Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The Food Bank lines this weekend really alarmed me. As soon as we peak, we need to get back to work. The elderly and ill can stay in. I don't say this lightly, however we can't go on like this.
I agree the food bank lines ARE horrific.

But when you say “the ill can stay inside”, I think you’re not grasping the sheer percentage of the workforce that IS classified as ill as it relates to being high risk for COVID. A 20 year old with asthma just died in Michigan over the weekend (made the news because his father also died).

34 million American adults have diabetes. Diabetes is the #1 underlying condition for Americans being diagnosed with COVID-19. 25 million Americans have asthma. 78 million American adults have high blood pressure. 15 million American adults are living with cancer.

The bottom line is that social distancing IS working. Which is why people are like, “I can’t believe we shut down the entire DFW economy to have 3 80-year olds die today”. But if we open the flood gates “as soon as we peak” (your suggestion), we’re going to have a NYC scenario here locally two weeks later.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Moderator note: I've asked multiple times to please keep this thread focused on the DFW area so posts don't have to be removed and the discussion will remain localized. Those guidelines weren't observed and posts have been removed as a result.

If you would like to speculate and/or discuss the coronavirus in general, there are active threads in other City-Data forums to do so.

Please report and do not reply to off-topic posts.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-13-2020 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 06:52 PM

64 posts, read 46,550 times
Hope I am posting this in the right section and sorry if the topic has already been discussed. What are some of your predictions about generally when most schools will open in DFW? Do you think early May or that schools in the DFW area will continue online for the rest of the year?

We are trying to gauge a move with a high schooler as our house sold much faster than we imagined it would and her school remaining online for the rest of the year will make things easier logistically. She could continue to work online from a hotel room or temp housing as we will be in between homes for a few weeks.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBlue111 View Post
Hope I am posting this in the right section and sorry if the topic has already been discussed. What are some of your predictions about generally when most schools will open in DFW? Do you think early May or that schools in the DFW area will continue online for the rest of the year?

We are trying to gauge a move with a high schooler as our house sold much faster than we imagined it would and her school remaining online for the rest of the year will make things easier logistically. She could continue to work online from a hotel room or temp housing as we will be in between homes for a few weeks.
I would be 120% shocked if any DFW schools resumed classes on campus this spring. So, mid-August??

Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 PM

64 posts, read 46,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would be 120% shocked if any DFW schools resumed classes on campus this spring. So, mid-August??
That’s what I was thinking too but I read somewhere that the governor may announce reopening schools in May. Not sure if that news blip source was accurate.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I'd also be shocked if schools re-opened. Too much risk for little reward

Old 04-13-2020, 08:37 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I'd also be shocked if schools re-opened. Too much risk for little reward
I doubt parents will be willing to send the kids regardless of schools open or not. Since you can't see the virus, the fear of unknown will stretch this whole thing out till end of this year. Its a weird and scary situation we're in.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I doubt parents will be willing to send the kids regardless of schools open or not. Since you can't see the virus, the fear of unknown will stretch this whole thing out till end of this year. Its a weird and scary situation we're in.

If the schools are open and people are able to go back to work, that will happen.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBlue111 View Post
That’s what I was thinking too but I read somewhere that the governor may announce reopening schools in May. Not sure if that news blip source was accurate.
As of today, the stay at home order expires 4/30. The governor yesterday extended the emergency declaration through 5/13. He is talking about finding a way to slowly open up the economy over the next few weeks - in a way that won’t set off a second wave. I can’t see how opening schools - where kids are little Petri dishes - would fit into a “slow” reopening of the economy before the end of the school year.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Eh, I'll send mine back this fall assuming things have made progression towards normal. Keeping them home at that point would have more serious educational consequences (and momma ain't homeschooling. I never wanted to and these last two weeks have confirmed why).

Last few weeks of an already lame duck school year? Different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas