Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 06:07 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Let's recall a few things. Dr. Fauci is a medical expert and advisor. I too get frission at the thought of US authorities uttering the phrase, "papers please." That said Fauci does not call the shots.

The other side of this is if we had continued as per normal NBA, MLB, rock concerts, packed subways, jammed offices etc. etc. This thing would have blown up into a full on short term new dark ages. Millions of dead, so many millions sick that most organizations and systems we depend on would have failed most everyone else so worried about getting sick many would hide......wrecking our medical system would be catastrophe number one. Police, fire, garbage would be next. And to ally any notion that I'm getting carried away this kind of thing is happening now in other places.

As an aside my wife's company as of now plans to enforce a rule such that when physical offices reopen it'll be take a test or your badge won't open the door.

It sucks but wholesale testing, rigorous contact tracing and something akin to quarantines are in the cards.
We don't really know what would have happened. NYC probably total devastation but probably not in Oklahoma, for example. We perhaps could have taken a more middle of the road approach as Sweden has done. Their numbers are now falling.

If your wife's company wants to establish rules regarding testing, that is their right as a private entity. She is free to not work there. That is different from the *government* mandating such tests.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:13 PM

578 posts, read 479,204 times
https://dshs.texas.gov/IDCU/disease/...9Wk39Oct04.pdf
Texas Pneumonia and influenza (P&I) death Occurring Sept. 30, 2018- September 26, 2019
0 - 4 42
5 - 17 40
18 - 49 642
50 - 64 1702
65 + 7594
Overall 10020

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83
Texas COVID-19 Death

Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Re: "equal priority for our lives" well that's a rabbit hole. Should we release all prisoners while we are at it? They have equal priority not to die of COVID-19 too. What about drug addicts and alcoholics who's constantly altered states make them more susceptible?

Define "important" doctors appointments. To my knowledge medically important visits and procedures have not been disallowed. But those that can wait should wait.

So is that father exempt from the rules that all other citizens in that Colorado town have to follow? What makes him above the rule all the other fathers of all other 3 year olds had to follow? Does he think people have something against 3 year olds going to the park or was there a compelling reason such a rule was put in place?

Getting all Americans vaccinated is not the goal. Finding a treatment option outside of hiding from the virus is. Those that want to preserve their right to naturally die a slow agonizing death have always had the legal right to do so around here.

If you are going to sacrifice the economy for some people, then you have to sacrifice for everyone. If you are going to sacrifice for CV, what's keeping us from shutting down for every other disease? You seem to have compassion for some people (CV patients) but not for other people (mental health sufferers.). You seem to lack compassion for the tens of millions suddenly unemployed because they were just service workers and were on the brink anyway.

What is actually the percentage of people who die from CV? Do you even know? Do you know the odds of dying from it? How about the odds of dying from it versus your odds of dying in a car crash? Unless you can be honest about that, you are fear mongering.

Regarding the man in the park, you miss the point entirely. I suppose you are fine with the Governor of Michigan denying people their property rights? Or the Governor of Kentucky threatening church goers, thereby violating their constitutional rights?

Old 04-11-2020, 06:29 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We don't really know what would have happened. NYC probably total devastation but probably not in Oklahoma, for example. We perhaps could have taken a more middle of the road approach as Sweden has done. Their numbers are now falling.

If your wife's company wants to establish rules regarding testing, that is their right as a private entity. She is free to not work there. That is different from the *government* mandating such tests.
Would like to see a citation that Sweden’s numbers are falling. Not as of two days ago, last I saw.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Would like to see a citation that Sweden’s numbers are falling. Not as of two days ago, last I saw.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ronavirus.html

Old 04-11-2020, 06:59 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
One day is not a trend.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
Quote:
If you are going to sacrifice the economy for some people, then you have to sacrifice for everyone. If you are going to sacrifice for CV, what's keeping us from shutting down for every other disease? You seem to have compassion for some people (CV patients) but not for other people (mental health sufferers.). You seem to lack compassion for the tens of millions suddenly unemployed because they were just service workers and were on the brink anyway.

What is actually the percentage of people who die from CV? Do you even know? Do you know the odds of dying from it? How about the odds of dying from it versus your odds of dying in a car crash? Unless you can be honest about that, you are fear mongering.

Regarding the man in the park, you miss the point entirely. I suppose you are fine with the Governor of Michigan denying people their property rights? Or the Governor of Kentucky threatening church goers, thereby violating their constitutional rights?
Look, if you feel your constitutional rights are being violated and this is all some attempt at fear mongering feel free to drive to UT Southwestern sans mask or protective gear, walk right through the ED to the ICU find a COVID patient.... shouldn't be hard...they'll be ones being handled with extra care, take a deep breath and kiss them tenderly, on the mouth. Then go home and get on with your freedom. Less drastically find a way to book that European vacation you've been dreaming about. I'm sure tickets are dirt cheap right now.

Whatever you do- do not mistake a constitutional right to risk your life with the right to do whatever you please. You do not have the right to put others at risk. To that end; the government has the constitutional right to restrict your movements when you come back from that vacation or to keep you from leaving that hospital ward. It also has the right to get you tested whether you approve of it or not when you return from Rome. They have the right to ask you to prove your identity, your status and where you've been or investigate it if you don't. Lastly they have the right to make sure you are not a risk to others and to confine for as long as in necessary if you if you are. Because you give it that right.

A Church goers' rights doesn't trump anyone else's. A gathering larger than 10 is a gathering larger than 10. As long as they are in this perfect union - those are the rules that apply to everyone- church going or not.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Look, if you feel your constitutional rights are being violated and this is all some attempt at fear mongering feel free to drive to UT Southwestern sans mask or protective gear, walk right through the ED to the ICU find a COVID patient.... shouldn't be hard...they'll be ones being handled with extra care, take a deep breath and kiss them tenderly, on the mouth. Then go home and get on with your freedom. Less drastically find a way to book that European vacation you've been dreaming about. I'm sure tickets are dirt cheap.
FGS, that is not the same thing as going to an outdoor park, or going from one home you own to another home you own.

I notice you didn't answer my questions. What are the odds of dying from CV vs. dying from a car accident?

Old 04-11-2020, 07:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
Quote:
FGS, that is not the same thing as going to an outdoor park, or going from one home you own to another home you own.

I notice you didn't answer my questions. What are the odds of dying from CV vs. dying from a car accident?
Do I need to state the obvious? You're more likely to die in a car accident than getting COVID-19:

OR the flu, or cancer, or HIV or Polio or Measles or a drug overdose or from a Terrorist attack, War, famine or a flood or tornado.

I guess we should do away with immunizations, the DEA, FBI, CIA the entire military, Cancer research, HIV drugs, Food banks, and Meteorology warning systems cause .. what are the odds so whats the point, Right?

Old 04-11-2020, 07:51 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

1. Another angle on Sweden. Sweden's numbers are much worse than its neighbors FWIIW.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...yt4-story.html

2. I understand the civil rights distinctions between the private and public sectors. I'm just making the point that things are going to be different for a good while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas