Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 10:30 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I have an immediate family member who was hospitalized for depression and anxiety. He was suicidal. He was injuring himself. He then had to put his life on hold to participate in intensive outpatient therapy for over a month...every day for 7 hours a day. Through medication and a lot of difficult therapy, he was able to climb out of the very deep dark hole he had been in for over six months.

One huge aspect of his recovery involves going out, being social, being involved, working, and all of that. The very last thing he is doing is being "whiny." Depressed people often self-isolate which makes the depression worse.

He is my hero. I wouldn't wish what he went through on my worst enemy.

You never know what goes on behind closed doors. I don't know why you would conclude that no one on this board has problems.
You have mentioned this guy with depression several times now as an argument against the lockdown. So do you feel saving his depression is worth infecting and killing others, which is something that could very well happen if he's allowed to be out and about in the world?

Would you feel the same way about his depression if he went out, got the virus and gave it to your husband and he died?

Just curious as I think too many people talk about this virus as an abstract "wont happen to me"...it's a different feeling when you get hit by it directly. In the UK, they had your view point too...till the Prime Minister almost died. They arent talking like you anymore.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:37 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You have mentioned this guy with depression several times now as an argument against the lockdown. So do you feel saving his depression is worth infecting and killing others, which is something that could very well happen if he's allowed to be out and about in the world?

Would you feel the same way about his depression if he went out, got the virus and gave it to your husband and he died?

Just curious as I think too many people talk about this virus as an abstract "wont happen to me"...it's a different feeling when you get hit by it directly. In the UK, they had your view point too...till the Prime Minister almost died. They arent talking like you anymore.
My argument is not against the lockdown.

My argument is that the lockdown also causes hardship for some people. My argument is that it isn't a simple matter of just relaxing and hanging out at home, as many people claim.

Also (and not directed to you) I never said that it was a political conspiracy.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:41 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Is anyone's school or school district planning on ways to make up missed learning for this school year? I'm mostly thinking younger students in elementary and Middle school. High school students may be able to manage on their own for a few weeks.

I'm hoping they are reviewing next year's curriculum for changes as a result of the COVID-19 school closures. We are schooling from home but I am not a teacher. There will be gaps.

Of course one could always hire a tutor when things calm down but that isn't an option available to everyone.
I'm sorry to quote you but I am curious--

Our school district is doing elearning...are most districts around here doing the same?

It is, however, all review and not new information.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to quote you but I am curious--

Our school district is doing elearning...are most districts around here doing the same?

It is, however, all review and not new information.
You can quote me...

Maybe my question should have been what does e-learning look like? Ours is mostly pre-recorded videos and outlined tasks. Not exactly a virtual classroom. (no live lessons).

I'm sure the kids are not getting the full learning experience/ material they would in the classroom. The material is mixed- some new some review but the pace is understandably much slower. No way they'll cover what's left of the curriculum by year end.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
I have an immediate family member who was hospitalized for depression and anxiety. He was suicidal. He was injuring himself. He then had to put his life on hold to participate in intensive outpatient therapy for over a month...every day for 7 hours a day. Through medication and a lot of difficult therapy, he was able to climb out of the very deep dark hole he had been in for over six months.

One huge aspect of his recovery involves going out, being social, being involved, working, and all of that. The very last thing he is doing is being "whiny." Depressed people often self-isolate which makes the depression worse.
There's a big mental health aspect with the virus. Job losses and/or stock market losses can make people despair. The Great Depression is evidence about an increase in suicides due to economic hardship.

Even without the financial issues, single and unattached people in quarantine are having social issues right now impacting their mental health. No sex, no opportunities to do in-person approaching, and massive time wasters on apps are what they are facing if they do not have a casual sex partner. Single and unattached people are one of the most vulnerable populations in this pandemic.

Married, attached people aren't having a fantastic time either, as family lawyers are seeing an increase in inquiries. Divorce takes a toll on mental health, a toll that likely can't be emphasized enough.

I think there's a need to be attuned to mental health in this. There's a need for awareness of one's own mental health and the mental health of family, significant others, and close friends.

Quote:
My argument is that the lockdown also causes hardship for some people. My argument is that it isn't a simple matter of just relaxing and hanging out at home, as many people claim.
Lockdown does cause financial hardship. Ask any bartender right now. DFW is not lacking for bartenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
And for a lot of us who are currently "well to do"... We may not be by the time this is all over with. I haven't lost my job but I have plenty of friends who have at this point, and we've still got weeks to go at least. Our neighbor was the latest casualty, lost a 6 figure paying job with a wife who stays at home with two young kids. They have resources to go for at least a few months, but he's already talking about putting their Tesla up for sale while there's people who still have the money to buy it.

I wish we could open things back up today, but it's just not feasible. This whole pandemic started in the US because we let about 100 people or less come into the country before we shut things down, and now we've got over 25% of the world's cases. When you consider countries as populous as China, India, etc... that is pathetic.
The United States is 4-5% of the world's population. If 5% of the world's population has over 25% of the world's cases, that's problematic.

Initially, the layoffs that got attention were the bartenders, waitstaff, and other service sectors. While their plights are important, it must not be forgotten that a sizable number of white collar professionals have gotten laid off in this. The example that you gave is pertinent to what's going on in the white collar world. It's a big deal when someone goes from a $110,000 annual salary to $0 employment salary. Unemployment payments from the government can't cover the shortfall.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Is anyone's school or school district planning on ways to make up missed learning for this school year? I'm mostly thinking younger students in elementary and Middle school. High school students may be able to manage on their own for a few weeks.

I'm hoping they are reviewing next year's curriculum for changes as a result of the COVID-19 school closures. We are schooling from home but I am not a teacher. There will be gaps.

Of course one could always hire a tutor when things calm down but that isn't an option available to everyone.
I asked a teacher friend this question - she is at an elite private school and taught 15+ years at two top publics before, fwiw - and she said not to worry because the first 6 weeks of curriculum is always re-teaching the prior year to get the kids back up to speed. She’s been a 1-6 grade teacher.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:44 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
And for a lot of us who are currently "well to do"... We may not be by the time this is all over with. I haven't lost my job but I have plenty of friends who have at this point, and we've still got weeks to go at least. Our neighbor was the latest casualty, lost a 6 figure paying job with a wife who stays at home with two young kids. They have resources to go for at least a few months, but he's already talking about putting their Tesla up for sale while there's people who still have the money to buy it.

I wish we could open things back up today, but it's just not feasible. This whole pandemic started in the US because we let about 100 people or less come into the country before we shut things down, and now we've got over 25% of the world's cases. When you consider countries as populous as China, India, etc... that is pathetic.

It's way too late to put the genie back in the bottle at this point. Our government should have taken a much more aggressive approach to handling this from the beginning but failed, and now we're all having to pay for it in one way or another.
Elections have consequences. We are all going to suffer enormously for a very long time because of the buffoon in chief and his ginormous ego.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:10 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Can we just stick to Dallas and not get into politics. The rules say:

"All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants."

Old 04-14-2020, 12:13 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
https://ntfb.org/

The North Texas Food Bank

Old 04-14-2020, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
https://ntfb.org/

The North Texas Food Bank
Food insecurity is a real thing, both locally and nationally. The food banks are overwhelmed right now. I guess government payments from unemployment are not enough. It could also be that unemployment does not cover enough people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas