Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,205 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved from a Chicago suburb to Plano, and it has been great. I've found almost everything to be equal, if not better than Chicago. Everything is so convenient and cost especially housing is low. Being in September, weather is a big plus when compared with Chicago.

I have a toddler so we tried quickly to find things for him to do. All the thing we used to do in Chicago we can almost always find a counterpart that is equivalent or better, except for a few things that I found to be lacking. It's likely that I didn't find the right place, so I'd like to hear your advice.

- there is no sandbox in the neighborhood playground/park, not in the 5-6 parks that I've been to. Is it because of the heat that sand can pose a hazard?
- I went to the local library but was disappointed. The facility is old and small with a much narrower collection of books compared with Chicago. The kid's area is very small with very limited toys. Is it because of the branch I went to? I was at the one off Independence. I know there are several more libraries, are those better?
- Is there a children's museum comparable to the Children's museum in Chicago?
- Where can I find a train ride that's suitable for a toddler? I didn't see any railroad tracks as I was driving around?

Thank you and I'm already feeling like part of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nengx View Post
Hi,

I just moved from a Chicago suburb to Plano, and it has been great. I've found almost everything to be equal, if not better than Chicago. Everything is so convenient and cost especially housing is low. Being in September, weather is a big plus when compared with Chicago.

I have a toddler so we tried quickly to find things for him to do. All the thing we used to do in Chicago we can almost always find a counterpart that is equivalent or better, except for a few things that I found to be lacking. It's likely that I didn't find the right place, so I'd like to hear your advice.

- there is no sandbox in the neighborhood playground/park, not in the 5-6 parks that I've been to. Is it because of the heat that sand can pose a hazard?

Fire ants are very comfortable in sand.

- I went to the local library but was disappointed. The facility is old and small with a much narrower collection of books compared with Chicago. The kid's area is very small with very limited toys. Is it because of the branch I went to? I was at the one off Independence. I know there are several more libraries, are those better?
- Is there a children's museum comparable to the Children's museum in Chicago?
- Where can I find a train ride that's suitable for a toddler? I didn't see any railroad tracks as I was driving around?

Thank you and I'm already feeling like part of Dallas.
There is a very nice Children's Museum but it is in Fair Park Dallas. You must visit Fair Park and the little museums there. They are not world class, but nice, and fun for kids. They DO have a VERY NICE sandbox inside there in the dinosaur section.
Outdoor parks in Plano suck. It's always either to hot, too nippy, too allergyish and now we have the lovely addition of West Nile Virus.
There are two libraries near Independence that I enjoy. The Richardson PL is at Arapaho and US75. Very nice for kids. The main library of Plano is on Preston just west of Whole Foods.

Other options in Plano:
Amazing Jake's in the Collin Creek Mall is a big playland but pricey and maybe for older kids. Nice pizza buffet though.
In that same mall, they have a children's train by the food court. $2.
Chucky Cheese is hard to beat. On Preston near Whole Foods.
There's a playland at Central Market on Coit with a cybercafe adjacent. Pancake breakfast on Saturdays.
There's a place called Planet Pizza on Custer at Parker. Indoor rides but maybe not for toddlers so much.

I think the King of all things for little kids though is the McDonalds with playlands. The McD playlands are far safer than the ones in the parks (one in Richardson a grown up could get killed on!). They are always filled with kids and parents having fun. Sure McD isn't the best food, but they do their playland right. With free wifi and free drink refills, what more couldja want? The best ones are at:

Campbell Road Richardson - lively and fun, nice crew
15th St Plano just east of 75 - Lots of pretty little Latino families, big playland
Central Market Plaza on Coit: not as many kids but this little playland is easier to manage a toddler since it's rather small.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM

wow, I see. So the best playground is moved indoors to the Big M!

The train ride we'll go this weekend!

Thanks for all the detailed info!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
For the train, i take my toddler girl on the DART train about once a month. She loves seeing all the people, watching the world go by, and i'm sure no carseat is nice too. You can take DART to Fair Park, where the children's museum is. I've been to the excellent one in Chicago, and didn't know Dallas even had one. Yay to CityData so I've learned something too.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM

30 posts, read 96,140 times
We have a toddler and just moved to the FAR FAR north side of Dallas, on the edge of Plano.

Here is what we have done thus far:

*Our library (Frankford/Hillcrest) is also subpar, though they do have story reading activities on Tuesday evenings that our boy likes.
*We have a park at the intersection that we also use, he likes the merry-go-round and slides. It is all sand in the play area.
*Signed him up for Gymboree and take him to the open gym hours, in addition to the scheduled class times. He loves it.
*He liked the children's aquarium in Fair Park, but I found it dumpy. The Dallas World Aquarium is awesome, but expensive and BUSY. So we joined the Dallas Zoo and he loves it. Mainly the children's area with the water area..
*I have been meaning to take the boy to this: Museum of the American Railroad > Home -- but it looks like it is now closed because it is moving to Frisco.
*He LOVES going to the play area in the Willowbend mall. It is probably his favorite thing to do.. During the summer heat, it was his main outlet because the park was too hot.

Good to know about Central Market play area. Now I recall seeing it, but stopped noticing.

The Arbor Hill Nature Preserve in Plano is a good area to let your boy run around. City of Plano - Home

Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The BEST kids train ride in the DFW metro is right outside the Fort Worth Zoo:
Forest Park Miniature Railroad

Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks to you all for suggestions.

What is that area with the Verandah Pool and Sawyer Pool a little north of the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM

30 posts, read 96,140 times
Are you talking about Austin Ranch apartment complex?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
The McKinney Ave Trolley is fun for kids....and it's free! It runs through Uptown down to the Arts District in Dallas. Look for First Tuesdays at DMA - Dallas Museum of Art - there are family and toddler activities...also free.

My favorite train is in Ft Worth near the entrance of Ft Worth Zoo. It's called the Forest Park Train and takes a nice long ride into Trinity Park where it makes a stop for popcorn and soda.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDenver2 View Post
Are you talking about Austin Ranch apartment complex?
Ha, that's an apartment complex? I was just viewing the satellite view and looks like a resort to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas