Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 10:42 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,448,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
4/20 State Parks reopen, must wear face masks and social distance, no groups larger than five.
4/22 Surgery restrictions lifted.
4/24 Retail to-go reopens.
Schools have been cancelled for the remainder of the school year
Masks are required to be worn at essential businesses and public transportation

Honestly it sounds like this is barely a 're-opening', which is a good thing. As far as Dallas is concerned, now that face masks are required, I feel like you could argue that we are actually being more restrictive rather than less.
I guess we will see if people abide by the social distancing/face mask rules in the parks. I'm dubious, but hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:33 PM

577 posts, read 457,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I guess we will see if people abide by the social distancing/face mask rules in the parks. I'm dubious, but hope I'm wrong.
I think eventually poeple will. When social distancing was first suggested, hardly anyone was doing it, but now people are making more and more of an effort. I envision the same thing happening with face masks as well.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Only certain cities and Dallas is the only one I know of that is requiring it. I'm guessing other cities will follow suite shortly after though.
Correction - Dallas County, not city of Dallas.

Clay Jenkins has copied almost every CA/NY mandate at a time when Dallas had a lot lower case numbers and hospitalizations. When it’s time to debrief local response at a later date, I truly believe his actions - however oppressive they seem to some people - kept Dallas from becoming a “hotspot” (so far).

Our case numbers are obviously suppressed due to limited testing, but hospitalizations haven’t overwhelmed the system and deaths are relatively low (2.5% of confirmed cases vs 6-13% in cities that have had major outbreaks). It still must be reminded that 2.5% is NOT a low mortality %....the flu runs in the .1% range so this is 25X more deadly than the flu. We need to keep taking it seriously until the daily new cases plummet into the 5-10/day range.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 PM

577 posts, read 457,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Correction - Dallas County, not city of Dallas.

Clay Jenkins has copied almost every CA/NY mandate at a time when Dallas had a lot lower case numbers and hospitalizations. When it’s time to debrief local response at a later date, I truly believe his actions - however oppressive they seem to some people - kept Dallas from becoming a “hotspot” (so far).

Our case numbers are obviously suppressed due to limited testing, but hospitalizations haven’t overwhelmed the system and deaths are relatively low (2.5% of confirmed cases vs 6-13% in cities that have had major outbreaks). It still must be reminded that 2.5% is NOT a low mortality %....the flu runs in the .1% range so this is 25X more deadly than the flu. We need to keep taking it seriously until the daily new cases plummet into the 5-10/day range.
Sorry, you're right, it is Dallas County and not the city of Dallas.

Also, I 100% agree with you. With DFW being an international hub, I think our numbers are looking pretty low all things considered. Hopefully the people of DFW continue to comply to social distancing rules and keep flattening the curve going forward.

So far I've been very pleased with Jenkins' decisions and also pleased with the people of DFW for doing their part as well.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
I think eventually poeple will. When social distancing was first suggested, hardly anyone was doing it, but now people are making more and more of an effort. I envision the same thing happening with face masks as well.
I agree. The only place I’ve been going in public is to our neighborhood grocery store 1x each week.

2 weeks ago - only noticed a few Asian shoppers wearing masks
1 weeks ago - maybe 1 in 3 or 4 shoppers wearing masks. Noticeable uptick from prior week
This week - 80%+ of shoppers wearing masks

Old 04-18-2020, 06:43 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,246,884 times
Quote:
I agree. The only place I’ve been going in public is to our neighborhood grocery store 1x each week.

2 weeks ago - only noticed a few Asian shoppers wearing masks
1 weeks ago - maybe 1 in 3 or 4 shoppers wearing masks. Noticeable uptick from prior week
This week - 80%+ of shoppers wearing masks

That's been my experience as well... The first time I went to the store, I was in the minority wearing a mask and gloves. 2nd time, it was about 40-50% wearing masks. This week, probably 80% wearing masks, and the people who aren't are being given the stink eye. A large number of the employees are wearing masks and at Kroger, they've installed plexiglass shields in front of the register so you can't directly face the cashier and be too close.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 AM

236 posts, read 155,279 times
Quote:

It still must be reminded that 2.5% is NOT a low mortality %....the flu runs in the .1% range so this is 25X more deadly than the flu.
Except it isn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/u...eath-rate.html

Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 AM

8,357 posts, read 5,521,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
This.

We will not have a clue what the mortality rate for this virus is until after the pandemic is over.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:27 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,246,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This.

We will not have a clue what the mortality rate for this virus is until after the pandemic is over.

You can extrapolate the data based on current confirmed numbers. Johns Hopkins reports global confirmed cases at 2,215,000, and 151,000 deaths, which is a 6.8% mortality rate.

For the US, we have 683,786 cases and 34,575 deaths, which is 5% mortality rate.

There are many cases that are going unreported, but at the same time, there are many deaths not being recorded due to a lack of testing. Statistically speaking, we have enough confirmed cases to be able to predict the mortality rate fairly accurately.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:33 AM

236 posts, read 155,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You can extrapolate the data based on current confirmed numbers. Johns Hopkins reports global confirmed cases at 2,215,000, and 151,000 deaths, which is a 6.8% mortality rate.

For the US, we have 683,786 cases and 34,575 deaths, which is 5% mortality rate.

There are many cases that are going unreported, but at the same time, there are many deaths not being recorded due to a lack of testing. Statistically speaking, we have enough confirmed cases to be able to predict the mortality rate fairly accurately.
LOL. Except tons of experts says differently per that exact article. I think it is naive if you think the US has had 683,786 cases. My guess it is over 5M. The facts don't add up. This thing is exponentially more contagious than the flu (that is universally agreed on) but only 683,786 have had it? I am not buying that.

Anyone who has watched national news has seen numerous people who have been tested that showed they had this and are not counted among the 683,786.

In Dallas County for this highly contagious situation only 2500 or so have had it? No chance.

Last edited by CHRockwell; 04-18-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas