Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,805 times

Advertisements

Tycobb.. isn't it funny how we find ourselves on either the exact same side, or the compete opposite sides of every issue. Never in between
Look,
I'm not exactly a fan of West Plano, but this is an understandable thing to be upset by. First and foremost it is dangerous. Second, there are a lot of things that other people think governments/hoa's have a right to do that I do not, but I think we can all agree that passing laws regarding traffic safety and commerce in the city streets are on the list of things a city should regulate.
Myself I'm glad for the anti-panhandling laws in Dallas. At least in traffic. I don't think it should be illegal on the sidewalks with pedestrians, annoying sure, but it seems to me pretty much a free speech issue in that case. In the streets it is a danger period paragraph. It causes accidents period paragraph. And activities like that not only can be but should be regulated by the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM

103 posts, read 503,759 times
Ok, after all this brouhaha the original poster will chime back in. For you conspiracy theorists out there, I'm not a "plant" designed to shed a negative light on West Plano. I really do live in West Plano, I really do have certain expectations about what I do and don't want to see in the neighborhood, and I really am not trying to be overly sensational. I'm telling you how I feel, and every one of you has a right not to like it or disagree wholeheartedly.

Perhaps if I focused a little less on the "I don't want to see it in West Plano" topic and more on the legitimacy topic people would be less offended by my opinion. Let me first say that we contribute to many, many charities. I have given money to firefighters, state troopers, the SPCA, Public Television, breast cancer research, museums, Goodwill, etc, etc. I don't even itemize my taxes so it's not for the purposes of deduction, either. All I'm saying is that if I'm going to be opening up my wallet to help solve any of America's many crises, then I want to know that my dollars are actually going to those in need. When I write a check to the SPCA, I know an abandoned puppy will benefit from a blanket. When I drop coins in a bucket on the side of the road, I have no such assurances.

So, enough with the liberal attacks...you're not going to change my opinion and I'm not going to change yours. Let's try to be respectful.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,245,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Of course I'm not exempt from the "unfortunate" and "ugly" side of life, because I have made it my full-time career (and my LIFE) to help people.

I have a sneaking suspicion you're one of those liberals who talks a good talk...how many countries have you visited to minister to the poor? How many volunteer hours do you log? How much money do you donate?

And even if you do any of those things, who are you to question what kind of atmosphere I want to live in and want to raise my kids in?
Actually I'm not a liberal at all. I'm a Libertarian, and Libertarians are more financially conservative than Republicans.

I just believe in treating others fairly and with dignity. There's this little things called humility, you should try it sometime.

I donate regularly to many charities, MDA, Salvation Army, Red Cross, and various animal rescue groups.

Sorry I don't think Plano is a great place to raise a kid. It's filled with petty, fake, superficial, and indulgent people. It may have it's McMasions with perfectly manicured lawns, 2.5 kids, and an SUV but its all materialistic. The posts made by the West Plano crowd have proved you lack any humanity.

I would want my kids to see there is a world outside the perfect little suburb. I would not want my kids to think they were better simply because they lived in a particular ZIP code.

If you help people, that great, more power to you. Just don't act disgusted because some supposedly inferior person is encroaching on your "pretty" part of town. What upset me is that people are acting like its some crime against humanity that some poorly dressed person is standing on a corner in "their" part of town.

This is where the stereotype of Dallitude, and the Ugly American stems from. West Plano is not some high holy land, its just a place, and there are thousands of other places like it.

I can totally understand wanting a safe place with good schools to raise your kids. But the "oh my god a panhandler is West Plano, what is the world coming to" is just nonsense. It could be a lot worse, you could be having your home broken into. There could be hookers and thugs waling the street, but there isn't. Hell its not even homeless people. There just people, probably from some church.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM

625 posts, read 1,958,435 times
I think the whole problem is that "West Plano" is in there. Putting that in there implies you have certain attitudes and implies that they should go to Dallas or wherever.

I think your original point can be made simply by removing the "West Plano" portion. Adding it doesn't add any positives to your post.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM

636 posts, read 1,917,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Tycobb.. isn't it funny how we find ourselves on either the exact same side, or the compete opposite sides of every issue. Never in between
Oh, but that's what keeps it interesting. I'll often argue a point I completely disagree with, just because I think people have a right to expect their community, HOA, school, etc. to be the way they want it, no matter how ridiculous their expectations it may be. That's why we all choose to live where we do.

Just look at the Texas forum and see how bent out of shape people get when someone from California tries to tell them how Texas should be. People will naturally defend ideological attacks on their home. Doesn't mean we don't like each other; just disagree on some things on a silly, anonymous chat board!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
Well said MaryS80. My dad did his best to teach me how to be nice to everyone. Treat the janitor and the CEO the same way. Money does not make you any better or worse than anyone. To think it does really shows what kind of a person you really are. No matter how well off you are there is always going to be someone above you and beneath you.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I just believe in treating others fairly and with dignity, then: Better than everyone else, petty, fake, zip code, superficial, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Ah, it was only a matter of time until the same tired old recipe of insults was spewed out as if by a hateful robot with food poisoning.

Thanks for the brilliant insight. Fortunately for Plano, you aren't involved in the decision making process regarding how the town functions. You are merely a bitter outsider, who feels the need to pat yourself on the back, because you aren't subjected to the horror known as Plano.

Your accusations of snobbery prove you to actually be the snob, in your vain and pathetic efforts to show how much better you are than someone else. And as always, and with all others of your shallow nature, it shines through like a spotlight.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 08-21-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Well said MaryS80. My dad did his best to teach me how to be nice to everyone. Treat the janitor and the CEO the same way. Money does not make you any better or worse than anyone. To think it does really shows what kind of a person you really are. No matter how well off you are there is always going to be someone above you and beneath you.
Yes, and Mary was certainly 'nice' in her post wasn't she? I find it absolutely hilarious how arrogant people are in their efforts to prove how arrogant others are...

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM

103 posts, read 503,759 times
I see. So you all feel that I'm basically calling 75093 the new 90210. I'm sorry if my opinion is turning everyone's stomach. I know there are people from ANY part of Plano that do agree with me that to see people panhandling is unsightly. Of course, they may not bother to post as they are sure to be immediately reamed in the manner that I was.

No one, anywhere, wants to have panhandlers in their neighborhood. The point about "West Plano" is that in light of its higher property taxes and overall affluent nature, one would think that it affords some degree of insulation from things one might consider to be an eyesore. Many people call this a bubble. I call this a nice place to live. If anyone of you found yourselves in any given neighborhood, and had the means to move your family to a neighborhood with better schools, safer neighborhoods, and a cleaner environment overall, would anyone hesitate to improve their situation?

I just want this nice place to live, to stay that way. And buckets on street corners don't keep us headed in the right direction.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM

264 posts, read 1,185,397 times
I certainly don't belong in West Plano, then. I'm not snobby enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas