Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 03:54 PM

5,956 posts, read 4,210,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I am conflicted about this. The economy needs to be restarted. I found the story that you shared to be quite important. Would you like to know why White Rock Lake and Katy Trail are busy right now, even on weekdays during the traditional working hours? Unemployment has to be up over 15% right now.

The economy needs to be restarted because the jobless from that anecdote need jobs. I would argue in a different argument that unemployment is worse for men than women, and men tend to get laid off more than women.

At the same time, my personal approach to this has been to stay alive first and foremost, and to stay healthy. I have been financially devastated by this event, but money can be replaced. I am aware that my financial suffering will be immensely painful as I go forward in my life making the effort to rehabilitate my financial health. I would be unable to replace my own life or my long term well being.

This would be the reason why $2 trillion was pumped into the economy by the Fed. If business owners are planning this course of action, the unemployed need the additional monies due to them to survive until business owners can hire again. Business owners are also not in great shape if that's the case. For a lot of small to medium sized businesses, the financial outlook is as messy as the average individual's financial situation.

This scenario, as played out on a macro level throughout DFW and a macro level nationally, involves a lot of financial suffering.
It is an illusion that we have an economy vs. virus choice. The virus is going to be so bad during the next month or two that no one will be willing to go on with business as usual -- and that is with the numbers we will have with the shutdowns. If we lifted these shutdowns, the numbers would explode. No one is going to be willing to go about their normal lives when we are adding 100,000 cases per day and are seeing 4,000 deaths daily. And yes, those are the numbers we are talking about in 3-4 weeks' time, even with the shut downs.

If you're interested, I wrote a very long post discussing this very issue in the investments forum a week or so ago: The Economy vs. Epidemiology Illusion

Old 04-03-2020, 03:56 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,087,917 times
Quote:
I am conflicted about this. The economy needs to be restarted. I found the story that you shared to be quite important. Would you like to know why White Rock Lake and Katy Trail are busy right now, even on weekdays during the traditional working hours? Unemployment has to be up over 15% right now.

The economy needs to be restarted because the jobless from that anecdote need jobs. I would argue in a different argument that unemployment is worse for men than women, and men tend to get laid off more than women.

At the same time, my personal approach to this has been to stay alive first and foremost, and to stay healthy. I have been financially devastated by this event, but money can be replaced. I am aware that my financial suffering will be immensely painful as I go forward in my life. I will be making the effort to rehabilitate my financial health. I would be unable to replace my own life or my long term well being.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say.

I'm very sorry for your financial impact.

We were devastated by the 2008 crisis and I don't know how we can recover a second time.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:10 PM

4,245 posts, read 6,926,083 times
There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the long term financial impact is greater and exacerbated if we let the virus go un-checked than continue with the shut downs even though in the immediate term it appears to be a virus vs economy discussion.

I will read Wittgenstein's Ghost's economy post in a bit, but my guess is that is exactly what he is arguing as well.

It sucks. But I think we save the long-term economy by focusing on saving lives now. I've yet to see a compelling argument to the contrary (other than emotional gut feels), yet I have seen a lot of compelling and math/study based outcomes to support the shut down and lives saved being the lesser of two evils regarding the economy. If there is a math-based study or article showing the opposite I will gladly read it.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the long term financial impact is greater and exacerbated if we let the virus go un-checked than continue with the shut downs even though in the immediate term it appears to be a virus vs economy discussion.

I will read Wittgenstein's Ghost's economy post in a bit, but my guess is that is exactly what he is arguing as well.

It sucks. But I think we save the long-term economy by focusing on saving lives now
This!!

Old 04-03-2020, 04:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,472,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It is an illusion that we have an economy vs. virus choice. The virus is going to be so bad during the next month or two that no one will be willing to go on with business as usual -- and that is with the numbers we will have with the shutdowns. If we lifted these shutdowns, the numbers would explode. No one is going to be willing to go about their normal lives when we are adding 100,000 cases per day and are seeing 4,000 deaths daily. And yes, those are the numbers we are talking about in 3-4 weeks' time, even with the shut downs.

If you're interested, I wrote a very long post discussing this very issue in the investments forum a week or so ago: The Economy vs. Epidemiology Illusion
I read the post and it is a well reasoned and rational. That's why I said above that my first personal priority is to protect my own life and health, even though I am in screaming pain economically.

The government is making an attempt to quell my screaming pain with various stimulus measures. Let's see if my screaming pain is relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say.

I'm very sorry for your financial impact.

We were devastated by the 2008 crisis and I don't know how we can recover a second time.
I have no idea if I can recover a 2nd time. Like you, I was devastated in 2008. I spent most of the 2010s trying to recover from 2008 with mixed results. A good portion of the reason why I moved to Dallas in 2011 was a reaction to 2008. Dallas handled the recession and recessionary times of the late 2000s/early 2010s era better than a lot of areas in the United States. While there has been a lot of hype regarding Dallas' job market over the past decade, I have yet to find that my personal experiences as an employee in this market have matched the hype. While I have improved my standing in general as a result of moving to Dallas, it has not been a panacea.

Digging out of this whenever shelter in place ends, whether it is May 20 or sometime in June is not going to be great. While I may survive physically, I will emerge with some amount of economic, cultural, and possibly psychological PTSD over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post

It sucks. But I think we save the long-term economy by focusing on saving lives now. I've yet to see a compelling argument to the contrary (other than emotional gut feels), yet I have seen a lot of compelling and math/study based outcomes to support the shut down and lives saved being the lesser of two evils regarding the economy. If there is a math-based study or article showing the opposite I will gladly read it.
The short term is bad. The longer term may be better, but it is difficult to see that right now for the average person. Many people will spend a long time digging out from this.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:43 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,087,917 times
Quote:

Digging out of this whenever shelter in place ends, whether it is May 20 or sometime in June is not going to be great. While I may survive physically, I will emerge with some amount of economic, cultural, and possibly psychological PTSD over this.
The mental health implications are astounding. I am seeing more and more headlines about the risks of depression, anxiety, OCD, etc. and the rates of those conditions going up, or at least becoming less manageable.

I have a family member with major depression. This has been enormously hard on him. Thank goodness he is on a good prescription.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:02 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,225,819 times
Quote:
The mental health implications are astounding. I am seeing more and more headlines about the risks of depression, anxiety, OCD, etc. and the rates of those conditions going up, or at least becoming less manageable.

I have a family member with major depression. This has been enormously hard on him. Thank goodness he is on a good prescription.
I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in high school. Since I graduated from college I have been able to control it by seeing a psychologist when necessary. This includes a really bad case of postpartum depression due to a traumatic birth experience. Earlier this month I made an appointment with my son's psychiatrist in order to go back on antianxiety medicine because the stress of looking after my husband, two kids, three elderly grandparents with medical problems, and me during this crisis was too much to handle. I'm lucky because I can afford the appointment and medicine and because I already had a relationship with an excellent psychiatrist. A lot of people don't have those things.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,472,622 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in high school. Since I graduated from college I have been able to control it by seeing a psychologist when necessary. This includes a really bad case of postpartum depression due to a traumatic birth experience. Earlier this month I made an appointment with my son's psychiatrist in order to go back on antianxiety medicine because the stress of looking after my husband, two kids, three elderly grandparents with medical problems, and me during this crisis was too much to handle. I'm lucky because I can afford the appointment and medicine and because I already had a relationship with an excellent psychiatrist. A lot of people don't have those things.
I have an anxiety disorder and have had mild PTSD. I have been seeing a therapist, which is continuing due to videoconferencing.

I'd be in worse shape without it.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,255,607 times
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

National news of course, but it should be read and heeded by everyone locally... even people who profess to travel a lot.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM

227 posts, read 223,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-cover.html

National news of course, but it should be read and heeded by everyone locally... even people who profess to travel a lot.
finally the cdc and who admitted....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas