of people, and they didn't even live in the same town where the church was; they could see it from the highway as they drove through. I only know for sure where one of them was from, because they wrote an editorial in the DMN about it. I'm not going to tell you where they were from, because one of you live there. But it wasn't Plano, east or west.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM

308 posts, read 1,233,971 times
Dallas has outlawed panhandling, why not call up your city council and demand the same.

The panhandlers are all con artists or drug/alcohol addicts and need to be run out of town. It still occurs in Dallas but much less so that before the law was passed.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 AM

636 posts, read 1,919,236 times
Now on a lighter note, if any of you ladies are stressed out over this whole thing, I'd like to bring your attention to the special rates we're having today, and today only, at the Hair Removal Offices of Cobb & Kooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas