Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 AM

34 posts, read 25,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

The initial deaths reported by most countries include only hospital deaths. There is a lag in the reporting of deaths from nursing homes and residences. Death rate may end up being 1-2%, when undercounted total cases are included.

NY Times provides free access to Coronavirus articles, but registration is required. No subscription or payment is needed though.

Note: Sweden includes Coronavirus deaths outside of hospitals. France and Spain do not include Coronavirus deaths outside of hospitals.

28,000 Missing Deaths:
Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ng-deaths.html

Too many unknowns. Are the missing deaths from Covid at home or from heart attacks/strokes/etc at home as well?? What's directly or indirectly related to the crisis?? Under-counting deaths and under counting cases, one at a higher rate/multiple than the other.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Wearing a mask or a bandana to the grocery store is not a big deal for a couple of months.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This sounds about right to me, and it jives with what I've heard a few epidemiologists say. Right now, we are averaging about a 6-7% death rate per known case (30k new daily cases, 2k daily deaths a week later), so that would mean there are about six times as many cases as are known.

I would be surprised if actual cases are understated by a factor of more than 5-10x.

-------------
Btw, people, we are still seeing about 30k new cases and 2k deaths daily. There is no significant downward trend here. It is very slight and subtle, and it likely will persist for quite a while. We'll likely hit the 50k death figure today.

Fortunately, Texas seems to be faring extremely well. Perhaps this is because Texas cities are much more spread out and don't rely heavily on public transit. Who knows. But Texas' cases per million and deaths per million figures are about the lowest of any state that has significant cities and a decent population base.
Dovetailing with your thought on relevant numbers.

Per CNN, NY state just now issued a preliminary report indication that 13.9% of New Yorkers have antibodies and the number is much higher in NYC. I'm remote now and can't research........but I will later.

If those number are correct they amount to astounding news.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:00 AM

227 posts, read 223,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
Intra-China travel from and to Wuhan was severely restricted, if not totally shutdown until recently, so that probably explains why Singapore had almost no cases for an extended period while Wuhan was blowing up. Furthermore, China stopped internal flights from Wuhan, yet allowed International flights leaving Wuhan which is going to be one component of the overall investigation into what caused this pandemic.
This was so thoughtful of the chinese to spread the disease to as far as dallas and not allow it to go to beijing

Old 04-23-2020, 11:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Wearing a mask or a bandana to the grocery store is not a big deal for a couple of months.
Probably more like the next 18 months (or whenever there is a proven treatment / vaccine).....but assuming we can keep the infection numbers low and steady, masks are a worthy inconvenience.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:27 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Selfishness and/or ignorance, plain and simple.
But what is to be gained not wearing a mask? Nothing. As far as I can see it's 100% vanity cloaked in "loss of liberty" righteousness.

FYI. I'm about as staunch a libertarian as there is. But sometimes you just have to use common sense. It's no different than saying people having to wear shoes and shirts.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Probably more like the next 18 months (or whenever there is a proven treatment / vaccine).....but assuming we can keep the infection numbers low and steady, masks are a worthy inconvenience.
It is going to get annoying pretty soon.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:02 PM

578 posts, read 479,560 times
It does not make a lot of sense in using the national average number, when two-thirds of the deaths happened in just 4 states, NY, NJ, MI, MA.

NY and MI have 8% death rate, NJ and MA have 5%.
The rest of the country is less than 4%, and Texas is at 2.5%.

It's also worth mentioning that Dallas and Houston are doing an extraordinary job for helping minorities (or minorities here are living a better life financially in the first place).
For example Dallas County has 24% Black population, and they account for 26% of cases and 23% of deaths.
These are reasonable numbers, unlike Chicago where 29% black population account for 72% of deaths, or New York.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It is going to get annoying pretty soon.
Yes. 110 degrees in August with a mask sounds disgusting. But I’ll do it to protect my high-risk family members, friends & clients.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
It's also worth mentioning that Dallas and Houston are doing an extraordinary job for helping minorities (or minorities here are living a better life financially in the first place).
For example Dallas County has 24% Black population, and they account for 26% of cases and 23% of deaths.
These are reasonable numbers, unlike Chicago where 29% black population account for 72% of deaths, or New York.
Don't you think it's likely that black people are more likely to live in dense housing situations in Chicago and New York than in Dallas? I would imagine they are also more likely to use public transit. I'm not saying Dallas and Houston aren't doing a good job, but I think much of this is being driven by larger factors than the city's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Dovetailing with your thought on relevant numbers.

Per CNN, NY state just now issued a preliminary report indication that 13.9% of New Yorkers have antibodies and the number is much higher in NYC. I'm remote now and can't research........but I will later.

If those number are correct they amount to astounding news.

Those numbers sound about right to me. New York is currently showing a 1.3% infection rate, so finding out that it is actually 13% would mean they are understated by a factor of ten. Assuming they are more understated than most places, this would indicate that nationally we are probably between 5-10x understated, which would give us a .6-1.4% death rate. That is around what I expect we'll finish at.

And I agree -- finding out that we are 10x understated would be great news. I wish I could get on board with the 80x overstated crew, but I don't think there's enough evidence for that. That would great, though.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 04-23-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas