Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes. 110 degrees in August with a mask sounds disgusting. But I’ll do it to protect my high-risk family members, friends & clients.
I can identify with the overall sentiment that the OP is expressing, though the complaining about the face mask in the present time is misplaced.

At a certain point, some resemblance of normalcy needs to return. I'm not sure how long I can go wearing masks to a grocery store. If it was just masks alone at the grocery store, it would be one thing. I have numerous personal and professional life initiatives that are currently deferred indefinitely due to this virus. It is stress inducing and frustrating.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Okay, yeah, my 30-year-old daughter just moved back in with us.
Like your daughter, I am a Millennial. A 30 year old going to live with their parents or other family member is so Millennial. Millennials have lived at home with their parents in their 20s and 30s commonly since the mid-2000s. My last year of undergrad was 2004-05. It was pretty common for the graduating classes of 2005 and 2006 to live at home immediately after college, and this was before the Great Recession. The Great Recession deepened that trend. Throughout the 2010s, Millennials were still living with their parents in droves. Millennials have had the 2 worst recessions post World War II during their 20s/30s, the formative young adult years.

I feel fortunate not to be living with a parent or other family member.

Dallas isn't the only place where this is happening.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:59 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Like your daughter, I am a Millennial. A 30 year old going to live with their parents or other family member is so Millennial. Millennials have lived at home with their parents in their 20s and 30s commonly since the mid-2000s. My last year of undergrad was 2004-05. It was pretty common for the graduating classes of 2005 and 2006 to live at home immediately after college, and this was before the Great Recession. The Great Recession deepened that trend. Throughout the 2010s, Millennials were still living with their parents in droves. Millennials have had the 2 worst recessions post World War II during their 20s/30s, the formative young adult years.

I feel fortunate not to be living with a parent or other family member.

Dallas isn't the only place where this is happening.
My point is that the generations are not so cleanly physically separated in society that we can say, "Let the young work and let the old be cloistered away from them."

Old 04-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I can identify with the overall sentiment that the OP is expressing, though the complaining about the face mask in the present time is misplaced.

At a certain point, some resemblance of normalcy needs to return. I'm not sure how long I can go wearing masks to a grocery store. If it was just masks alone at the grocery store, it would be one thing. I have numerous personal and professional life initiatives that are currently deferred indefinitely due to this virus. It is stress inducing and frustrating.

Oh, as a portrait photographer, my business is dead in the water with masks. The thing is, for my own protection, I need my portrait clients to be the ones wearing the masks. That doesn't work very well.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
My point is that the generations are not so cleanly physically separated in society that we can say, "Let the young work and let the old be cloistered away from them."
Valid point. I can think of examples from my real life social circle right now where there are temporarily multigenerational households due to shelter in place.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, as a portrait photographer, my business is dead in the water with masks. The thing is, for my own protection, I need my portrait clients to be the ones wearing the masks. That doesn't work very well.
I don't think mask portraits are going to be ever so stylish.

I'm saddened to learn about your business being dead in water right now. That's so unfortunate.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:13 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,200 times
Quote:
Hey Ralph, do you exclusively work in a studio or do you do natural light photography as well? Some photographers around here have done some really cool "front porch" photography raising money for charities in our community. Great way to get your name out there! Totally understand if you work in a studio and that's not your deal. I wish you the best and applaud you for taking such good care of your family. You sound like a very thoughtful husband taking care of your wife with her health issues.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Hey Ralph, do you exclusively work in a studio or do you do natural light photography as well? Some photographers around here have done some really cool "front porch" photography raising money for charities in our community. Great way to get your name out there! Totally understand if you work in a studio and that's not your deal. I wish you the best and applaud you for taking such good care of your family. You sound like a very thoughtful husband taking care of your wife with her health issues.

I've stopped working on the street (or parks); I'm too old to be dodging pedestrians, idiots, and sometimes cops. I work either in my own studio or in the homes of my clients--property under their control.

The "front porch" portrait thing had a bit of a spike, but it's run into issues in many localities where "non essential" businesses have been directed to shut down even if they could be run in a technically safe manner.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:31 PM

451 posts, read 320,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
I agree with you and the contributor you were quoting regarding the very inaccurate # of infections (low side), but that's because it supports the narrative (media & left) for shutting things down. Much higher infections/exposure translates to a less problematic concern, at least for all but the vulnerable among us, for the hospital system at large. The death # is more accurate, as you both noted, but the cause of the death isn't very accurate. There's been numerous reports indicating that many folks may have died with COVID-19, but not necessarily from COVID-19. Finally, it is my understanding there's still no vaccine for SARS or MARS, so I'm not totally optimistic that one will be developed for COVID-19 either? I hope so for our economic health.
SARS or MERS did not need a vaccine since it completely disappeared. It does not look like COVID-19 will just disappear and it is bound to return in fall/winter. If it does not return, it would be a miracle.

I just hope that we did not over-react to this crisis. Remember this quote from Dr. Fauci in mid-March which went on the following lines - "6 months from now, I would rather say we over-reacted than we under-reacted."

Also, I do not understand why there is not a push from the health officials on boosting immunity level through natural means like immunity boosting food like ginger, garlic, turmeric and vitamin supplements. I understand it is not a cure for any virus, however it helps in preventing getting the virus and managing it effectively, if you end up getting the virus. (On a side note, saw a note at the entrance in Costco that they were sold out on Emergen-C. That is a good sign that people are taking immunity boosting remedies.)

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 04-23-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 03:31 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This sounds about right to me, and it jives with what I've heard a few epidemiologists say. Right now, we are averaging about a 6-7% death rate per known case (30k new daily cases, 2k daily deaths a week later), so that would mean there are about six times as many cases as are known.

I would be surprised if actual cases are understated by a factor of more than 5-10x.

-------------
Btw, people, we are still seeing about 30k new cases and 2k deaths daily. There is no significant downward trend here. It is very slight and subtle, and it likely will persist for quite a while. We'll likely hit the 50k death figure today.

Fortunately, Texas seems to be faring extremely well. Perhaps this is because Texas cities are much more spread out and don't rely heavily on public transit. Who knows. But Texas' cases per million and deaths per million figures are about the lowest of any state that has significant cities and a decent population base.
If the antibody tests from NYC and California are correct and those same trends exist around the country that would mean that the mortality rate could be as low as .12%. Its too early to tell right now though how accurate those antibody tests are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas