Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 11:28 AM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Fauci admits that they didn't tell people to wear masks initially because they wanted to make sure frontline workers had enough:
https://youtu.be/Sqex07kJhzU?t=53

I wish we would have gotten on board with mask wearing earlier, but it seems like there was a real risk of a huge shortage of masks, which would have been an even bigger problem.
Well, with the last line I had mostly Texas is mind, when mission accomplished was declared and the reopening aggressively started.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:30 AM

34 posts, read 25,893 times
"why frequent and rapid SARS-CoV-2 testing is more important than accuracy,"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000485148648

Great listen and potential game changer in how we should be testing and tracking cases. FDA hindering the process with requiring an 80 percent sensitivity threshold and gets into why that should maybe be changed (lower sensitivity due to lower viral numbers, and importance of what numbers matter when) Dr. Mina argues to focus on infective cases vs infected cases. IE emphasis on ppl more likely to transmit(infect others) vs those who only have the virus (infected but less likely to spread).

Last edited by PACman2521; 07-23-2020 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM

577 posts, read 457,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, with the last line I had mostly Texas is mind, when mission accomplished was declared and the reopening aggressively started.
Gotcha, and I would agree with that, but I wonder if fears of a shortage were the reason they weren't mandated on May 1st when things began to re-open.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM

227 posts, read 223,092 times
Bill Gates warns multiple coronavirus vaccine doses likely to be needed and schools should stay closed for another YEAR

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1184945...-donald-trump/

You might like the guy or hate the guy but at least i dont think he would have an agenda to infect humanity or do something evil when he already had been the richest man on earth

Old 07-23-2020, 12:54 PM

577 posts, read 457,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
Bill Gates warns multiple coronavirus vaccine doses likely to be needed and schools should stay closed for another YEAR

You might like the guy or hate the guy but at least i dont think he would have an agenda to infect humanity or do something evil when he already had been the richest man on earth
Keeping schools closed for a year is very extreme. We can't hide from this virus for that long, unfortunately.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:45 PM

554 posts, read 683,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There's a vast gulf between pointing out the myriad mistakes Trump has made and blaming him, republicans and evangelical Christians for the virus.
I would also say there is a vast gulf between accidental mistakes and intentional ignorance/intentionally distorting the truth for your own purposes...

Mistakes have been made with regard to mask wearing and its effects. At the beginning of this, multiple doctors I know personally said "don't bother wearing a mask to the store because it won't really protect you." That was before we realized mask wearing actually protects others. And now, science is coming out saying it protects both to some degree. The constantly changing messaging on masks has led the general public to distrust government officials, although most of them were just saying what they knew at the time to be true.

Blatantly lying about how we are faring with regard to this virus is not a mistake. It's intentional. Calling Covid-19 a democratic hoax or an election stunt is not a mistake. It's intentional. Not wearing a mask to mask-making factories despite everyone else wearing them is intentional. I'm willing to be understanding regarding the changing science on coronavirus and the mistakes that have been made as we discover new information. However, I'm not willing to excuse the outright denial of science and the creation of a fictional reality which is then fed to the public, thus increasing the idiotic behavior of some of its citizens.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:09 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Fauci admits that they didn't tell people to wear masks initially because they wanted to make sure frontline workers had enough:
https://youtu.be/Sqex07kJhzU?t=53

I wish we would have gotten on board with mask wearing earlier, but it seems like there was a real risk of a huge shortage of masks, which would have been an even bigger problem.

Not really what he thought, however.

Yes, there is a shortage, but that has nothing and would have had nothing to do with consumers hoarding masks. Lay consumers never had access to approved medical masks anyway.

That division occurs at the factory, where medical masks are manufactured to somewhat different specifications from consumer masks (they are made in three sizes, for instance, while consumer masks are "one size fits most"). Masks made for medical uses go immediately into the medical supply route at the factory. They're packaged to different specifications and move through different suppliers.

Fauci could have said, "Everyone needs to wear N-95 masks," and then had the factories directed to make masks only for the medical supply chain...which is exactly what was done anyway.

But the difference is that if Fauci had stated back in February, "Everyone needs to wear N-95 masks," it would have created an instant billion-dollar market and spurred dozens of corporations to leap into the mask-making business then.

By now, there would be plenty of American-made N-95-equivalent masks...albeit, probably lacking NIOSH certification...but then again, maybe not. There would have been more manufacturers even to provide medically certified masks, rather than merely pushing the current manufacturers to their maximum (and insufficient) output.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:04 PM

19,782 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I would also say there is a vast gulf between accidental mistakes and intentional ignorance/intentionally distorting the truth for your own purposes...

Mistakes have been made with regard to mask wearing and its effects. At the beginning of this, multiple doctors I know personally said "don't bother wearing a mask to the store because it won't really protect you." That was before we realized mask wearing actually protects others. And now, science is coming out saying it protects both to some degree. The constantly changing messaging on masks has led the general public to distrust government officials, although most of them were just saying what they knew at the time to be true.

Blatantly lying about how we are faring with regard to this virus is not a mistake. It's intentional. Calling Covid-19 a democratic hoax or an election stunt is not a mistake. It's intentional. Not wearing a mask to mask-making factories despite everyone else wearing them is intentional. I'm willing to be understanding regarding the changing science on coronavirus and the mistakes that have been made as we discover new information. However, I'm not willing to excuse the outright denial of science and the creation of a fictional reality which is then fed to the public, thus increasing the idiotic behavior of some of its citizens.
Excellent post.

Along those lines is the media's shaming of hydroxychloroquine/Trump vis a vis the drug etc. some level of science denial?

I'll try to find the link of a CNN anchor just abusing a guest over the drug yesterday. I think she said the drug shouldn't be mentioned. You and I can dig up dozens of Trump bashing stories relative to the drug written by people who don't know more about it than you and I.

Contrast that with a few points.

1. The fallback anti-hq, "study" published in Lancet was withdrawn as a fabrication.

2. I know for a fact some doctors in Dallas are giving the drug to patients now. I know for a fact my son took hq and prescribed it to patients in NY during the most dire of times. He's convinced that while limited in scope, a fair number of people should never take the drug, it works very well for many.

3. Far more important than those things from a visibility perspective......seek out a piece in Newsweek by Dr. Harvey A. Risch (MD+Ph.D), Yale. "The Key to Defeating Covid - 19 Already Exists We Need to Start Using It."

Much reasonable evidence indicates we've significantly sidelined a drug with great promise in the CV-19 fight in great part due to politics.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post

Agree. Bill Gates is a billionaire. He's not trying to make more money off this.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/23/...p-record-high/

Cases fell in Texas, likely due to the effects of the mask mandate, with more people wearing masks now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas