Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 06:26 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfolk89 View Post
You are dreaming if you think we'll keep the economy shut down forever. Feel free to die of starvation, the rest of us will move on with life when the time is right with the right precautions in place.

I didn't say that I thought we would. I'm saying that it's necessary to keep the curve flat.

I don't know what's going to actually happen when the experts try to explain that there are no rabbits in their hats.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:38 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
So July 1? You think the country / economy can stay shut down until July 1?
I never said I think the economy can easily stay shut down to July 1st. I'm speaking purely in terms of the virus and what I see as feasible. I get the impression you think I ENJOY seeing the economy tank or the idea of keeping things shut down forever or that I do not grasp the severity of the impact to our economy if we are shut down until July. This is absolutely not the case.

It may not be fun to digest, but if you ignore the emotional, fearful (and true) concern of 'how do we keep our economy and our previous society going if we don't open up soon!?' and purely look at the facts of a pandemic (and what we know about this one in particular), the reality to me is that we are in no way 4 weeks away from coming back out to play.

Even when we flatten the curve or start to truly see it on the downswing. That is realistically just the beginning of starting to enact the 'next steps'. It's also fully possible that we come out in the next couple months and end up sheltering in place 4 weeks later when we see an exponential rise in cases again. And we all need to realize that is a real possibility.

Again, it is NOT mutually exclusive to understand the devastation this is causing/will continue to cause on our economy but also not see this clearing up for us to return to work and school anytime soon. That's exactly why it is so scary.

But yes, I am thinking June/July is a more realistic time-frame for things to feel a bit more relaxed around here. I don't expect to be back in the office anytime before June at the absolute earliest. We have already extended WFH through May 31st and I expect it to get extended again (assuming we even have clients requesting more work -__-).

Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Well said. I completely agree. It doesn't help that Fauci has stated that he wants to keep the country shut down until there are 0 cases.
That's never going to work. Asymptomatic Americans are stuck in other countries with more than 0 cases. When they come back, the cycle starts again. It's like when travel was blocked for Chinese nationals, but 100's of thousands of a Americans in China flew back to the USA.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I never said I think the economy can easily stay shut down to July 1st. I'm speaking purely in terms of the virus and what I see as feasible. I get the impression you think I ENJOY seeing the economy tank or the idea of keeping things shut down forever or that I do not grasp the severity of the impact to our economy if we are shut down until July. This is absolutely not the case.

It may not be fun to digest, but if you ignore the emotional, fearful (and true) concern of 'how do we keep our economy and our previous society going if we don't open up soon!?' and purely look at the facts of a pandemic (and what we know about this one in particular), the reality to me is that we are in no way 4 weeks away from coming back out to play.
Why is my reaction to the economic and social impacts "emotional" and "fearful", but why is your reaction to the virus not the same? IMO you are the one being emotional and fearful.

If you want facts, here are some for you:

The percentage of people dying form CV without underlying conditions (diabetes, heart disease, asthma, cancer, etc) . is .014% in Italy and .03% in NY.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._pandemic.html

There are now very promising treatments:

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._in_sight.html

This is information about a company outside Waco making an efficient and inexpensive ventilator:

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/c...avirus-helmet/

The reality is (which you continue to ignore) that as many people could die from disease, starvation, poverty and violence from a socioeconomic collapse than ever will from this virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ssion.amp.html

The reality is, there are things worse than death, and we may be heading there soon if we don't turn this ship around. Why you can't acknowledge this is beyond me.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I think we are just on different wave-lengths. I am not saying I am responding better than you are or that my response is right and yours is wrong. I also have acknowledged over and over that the fear of keeping the economy shut down for a long time is a real and big fear of mine as well. We're both speculating based on data we have, processed through our own lens.

And I have never ignored that many people could die from disease, starvation, poverty, or violence from a socioeconomic collapse. I also don't think in our current financial and governmental structure we are going to see a total collapse by June/July. Things will be very tough though, no doubt.

I am also not unaware of the topics and data in most of those articles you posted. I am very aware of the mortality rate, with the understanding that the actual fatality rate may be less than presented with the largely incomplete number of cases etc. It doesn't change the fact that it is a highly contagious disease with a high fatality rate (yes the rate of contagion x the known fatality rate actually makes this disease quite deadly - even if the numbers look quite low from a math standpoint). Without the extreme shut-down measures we have taken, our death toll would be quite high. It's not something that can be 'proven' unfortunately, but we have certainly saved a substantial amount of lives so far.

I still believe that our long term economic health, as a country, but more specifically here in Dallas is better by averting the number of deaths we would likely be at without this shut down than it is by rushing things to get it headed in the right direction. Now where is the inversion point where that changes? 3 months? 6 months? 12 months? When do you bite the bullet if we are remaining shut in with no vaccine in site?

I honestly don't know, but I don't think we are close yet. And that is really the main point of contention between the two of us. So far, I think our local leaders have done the right thing. I think by mid May we will have a better picture here of how effective our shut down has been and hopefully they will have a Plan A for how we slowly come off shutdown locally and a Plan B if the cases start to grow again after Plan A is enacted. Ideally plan A is enacted when we are at or near zero NEW cases at the very least, with a lot of available tests and a task force ready to contact trace quickly.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:10 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
I wonder what will happen when the current moratorium on evictions ends, and thousands of Texans wind up on the street because they have no job and can't pay rent. There won't even be any restaurant jobs to wait tables at, as many restaurants have probably closed for good now.

I wonder if local churches could set up something for them, some temporary shelter.

We're going to see tons of people in the streets.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
Quote:
Well said. I completely agree. It doesn't help that Fauci has stated that he wants to keep the country shut down until there are 0 cases.
Where did he say that?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I think we are just on different wave-lengths. I am not saying I am responding better than you are or that my response is right and yours is wrong. I also have acknowledged over and over that the fear of keeping the economy shut down for a long time is a real and big fear of mine as well. We're both speculating based on data we have, processed through our own lens.

And I have never ignored that many people could die from disease, starvation, poverty, or violence from a socioeconomic collapse. I also don't think in our current financial and governmental structure we are going to see a total collapse by June/July. Things will be very tough though, no doubt.

I am also not unaware of the topics and data in most of those articles you posted. I am very aware of the mortality rate, with the understanding that the actual fatality rate may be less than presented with the largely incomplete number of cases etc. It doesn't change the fact that it is a highly contagious disease with a high fatality rate (yes the rate of contagion x the known fatality rate actually makes this disease quite deadly - even if the numbers look quite low from a math standpoint). Without the extreme shut-down measures we have taken, our death toll would be quite high. It's not something that can be 'proven' unfortunately, but we have certainly saved a substantial amount of lives so far.

I still believe that our long term economic health, as a country, but more specifically here in Dallas is better by averting the number of deaths we would likely be at without this shut down than it is by rushing things to get it headed in the right direction. Now where is the inversion point where that changes? 3 months? 6 months? 12 months? When do you bite the bullet if we are remaining shut in with no vaccine in site?

I honestly don't know, but I don't think we are close yet. And that is really the main point of contention between the two of us. So far, I think our local leaders have done the right thing. I think by mid May we will have a better picture here of how effective our shut down has been and hopefully they will have a Plan A for how we slowly come off shutdown locally and a Plan B if the cases start to grow again after Plan A is enacted. Ideally plan A is enacted when we are at or near zero NEW cases at the very least, with a lot of available tests and a task force ready to contact trace quickly.

Alright. Thank you for this well written reply.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Where did he say that?
"Two days ago, Fauci suggested the country could remain under quarantine until there are no more infections o[r] deaths."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...l_suicide.html

Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
18-yr old Carrollton girl, Lorraine Maradiaga, threatened to spread Coronavirus is facing terrorism charges. Carrollton police are still looking for her. She was not at her family's home. If you know her location, they need your help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-say-n1177951
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas