Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The fact that we have a leader who thought it would be ok to inject people with bleach or that Lysol had to tell Americans not to drink their products shows us how dumb we really are.
He was only joking.

Trump: My Idea to Inject Disinfectant Was a Prank on Reporters ‘Just to See What Would Happen’
https://nymag.com./intelligencer/202...reporters.html
Quote:
Today he explained to reporters that he had just been joking. “I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you,” he said, “just to see what would happen.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:32 PM

Police issued a citation to Salon a la Mode, after it was opened at 9 am today.

Dallas salon owner issued citation after reopening against stay-at-home orders
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...1-8a4c380f19bc
Quote:
A Dallas hair salon owner was issued a citation after reopening her business, violating local and state executive orders to stay at home.

Salon a la Mode in Dallas opened at 9 a.m. Friday. Before doors opened she had a crowd of people outside to support owner Shelly Luther.

Some supporters carried guns and stayed outside while Luther welcomed customers into the salon.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:32 PM

577 posts, read 457,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
They have not explained explicitly as to what is the significance of that date.

However, the way I interpret it is, the model can say with certainty that there would be no new infections or deaths post that date for the current wave, if we are able to contain this virus through social distancing measures, and other guidelines. Earlier they had an assumption on the tracking page, saying that the current social distancing measures should be until 5/31. Now they just mention the following - "Current social distancing assumed until infections minimized and containment implemented".
Okay, thanks! So it's really just a tenative date and it depends on how well we handle things going forward (similar to how the 'peak' was also a tenative date)?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:40 PM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
That explains the low numbers in Africa, Middle East, South Asia and tropical countries. Some of the countries within these areas where there has been clusters, it could have been initiated by infected person(s) traveling into the country and spreading it. However, it seems to have been contained effectively quickly, precisely due to the higher temperatures, case in point - Singapore and India. That would also explain relatively better containment of the virus in Texas, California and Florida.

Parts of the world such as Northern Italy (Milan in Lombardy region is a travel hub) and New York had to bear the brunt of the virus because of multiple factors like density, lower temperatures and heavy influx of travelers (Business and Tourism).

Going forward, we need to continue with our social distancing and also have sound contract tracing measures in place. However I do think that we could re-open as quickly as May 1 in a phased manner. Geographically speaking, majority of the country can restart while we still have hot-spots such as NYC under lockdown until May 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This is what I’ve been saying all along. Of course it won’t completely stop spread, but it should help slow it.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...us?context=amp

Old 04-24-2020, 02:41 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He was only joking.

Trump: My Idea to Inject Disinfectant Was a Prank on Reporters ‘Just to See What Would Happen’
No he wasn’t. That’s just him trying to get out of it. He really was being that stupid.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That explains the low numbers in Africa, Middle East, South Asia and tropical countries. Some of the countries within these areas where there has been clusters, it could have been initiated by infected person(s) traveling into the country and spreading it. However, it seems to have been contained effectively quickly, precisely due to the higher temperatures, case in point - Singapore and India. That would also explain relatively better containment of the virus in Texas, California and Florida.

Parts of the world such as Northern Italy (Milan in Lombardy region is a travel hub) and New York had to bear the brunt of the virus because of multiple factors like density, lower temperatures and heavy influx of travelers (Business and Tourism).

Going forward, we need to continue with our social distancing and also have sound contract tracing measures in place. However I do think that we could re-open as quickly as May 1 in a phased manner. Geographically speaking, majority of the country can restart while we still have hot-spots such as NYC under lockdown until May 15.
Lack of testing can make the numbers look good in poor countries. The government can't compete with the USA and European countries for testing supplies.

Ecuador reports only 576 deaths (33 deaths per 1 million population). They have 7,600 more deaths between March 1 to April 15 than the average. Death certificates are listed as sudden lung failure.

Corpses are laying in homes for 6 days in 90+degree heat with no air conditioning. The funeral homes are unable to keep up with the deaths.

Ecuador’s Death Toll During Outbreak Is Among the Worst in the World
https://www.nytimes.com./2020/04/23/...ronavirus.html
Quote:
The spike in deaths caused chaos and anger outside hospitals and morgues, as grieving families struggled to recover the bodies of family members or to collect their death certificates. In the city’s poorer neighborhoods, some residents said they had to wait for up to six days in the 90-degree heat for emergency services to collect the bodies of deceased relatives and neighbors.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:02 PM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
One key aspect about the data that I would like to highlight - the number of deaths per day for many of the hot-spots like NY, Italy and Spain seem to be fluctuating up and down. We see a big fluctuation between the weekend and the Monday/Tuesday numbers. It may be happening because the reporting of deaths is not happening real-time. Also, it may not be happening consistently and in a standardized manner. This may be resulting in some of the numbers being reported the next day instead of the day that the death happened. Since it is aggregated to present the overall numbers for the state/country, the inconsistency in the actual times of reporting is leading to those fluctuations that we are seeing. So even though there may be a real trend if the data would have been reported accurately and in real-time, we are not able to visualize the trend on the data presented because of the inconsistencies in how the data is being reported across hospitals, regions.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:18 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
The US added almost 39,000 cases and just under 2,000 deaths today, making this our worst day yet for new daily cases. That's a terrible thing. Our previous high was 34k, yet we added almost 39k today. That is insane. Our curve is not lowering, and I have no idea how people think significant parts of the country are ready to be opened soon. We're adding new cases as fast as we ever have, and we're seeing 2,000 deaths pretty much every day.

Most guidelines from the experts (and I believe the White House has supported this metric) say a place should see continuously declining new cases for two weeks. Very few areas with significant population are close to that.

Quote:
He was only joking.

Haha. No he wasn't. Anyone watching the video knows he wasn't. He was clearly being serious, and his questions were directed at his medical team. I get being a homer for your guy, but come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Okay, thanks! So it's really just a tenative date and it depends on how well we handle things going forward (similar to how the 'peak' was also a tenative date)?
That's just the end of the model, nothing more. There is no certainly that this round will be over by then. Certainty doesn't exist with models.

Quote:
That explains the low numbers in Africa, Middle East, South Asia....

1. As another poster mentioned, poor countries aren't testing much. Africa hasn't tested much at all (I know Africa is not a country, btw).

I really hope the warm weather thing turns out to be significant, but I think a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion.

2. I have no idea how you arrived at May 1 for most of the country. Today was our biggest new cases day yet, with almost 39,000 new cases (previous high was 34k). How are we supposed to open in a week when today was the worst day so far? Most areas of the country that have any significant population base are nowhere close to having two weeks of consistently declining new case numbers.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Police issued a citation to Salon a la Mode, after it was opened at 9 am today.

Dallas salon owner issued citation after reopening against stay-at-home orders
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...1-8a4c380f19bc
I feel sorry for her, but not a smart move on her part. At this point, she only has a two week wait. Now, she has to pay a fine.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:55 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I feel sorry for her, but not a smart move on her part. At this point, she only has a two week wait. Now, she has to pay a fine.
Expect to see more of this.

People have to eat and they have to pay their bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas