Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 08:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Do I need to state the obvious? You're more likely to die in a car accident than getting COVID-19:

OR the flu, or cancer, or HIV or Polio or Measles or a drug overdose or from a Terrorist attack, War, famine or a flood or tornado.

I guess we should do away with immunizations, the DEA, FBI, CIA the entire military, Cancer research, HIV drugs, Food banks, and Meteorology warning systems cause .. what are the odds so whats the point, Right?
Quit going to extremes.

Yes, anyone is more likely to die in a car accident than from the CV.

Does that mean we should ban cars and make everyone walk? (That is the equivalent to the CV response). No, we take reasonable precautions such as speed limits and seat belts and air bags and so forth.

Some like Dr. Fauci have stated that the US needs to remain shut down until there are 0 new cases and 0
deaths...all while ignoring the tens of thousands of deaths every year from other diseases. Why this reaction? Why now?

Then we have "experts" like Bill Gates pontificating that the world cannot move forward unless everyone gets vaccinated. Interesting considering he did not have his own children vaccinated against common childhood illnesses.

Why can we not take reasonable precautions regarding CV? Why can't the elderly and those with underlying conditions continue to self-quarantine, while healthy younger people cautiously start going back out?

This is how ridiculous this is: in Michigan, you can buy a lotto ticket, as that is an "essential service", but you cannot buy food seeds or food plants. Is this because we have to prevent people dying, or because there is an agenda?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,107,377 times
Moderator Note: The thread is beginning to drift once again. No posts have been removed, but please remember to keep the discussion locally-focused and apolitical moving forward. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM

451 posts, read 320,627 times
This is the blueprint for what is going to happen until the vaccine is available. Well articulated.

Just 1 addition - the task force at the state and local level with the guidance from the federal level will define a new set of guidelines for social distancing, antibody testing, etc.

Now, there is a possibility that the virus can become cyclical i.e
It will completely go away in the northern hemisphere when the summer arrives and will kick in again, at the arrival of next winter. If that happens, it will help the scientific community and the countries around the world tremendously. Simultaneously, It would be required to keep track of the trajectory of the virus in Southern hemisphere for the next 6 months. It will give us an idea of what to expect here in the US for the next winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your posts show that you’re only capable of thinking in black or white. We’re going to be living in shades of grey until there is a vaccine. The only people who hibernate from society until 2021 should be those who are at ultra high risk of dying from covid/19. Maybe that’s you - and if so, I apologize.

The rest of us need a plan for what happens once we’re most of the way down the hill on the other side of the local peak:

-Should dentists and dermatologists (non-essential medical) be able to reopen before Disney World does? Yes, that seems like a no brainer. (And considering you seem to think the only people financially impacted so far are hourly wage service industry people....my own dentist has laid off their office manager, front desk and hygenists).

-Should offices be able to reopen if they can achieve social distancing measures by allowing a mix of WFH and rearranging work stations in open office areas?

-Should a personal trainer be able to meet clients in a small workout facility before 24 Hour Fitness is allowed to reopen? Yes, probably.

-How does public transit work with social distancing? Is the bus driver going to count passengers to ensure 50% capacity limit?

And so forth. There are a lot of questions that need considering so we don’t fumble the reopening of society.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Quit going to extremes.

Does that mean we should ban cars and make everyone walk? (That is the equivalent to the CV response). No, we take reasonable precautions such as speed limits and seat belts and air bags and so forth.

Some like Dr. Fauci have stated that the US needs to remain shut down until there are 0 new cases and 0
deaths...all while ignoring the tens of thousands of deaths every year from other diseases. Why this reaction? Why now?

Then we have "experts" like Bill Gates pontificating that the world cannot move forward unless everyone gets vaccinated. Interesting considering he did not have his own children vaccinated against common childhood illnesses.

Why can we not take reasonable precautions regarding CV? Why can't the elderly and those with underlying conditions continue to self-quarantine, while healthy younger people cautiously start going back out?

This is how ridiculous this is: in Michigan, you can buy a lotto ticket, as that is an "essential service", but you cannot buy food seeds or food plants. Is this because we have to prevent people dying, or because there is an agenda?
False on Bill Hates’ kids not being vaccinated. They are. I can’t link Melinda Gates’ Facebook post here but you can go to her page and read it from April 2019.

There is an anti-vaxxer campaign to discredit the Gateses work on vaccinations. Those who get their news from far right sources have likely heard lies and not the truth from the actual source.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:20 PM

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. Appreciatr it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkroyal2223 View Post
I am a physician actually taking care of hospitalized COVID patients at one of Dallas' biggest hospitals. I have not seen my 6 month old daughter for the past 3 weeks. I am sure the 22 year old nurse who is currently intubated at my hospital would take issue with your view. Please do us a favor and do some thinking before you make such an ignorant statement

Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
False on Bill Hates’ kids not being vaccinated. They are. I can’t link Melinda Gates’ Facebook post here but you can go to her page and read it from April 2019.

There is an anti-vaxxer campaign to discredit the Gateses work on vaccinations. Those who get their news from far right sources have likely heard lies and not the truth from the actual source.
I'm not on FB but I take your word for it. For the record I am not anti vaccine, but there are plenty who are. Sorry I didn't fact check that.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:51 PM

I am for cautiously re-opening the businesses as soon as possible. And I really think it is possible to start doing it in a phased manner geographically and by industry, starting May.. Some industries such as airlines, restaurants will take time to recover even if they are allowed to begin on May 15, for example, just because consumers will be reluctant to travel, eat at restaurants, etc.

However, in your argumemt about death probability from COVID-19 vs car accidents, you are missing 1 key point. COVID-19 is a new virus and we really do not know everything about it. You can not under-estimate it. It has been proven that social-distancing controls the spread. The additional burden of it is even if you are healthy and asymptomatic, you cpuld be a carrier and give it to a vulnerable older person or a person with pre-existing conditions. So, you may not die but the other person who you transmitted the virus to, may die. Hence we would need to follow the guidance of scientific community, whatever it is. As years go by and we learn more about this virus, your argument will hold then, on comparisons with other causes of deaths - not at the present though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Quit going to extremes.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 04-11-2020 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Added the timeframe

Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 PM

468 posts, read 476,124 times
Here are some experts on viruses. And they don't agree with continued lockdowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43HfvHcjpc&t=64s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MZy-2fcBw&t=6s

Old 04-11-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
I am for cautiously re-opening the businesses as soon as possible. And I really think it is possible to start doing it in a phased manner geographically and by industry, starting May.. Some industries such as airlines, restaurants will take time to recover even if they are allowed to begin on May 15, for example, just because consumers will be reluctant to travel, eat at restaurants, etc.

However, in your argumemt about death probability from COVID-19 vs car accidents, you are missing 1 key point. COVID-19 is a new virus and we really do not know everything about it. You can not under-estimate it. It has been proven that social-distancing controls the spread. The additional burden of it is even if you are healthy and asymptomatic, you cpuld be a carrier and give it to a vulnerable older person or a person with pre-existing conditions. So, you may not die but the other person who you transmitted the virus to, may die. Hence we would need to follow the guidance of scientific community, whatever it is. As years go by and we learn more about this virus, your argument will hold then, on comparisons with other causes of deaths - not at the present though.
I fully understand about flattening the curve and not overwhelming basic services, let alone hospitals, in order to avoid a social collapse.

What I object to are three things, primarily:

--the panic and fear and even hysteria along the lines of "I cannot leave my house or my children will die and we have to stay in quarantine for years." Odds are if you have ever put your child in a car, there is a greater risk to your child. Be cautious, sure, be reasonable, but don't live in unnecessary fear.

--that some people refuse to acknowledge that the "cure" to this is for **some people** every bit as dire and tragic and life threatening as the disease itself. I am tired of the comments saying "all you have to do is stay home and relax; how hard is that?" For **some people** that is extremely challenging.

--the politics of it but per forum rules will not detail further.

You are right of course that we don't know much about the disease, but thousands upon thousands die every year from diseases and we don't shut the world down.

It's horrible that so many have died, it's horrible that millions have lost their livelihoods, it's horrible that we live with so much uncertainty now...ALL of it is bad.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-11-2020 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 PM

468 posts, read 476,124 times
Reliable Vaccine could take years but some want to cash in at any cost says Robert Kennedy Jr.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/n...y-vaccination/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by Peter5457; 04-11-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas