Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM

103 posts, read 503,307 times

Advertisements

First thing I want to put on this list are the groups of people who, presumably for some charitable organization, take over all corners of an intersection and ask that drivers' spare change be put in the white bucket they're toting around.

I found this to be not only commonplace but also readily accepted when I lived in Austin, but here in Plano I don't want to see it. Forgive me, but I can't help but question the legitimacy of the group. Occasionally they may dress it up a little bit...but someone in jeans and a t-shirt, holding a bucket at an intersection, appears more homeless than philanthropic.
I assume a faded picture of a needy child taped haphazardly to the bucket is supposed to convince me otherwise.

I have no problem with the firefighters and their boots, btw...just so's you don't think I have a problem with charity in general. The fire truck parked nearby covers all my legitimacy concerns.

Thoughts? Anything anyone else would like to add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,425 times
Lakewooder.

oh wait, that's things that don't belong in a thread ABOUT West Plano.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,877 times
Is this a joke, or are you that full of yourself? I'm so tired of people from West Plano and Frisco being a bunch of elitist snobs who are offended if they dare have to associate with the common folks.

Who knows if they are legit, if you don't like them or don't think they are legit than don't donate, simple enough.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
No, I don't care for these people on the street, either. It just ruins the ambience of the whole area and makes me feel unsafe.

Ever think we moved to West Plano to get away from those things?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:49 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,453 times
Uh, I live in west Plano and the only people I've ever seen on the corners are fire fighters collecting money for Jerry's Kids. Do you see these people a lot? What cross streets are you talking about?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM

I saw those people, too. Tollway and Park. With some raggedy cans, walking in the middle of the street and on the corner.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, I don't care for these people on the street, either. It just ruins the ambience of the whole area and makes me feel unsafe.

Ever think we moved to West Plano to get away from those things?
There is this little thing called the real world and as much as you all want to wish and pretend that you lived in perfect little Utopian bubble, you don't.

You could easily lose your job, or get injured and be unable to work, and unless you have substantial investments or savings than you could easily be broke, poor, or struggling.

Don't for one minute think you are better than anyone. How would you feel if someone looked down on you and thought of you as somehow less of a person?

West Plano might be moneyed, but with attitudes like that you have a lot to learn.

I'm no bleeding heart, but the one thing that irks me is a holier than thou attitude.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
There is this little thing called the real world and as much as you all want to wish and pretend that you lived in perfect little Utopian bubble, you don't.

You could easily lose your job, or get injured and be unable to work, and unless you have substantial investments or savings than you could easily be broke, poor, or struggling.

Don't for one minute think you are better than anyone. How would you feel if someone looked down on you and thought of you as somehow less of a person?

West Plano might be moneyed, but with attitudes like that you have a lot to learn.

I'm no bleeding heart, but the one thing that irks me is a holier than thou attitude.
Hey, Miss Really Holier Than Thou,

I grew up with unspeakable poverty around me. People lived in ditches. Had no clothes. Not like poverty in this country.

So I spend and have spent a lot of time and money helping people in those situations.

I don't think it's too much to ask to pay a little extra to live in a nice place, with less crime, and with pretty surroundings. That makes me neither oblivious nor heartless.

Get over yourself.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM

103 posts, read 503,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Is this a joke, or are you that full of yourself? I'm so tired of people from West Plano and Frisco being a bunch of elitist snobs who are offended if they dare have to associate with the common folks.

Who knows if they are legit, if you don't like them or don't think they are legit than don't donate, simple enough.
I don't even care if it sounds elitist. I'm telling you that when the community just accepts it, it becomes very commonplace before you know it (i.e. San Francisco, Austin, urban areas of various cities). I shouldn't have to ignore it...last I heard Dallas had an anti-panhandling ordinance. I'm sure Plano, in all its elitist glory, must have something similar on the books.

Maybe when someone squeegees your windshield at the stoplight you would finally be bothered by it?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey, Miss Really Holier Than Thou,

I grew up with unspeakable poverty around me. People lived in ditches. Had no clothes. Not like poverty in this country.

So I spend and have spent a lot of time and money helping people in those situations.

I don't think it's too much to ask to pay a little extra to live in a nice place, with less crime, and with pretty surroundings. That makes me neither oblivious nor heartless.

Get over yourself.
Just because you pay extra money, or live in a nice area does not mean you exempt from the ugly side of life.

Obviously those people are going to your neighborhood because thats where the money is. It would not make much sense for them to go panhandle in a poor area.

I just think its extremely stuck up, and arrogant that you feel somehow bothered or put out that you even have to look at these people. Maybe we should just round up all the lowly untouchables and kill them so your poor eyes and perfect little West Plano doesn't have to be burdened by them.

Crime can and does happen everywhere, so if you think otherwise you are only fooling yourself.

Your attitude disgusts me, and nothing is going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas