Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 09:30 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think things have gotten a little too black in white in the open vs stay closed forever debate. It's turning into this weird "I want to save lives, but Karen just wants to get her hair done" false dichotomy.

Also, even if most things open up, that doesn't mean everyone has to participate in them. No one is going to force you to get your nails done, go to the mall, or go out to eat if you are legitimately at risk. That being said, I do think it is very important that those at a higher risk are given the chance to continue working from home or shop for their groceries at specified times. I hope the plans for opening up include protections for those folks.

But there are A LOT of us that can probably get out there in the coming months and live and work safely again. We are pretty sure my husband had it (still going into the hospital every day) and exposed us all. It knocked him on his butt more than most illnesses (he rarely gets sick), matched the symptoms, tested negative for flu and strep, and did take a COVID test. Unfortunately the office and/or lab botched it and finally notified him 2 weeks later--long after he could have been re-tested. We're both upset about that. Two of my four kids had fevers and felt bad for 2-3 days, 2 kids had no symptoms, and I had very mild symptoms (I'm clearly the Matt Damon in this relationship). Hopefully we can confirm via reliable antibody tests soon, but in all likelihood we are probably safe to be back out there again. And thank goodness, because we're about to move and I don't really have a choice.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Honestly, I think things have gotten a little too black in white in the open vs stay closed forever debate. It's turning into this weird "I want to save lives, but Karen just wants to get her hair done" false dichotomy.

Also, even if most things open up, that doesn't mean everyone has to participate in them. No one is going to force you to get your nails done, go to the mall, or go out to eat if you are legitimately at risk. That being said, I do think it is very important that those at a higher risk are given the chance to continue working from home or shop for their groceries at specified times. I hope the plans for opening up include protections for those folks.
I agree. People are literally angry at those that get their hair done. The goal is to slow the spread, there is no hope of stopping it completely. I might have my hair done by a neighbor who did that for a living until she couldn't. If she still does so out of her home. That is her and I taking our personal risk factors into account, not a threat to humankind.

If we were really serious, we couldn't go to grocery stores. Her having to take off work is so that 50 people aren't together in a salon. Going to her house is still severe mitigation. They should allow 'one client at a time' in my opinion like the petition going around says.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Many of you are aware that I've been concerned about the impacts of a prolonged shutdown.

However this shocked me:

The Fort Worth Symphony is opening back up and will perform on May 21. Kenny G then has three shows May 22-24.

I can't imagine sitting in those seats all close together with everybody else.

As I've said before, big difference between opening up dentists offices and a concert hall.
Let's be honest, if Kenny G does his thing, there won't be much social distancing later that evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I agree. People are literally angry at those that get their hair done. The goal is to slow the spread, there is no hope of stopping it completely. I might have my hair done by a neighbor who did that for a living until she couldn't. If she still does so out of her home. That is her and I taking our personal risk factors into account, not a threat to humankind.

If we were really serious, we couldn't go to grocery stores. Her having to take off work is so that 50 people aren't together in a salon. Going to her house is still severe mitigation. They should allow 'one client at a time' in my opinion like the petition going around says.
So if the person cutting the hair gets it, they can infect one person at a time all day long?

The idea that people who are not personally at high risk can get it without risking a bunch of other people is incorrect. If you're going out and interacting with people who then interact with a lot of other people, you are putting everyone at risk. The fact that we grocery shop, which is a necessity, doesn't mean we should be getting our hair did. Having someone cut your hair is a high-risk event in that the two of you must be very close to one another, and it's for a prolonged period. And my hunch is that most people doing this are not wearing masks.

"One person at a time" misunderstands the risks and the nature of what it means to become a vector.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:30 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People who wear a mask but don't wear gloves are ignorant.

People who wear gloves but don't wear a masks are ignorant.

People who don't wear either are ignorant.

Why are you presenting ignorant people as an example of anything but ignorance?

Don't be ignorant.
Gloves are typically unimportant. The risk is in your hands transmitting the virus when you touch something with the virus and then touch something else or touch your face. Gloves can carry the virus just as well. The goal is not protect the skin on your hands.

If someone is very diligent about wearing gloves and then taking them off without touching their phone, keys, face, etc., gloves can be helpful....but so can hand sanitizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
What's up with all of the snark? Is it not possible for you to debate things without reverting to arguing like a toddler?
I only resort to snark when the other person clearly doesn't care about reason. The chances increase when their hard-headedness is risking the lives of their neighbors over something as trivial as wearing a mask. You can go through my posts, and you'll have a hard time finding another that has snark in it. I've probably been snarky 5-10 times out of almost 4,000 posts on this site. You seem to do it every time I run into you.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:

The concern with close encounter services like this is NOT preventing 50 people being together in a salon. It is preventing direct transmission from client:stylist and then passing that on to other clients, one at a time, all day long.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:

Isn't there also some benefit to having the population who is low-risk expose themselves to the virus and recover from it creating 'herd immunity'?

I realize herd immunity requires a lot of the population to get it, but I'd imagine every person who has recovered from it is also helping to stop the spread, no?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:41 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
The concern with close encounter services like this is NOT preventing 50 people being together in a salon. It is preventing direct transmission from client:stylist and then passing that on to other clients, one at a time, all day long.
True, but I think the idea behind the eventual 're-opening' is to keep high-risk individuals at home and quarantined and away from anyone who might expose themselves. It's obviously not the best solution, but I also don't think it's realistic to expect the world to shut down until there is a vaccine.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 AM

349 posts, read 379,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I only resort to snark when the other person clearly doesn't care about reason. The chances increase when their hard-headedness is risking the lives of their neighbors over something as trivial as wearing a mask. You can go through my posts, and you'll have a hard time finding another that has snark in it. I've probably been snarky 5-10 times out of almost 4,000 posts on this site. You seem to do it every time I run into you.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
I am by no means saying people should defy the order and not wear masks if that is what the county or city is telling them to do, but as someone who has worn masks and gloves (PPE) as part of my job for 20 years, most of you are doing it wrong. And it's not your fault! We spent a lot of time understanding infection control in school and as a component of our continuing education. I'm required to do an OSHA update every year to keep my license current. My understanding of it is one of the reasons I am well compensated.

For the average citizen, wearing a mask makes them touch their face more, and they aren't wearing it correctly. Your noses and chins are not covered and you adjust it constantly and then rub your eyes or glasses. Gloves further instill a false sense of security. Even before Covid 19, when I would go to the grocery store, I used the provided wipes and cleaned the handle. When I got back to my car, I used my hand sanitizer. Then the first thing I did when I got back home was wash my hands thoroughly. I dislike the term germaphobe, because I'm not scared, what I am is germ aware. The type of masks the public are wearing protect others from the wearer primarily, so don't let them give you a false sense of security. I guess it's better than nothing but I don't know the way some people are constantly touching and adjusting. Don't get me started on the N95s with huge gaps all around.

So wear your mask, but look for a video on You Tube or Facebook to help you put it on correctly. Then don't touch it once you can take it off correctly and WASH YOUR HANDS or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Stay Safe everyone.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:06 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Gloves are typically unimportant. The risk is in your hands transmitting the virus when you touch something with the virus and then touch something else or touch your face. Gloves can carry the virus just as well. The goal is not protect the skin on your hands.

If someone is very diligent about wearing gloves and then taking them off without touching their phone, keys, face, etc., gloves can be helpful....but so can hand sanitizer.

You can get hand sanitizer? There is none to be had anywhere around me, and that doesn't appear to be a situation that will be remedied any time soon.

Yes, gloves do require diligence. But I can take off gloves when entering a clean space. I have a small supply of hand sanitizer, but it doesn't appear that I'll be able to replenish it any time soon. Gloves enable me to extend my small supply of sanitizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas