Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 09:45 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times

Advertisements

City of Fort Worth ovation for healthcare workers.

Fort Worth steps out to applaud frontline workers | City of Fort Worth, Texas

Old 04-19-2020, 11:14 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
It was one of the very first requests made by Dallas County in the first week they started tracking cases here.
So your not supposed to leave Dallas County. So you live right on the line and your shopping center for groceries is in Collin County so you don't cross the line? Ok, makes no sense. I know in many New England States where they have put these ridiculous restrictions on people not supposed to leave the state, but their their regular life revolves around them going 2 miles and crossing the border to their main grocery store.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
People in Collin county will look at you like you're an idiot here too. The vast majority of people are wearing masks at the grocery stores.
I'm fine with that. My main point was that I can go 3 miles north and be in a county where I don't have to wear a mask, but in Dallas County your supposed to wear one. My main point is why would that change anything when someone can easily go 3 or 4 miles. For example, people trying to find toilet paper going to multiple grocery stores looking for it. Just saying these guidelines follow very minimal common sense. Wear a mask but don't worry about touching everything.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:22 PM

198 posts, read 174,545 times
I think of wearing mask ( in addition to other guidelines) as one's contribution to flatten the curve and slow down the spread.
Whatever every individual can do to slow the spread will help everybody.

CDC recommends it too now.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

Old 04-19-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no idea what goes through someone's mind that would make them resist wearing a mask. If we had all started wearing them the first week of March we wouldn't be in the mess we're in right now. My husband and I started wearing them when my doctor called me over a month ago and suggested that we wear them. She's from Taiwan and I guess SARS left a lasting impression on the residents. My youngest son started wearing them in February when his fiance who is from Hong Kong insisted on it. It's not that big of a deal, if you don't think it will protect you then consider the fact that you might be an asymptomatic carrier of it and that mask might save someone else from catching it.
Couldn't disagree more that if people were wearing a mask earlier this would have stopped. Maybe slowed it down slightly. I don't think this virus is going away, well I will say it isn't going away. You would have had to wear a hazmat suit, and so would have everyone else and washed everything after anything was contacted. We are trying to slow it from overwhelming us, but this is here to stay. I think too many people think we can stop this, but we can't. We would have been in this mess at some point regardless.

I still think many have had this virus with minor to moderate symptoms and haven't been counted. I know of many, including myself, that were sick with very similar symptoms to this in February and early March before this "social distancing" started or tested. Swine flu was similar in that they didn't know it was here when many had it the year before they made a big deal about it.

I believe this doesn't really go away to some degree until we become immune or we have a good vaccination to it. This reaction to trying to stop it to me isn't realistic. So you avoid it now and get it next fall or winter cause we live in a bubble. The entire social distancing now is to slow the spread to not overwhelm the medical system, not to think the virus disappears. That ship sailed long ago. It is here to stay whether people want to believe it or not. People can choose to live in a bubble for years or rest of their lives if they want.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
Surge in Singapore? That means hot weather may not be effective to stop the spread of the virus, which is bad...
Hot weather doesn't stop the virus. It might slow the rate of increase in terms of infections, but it certainly doesn't stop it.

--------------
Regarding serology testing: There has not been nearly enough of this sort of testing to conclude that infection numbers are short by a factor of 80 or more. I do expect them to be short by 5-10x right now, but that's really just a guess based on expected death rates and what I've heard several actual experts predict. But there needs to be widespread serology testing to actually know how many people have it.

We'll likely be to Fauci's 60k figure within two weeks or so. We're already over 40,000 deaths, and our new daily cases figure has been near 30,000 for the last week. That means we're looking at 1500-2200 daily deaths for at least the next week. That alone will put us around 52,000 by next Sunday. It will be interesting to see if they revise their models or just say that people aren't taking social distancing seriously enough. I'll also be interested to see how this affects the plan for opening things up.

I'm really not clear on what the plan is here going forward. Testing isn't widespread enough, there's been very little serology testing (thus we don't know how far away herd immunity is), mask production isn't high enough for that to play a major role and case figures are way too high for contact tracing to be a viable option. I just don't see how we can be doing things like going to gyms and churches anytime soon without case numbers exploding. I'm not sure if you guys have seen what counts as "opening up" in Europe, but it is basically the equivalent of what we look like under lockdown. China is on a whole different level, for better or worse.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Is anyone here grocery shopping in another county so they don't have to wear a bandana or ball gag over their month cause Dallas County decided to be over reactive? Essentially its cover your mouth with something that isn't proven to actually work, but you don't have to wear gloves and change them any time you touch something. So other than people thinking they are safer, what is the actual point? I live in north Dallas area, so I will just go to Collin County where a few less people will look at me as crazy cause I don't wear a pointless mask over my mouth.
Have you considered going back to MA? My guess is that a lot of grocery shoppers in north Dallas would be all for it.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Have you considered going back to MA? My guess is that a lot of grocery shoppers in north Dallas would be all for it.
Nope, but I've considered living in a bubble my entire life cause people actually believe 6 feet and wearing a mask actually makes a bit of difference. Maybe I will find a place when measures don't contradict themselves and they actually make sense. And when someone goes on TV and they say jump, I don't say how high.

Have you traced where all the people that work from the grocery store have been and have you touched the mail lately.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Nope, but I've considered living in a bubble my entire life cause people actually believe 6 feet and wearing a mask actually makes a bit of difference. Maybe I will find a place when measures don't contradict themselves and they actually make sense. And when someone goes on TV and they say jump, I don't say how high.

Have you traced where all the people that work from the grocery store have been and have you touched the mail lately.
Yeah, all of those pesky medical experts and their fancy "studies" and fake knowledge about virus transmission are really just out to prank Americans and make them jump for no good reason. Mavericks like you and me, we don't jump for anyone, regardless of how many fancy degrees they have. I've got Google and an extra fifteen minutes, so I don't need no epidemiologists.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:40 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Perishable items need shopped every week or so otherwise they go bad. Of course unless you buy frozen or freeze fresh vegetables but frozen lacks quality and taste.
normally, we are fresh fruits and vegetables only. Farmers market or traders joes/central market etc. However, given the circumstances, I am not going to be tripling our grocery store visits just to get better vegetables. We are doing curbside grocery visits every 2-3 weeks right now. We supplement with blue apron and hello fresh for fresher ingredients for us to cook meals at home.

There are only 2 of us though, so I understand that households with multiple people are harder to buy for several weeks without feeling hoarder level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas