Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM

636 posts, read 1,917,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
I certainly don't belong in West Plano, then. I'm not snobby enough.
Don't sell yourself short; a little more polish and you'd be a perfect candidate to be MaryS80's neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,245,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Ah, it was only a matter of time until the same tired old recipe of insults was spewed out as if by a hateful robot with food poisoning.

Thanks for the brilliant insight. Fortunately for Plano, you aren't involved in the decision making process regarding how the town functions. You are merely a bitter outsider, who feels the need to pat yourself on the back, because you aren't subjected to the horror known as Plano.

Your accusations of snobbery prove you to actually be the snob, in your vain and pathetic efforts to show how much better you are than someone else. And as always, and with all others of your shallow nature, it shines through like a spotlight.
Yeah thats just it, I'm jealous because I don't live in Plano. Trust me I am more than happy to stay in Dallas, Richardson, or Garland. I never claimed to be better than anyone, nor do I think I am. I don't think you, the OP or the others who are so offended my panhandlers are bad people. I just think it's elitist and shallow.

If the OP would have said something like, " i seen people panhandling, isn't this illegal?" than I would have not though anything of it. But to say that "they don't belong here" is treading a dangerous line.

Truth be told Plano is a nice place and has a lot to offer, but no one should think that living there puts them above certain things.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Yeah thats just it, I'm jealous because I don't live in Plano. Trust me I am more than happy to stay in Dallas, Richardson, or Garland. I never claimed to be better than anyone, nor do I think I am. I don't think you, the OP or the others who are so offended my panhandlers are bad people. I just think it's elitist and shallow.

If the OP would have said something like, " i seen people panhandling, isn't this illegal?" than I would have not though anything of it. But to say that "they don't belong here" is treading a dangerous line.

Truth be told Plano is a nice place and has a lot to offer, but no one should think that living there puts them above certain things.
Ok, at least we can debate your last post a bit more rationally. Surely you can admit that certain communities have citizens with different levels of expectations? Do you really think that every community is the same? It doesn't mean one is better than the other. Hopefully we all have the same core values, but it is a fact that residents in certain towns expect different things.

I was born and raised in Plano. I have since lived in College Station, Richardson, Grapevine, Bedford, Garland, and Plano again (not necessarilly in that order). I loved every single one of those towns; each one was truly wonderful. I can honestly tell you that I have always loved Dallas and Ft Worth as well.

But I can guarantee you that each of these cities is vastly different, and the people that live in each demand different things. Yes, people in Plano, in general demand a more aesthetic environment, and by aesthetic, I mean THEIR definition of aesthetic. It's a fact, and it's not going to change.

This rubs a lot of people the wrong way, because if they demanded the same thing, they wouldn't get it. Often, in Plano they do get it. it may tick you and others off, but it is what it is. You could choose to live in Plano, but you've made it clear that you wouldn't want to. But there's no reason to insult them if their level of expectation is different than yours.

We are clearly going to have to agree to disagree. But it would be nice if it could be done civilly. I have no desire to attack anyone on these boards, but when the insults start flying, I'm just redneck enough to fire back.

Take care Mary, and remember, this is just the internet, and my responses to your negative comments are just words on a screen.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,245,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Ok, at least we can debate your last post a bit more rationally. Surely you can admit that certain communities have citizens with different levels of expectations? Do you really think that every community is the same? It doesn't mean one is better than the other. Hopefully we all have the same core values, but it is a fact that residents in certain towns expect different things.

I was born and raised in Plano. I have since lived in College Station, Richardson, Grapevine, Bedford, Garland, and Plano again. I loved every single one of those towns. I can honestly tell you that I truly love Dallas and Ft Worth as well.

But I can guarantee you that each of these cities is vastly different, and the people that live in each demand different things. Yes, people in Plano, in general demand a more aesthetic environment, and by aesthetic, I mean THEIR definition of aesthetic. It's a fact, and it's not going to change.

This rubs a lot of people the wrong way, because if they demanded the same thing, they wouldn't get it. Often, in Plano they do get it. it may tick you and others off, but it is what it is. You could choose to live in Plano, but you've made it clear that you wouldn't want to. But there's no reason to insult them if their level of expectation is different than yours.

We are clearly going to have to agree to disagree. But it would be nice if it could be done civilly. I have no desire to attack anyone on these boards, but when the insults start flying, I'm just redneck enough to fire back.

Take care Mary, and remember, this is just the internet, and my responses to your negative comments are just words on a screen.
Well hey at least you aren't too Plano to admit being a little bit Redneck. I'm sure Plano must be very special, you grew up there. It was obviously a very different place. I've live all over the metroplex myself. I can remember when Plano first started to boom in the 80's, and then it took off like a rocket in the 90's. It might be cool to have insight from someone like you who knew as a small community. I watched my old hometown, Rowlett do the same. I remember a place with two lane roads, fields, and a Dairy Queen and one grocery store.

I realize its just words on a screen, and that half of what you say is probably just inflammatory. Such as the comment referring to others as "little people".

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to turn other on to Plano take a more positive approach. Tell us about the schools, the low crime rate, the shopping and dining. Don't just say we are jealous little nobodies. If I came across as harsh, I apologize.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 PM

869 posts, read 2,956,759 times
Plano is THE DEVIL!

C'mon Ty, respond to that one!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
Plano is THE DEVIL!

C'mon Ty, respond to that one!

Terrible analogy; Plano is HELL, inhabited by the devil!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
I'm just not sure how "I want to live somewhere where strange people aren't trying to get money out of my car window" translates into "I'm a snob who thinks everyone else is beneath me." I've never believed having money makes people better than someone else. That's a ludicrous notion.

It's so funny...anyone who knows me personally would laugh hysterically at the idea that I'm a "snob." I'm a golden rule person who spends the day in crises and social ills and suffering and I like to go home to something pretty and quiet.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM

869 posts, read 2,956,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm just not sure how "I want to live somewhere where strange people aren't trying to get money out of my car window" translates into "I'm a snob who thinks everyone else is beneath me." I've never believed having money makes people better than someone else. That's a ludicrous notion.

It's so funny...anyone who knows me personally would laugh hysterically at the idea that I'm a "snob." I'm a golden rule person who spends the day in crises and social ills and suffering and I like to go home to something pretty and quiet.
It's just the over-simplified application of old stereotypes.

I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Plano is Plano, big deal. Its just another cookie cutter suburb. There are a lot more affluent areas in Dallas & other parts of Texas.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,958,173 times
thank you for your insight metro matt. I really felt that you contributed to this discussion. I look forward to more brilliant insights from you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas