Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 240,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
The panhandlers are all con artists or drug/alcohol addicts and need to be run out of town.
This is so wrong on so many levels.
1. That's a blanket statement that has no backing
2. Because they are drug-addicts they have no rights? The city has no responsibility to them?
3. If you run them out of town where will the go? That's so short sighted -because you know where they end up - in the neighboring city - Dallas's problem is now Plano's -Great Plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Quote:
Really? Like everyone in west Plano is a snob?

Quote:
2. Because they are drug-addicts they have no rights? The city has no responsibility to them?
Who said they have no rights?
City has a responsibility to them? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're joking. NO.

Quote:
3. If you run them out of town where will the go? That's so short sighted -because you know where they end up - in the neighboring city - Dallas's problem is now Plano's -Great Plan!
Ok, well you work on how to save the world, and let us know when you figure it out. In the meantime, we'll start a little more humbly, with where we live. Like most people do. Like I said, NIMBY isn't restricted to Plano. You'd scream if that refinery moved in behind your house.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Dallas has outlawed panhandling, why not call up your city council and demand the same.
They did. On Streets with moving vehicles I think this was a wise call. It was a public safety issue.
On sidewalks etc, seems to me like a free speech violation. Again I don't give money to panhandlers, all evidence shows it is a terrible way to fight poverty, and homelessness, but I'm not sure it is right to tell people they can't ask me for money (again barring things like impeding traffic which is a separate problem)

Quote:
The panhandlers are all con artists or drug/alcohol addicts
Simply not true, Are there some con artists? You bet. Are there a LOT of drug addicts? Yep. You seem to have forgotten one of the single largest group s that make up the homeless/panhandling population. The mentally ill. These people are often homeless through no fault of their own. A member of my wife's family is schizophrenic. With close family who have put out a HUGE amount of money she is now able to live independently, work and live a normal life. It took about 20 years. If that family hadn't had money, or hadn't lived locally she'd be on the street or dead by now. Go volunteer at the Austin Street Shelter for an evening you will see how many of these people have mental problems.
Quote:
and need to be run out of town.
To where exactly?

Your statement is a gross oversimplification, and simply inaccurate in places.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Now on a lighter note, if any of you ladies are stressed out over this whole thing, I'd like to bring your attention to the special rates we're having today, and today only, at the Hair Removal Offices of Cobb & Kooter.
And don't forget that the Hair Removal Offices of Cobb & Kooter are now open 24/7 for your enjoyment.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
And don't forget that the Hair Removal Offices of Cobb & Kooter are now open 24/7 for your enjoyment.
At Cobb & Kooter, our motto is: "Choose the Razor, not the Laser!".

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
Quote:
At Cobb & Kooter, our motto is: "Choose the Razor, not the Laser!".
And let us not forget how we built our reputation at Cobb & Kooter Hair Removal of having a soft touch.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
This is so wrong on so many levels.

1) Not true, it is well documented through research, not to mention personal experience.

2) I didn't say that, but they certainly do not have any right to bother honest working people.

3) It doesn't matter, jail would be a good place.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Simply not true, Are there some con artists? You bet. Are there a LOT of drug addicts? Yep. You seem to have forgotten one of the single largest group s that make up the homeless/panhandling population. The mentally ill.
You are incorrect. I did forget the mentally ill, and they should be excluded from my generalization, but most panhandlers are drug addicts. That's a fact, and you can verify it yourself with a little research. Also there are many state/govt run hospitals for the mentally ill.

The panhandlers are there by choice to exploit the good nature of most people and I have zero sympathy.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Now on a lighter note, if any of you ladies are stressed out over this whole thing, I'd like to bring your attention to the special rates we're having today, and today only, at the Hair Removal Offices of Cobb & Kooter.
BUT, is HAIR the ONLY thing they "REMOVE"

Darn, and I thought you were going to invite all us "rednecks" and lowly citizens to come over to West Plano in our pick'em up trucks and have a beer at the local bar and pool hall. We'd start out in Plano and then after we are good and drunk parade up thar to Frisclosure to that high falutin place called Stonebriar in our not so fancy trucks with beer cans flying out the back of em.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
You are incorrect. I did forget the mentally ill, and they should be excluded from my generalization, but most panhandlers are drug addicts. That's a fact, and you can verify it yourself with a little research. Also there are many state/govt run hospitals for the mentally ill.

The panhandlers are there by choice to exploit the good nature of most people and I have zero sympathy.

Most homeless folks are mentally ill not drug addicts. A vist to downtown Dallas will make this very clear. I doubt any panhandler is there by choice. The ones that are mentally ill may not have a choice. The drug addicts and drunks may have made some bad choices along the way but I doubt if they are there by choice. When I was in college in Houston I meet a guy that was homeless. He was trying to get a free ride from the driver but was very articulate. I struck up a conversation with him and found out he had a masters degree. He explained that he had gotten hooked on gambling and lost everything he owned. Because of his problem none of this relatives were willing to help him. He blamed himself for the situation he was in said he had given up on life in general. It was something I would never forget and even now I think about him when I see a homeless person. It makes me wonder what is that persons story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas