Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,577 times

Advertisements

Is the shelter in place order still good until only this Wednesday? Or do you think it will be extended?

Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Is the shelter in place order still good until only this Wednesday? Or do you think it will be extended?
It will get extended.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 AM

578 posts, read 479,389 times
There need to be more NIMBY and less multi-family apartments.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...ntals/2342194/

Quote:
Parties During a Pandemic: Dallas Apartment Residents Sound Alarm on Short-Term Rentals

While many North Texans are social distancing and staying at home, some are opting to throw parties at apartment buildings using short-term rental sites like Airbnb.

Residents at one apartment building said they’re fed up and want the city to ban short-term rentals for now.

“People, for whatever reason, are throwing large parties, which is a danger to themselves as well as to us,” Ari Talton said. “I would honestly love if the mayor would at least temporarily ban rental of all Airbnb units in Dallas. This is happening in more buildings than just mine.”

Talton, an Irving teacher, said she was driven out of her Butler Brothers Building a week ago out of fear and frustration.

“Definitely not something I wanted to worry about. I would love to be in the comforts of my apartment that I’m paying for,” she said. “I’m actually here at my mom’s house.”

She said a flurry of strangers have come into her apartment building to party amid a global pandemic.

“We have Airbnb all the time, but within the last few weeks we’ve had maybe a dozen parties,” she said.

Another resident shared cell phone videos with NBC 5 that showed people filing out of an elevator, reportedly bound for a party.

Another video showed a group of people standing outside of a unit. And in a third video, loud music could be heard in yet another unit.

Dallas County’s shelter-in-place order states "all public or private gatherings of any number, outside a single household or living unit" are temporarily banned.

“We’re in a pandemic right now, so I don’t know if I’m more frustrated at people having the audacity to throw a party right now or AirBnB companies making it more affordable to do so,” Talton said.

She said she kept an eye on falling prices on the platform, which assures perspective renters staff has been trained to disinfect homes before and after each use.

NBC 5 saw listings for a one-bedroom unit for $61/night on Airbnb’s website listing the company Sonder as the "super host."

“To look online and see a unit in an apartment building where I live be $35 for an entire night, nothing good can come of that,” she said. “People who want to have a party during a pandemic need to be stopped.”

A spokesman for Airbnb said they would look into the matter and referred NBC 5 to a press release in which the company urged users to follow official guidelines regarding efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

"Please do not use Airbnb homes for parties or gatherings given the risks," stated the release, dated March 20.

The platform said it’s already disabled the "event friendly" filter, it is increasing efforts to detect unauthorized parties and would enforce against those who promote "this dangerous conduct."

Residents who wish to report violators should click here.

NBC 5 reached out to Butler Brothers Building management for comment.

A representative said whoever is allowing parties in the building is "violating the lease" and added management was "taking strong action to stop them."

Building management urged residents to report issues immediately.

NBC 5 reached out to the city of Dallas for further clarification on the current mandates and is awaiting a response.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
It will get extended.
I agree. In Dallas County, I foresee shelter in place going through April 30 at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
There need to be more NIMBY and less multi-family apartments.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...ntals/2342194/
There is not going to be a reduction in multifamily apartments. The demand has been there. Fewer Millennials (birth years 1981-1996 per Pew) have been forming sustainable longer term relationships. To this point, Millennials have been known for more fleeting romantic relationships. We don't know yet if Millennials will eventually get married as much as their predecessor generations, but the evidence that exists so far is that Millennials are doing the whole marriage thing, but at a later age. There have been more first time marriages in one's 30s among Millennials as compared to what would have been seen out of Gen X 15-20 years ago.

2 phases of life are now longer....

1. Single and unattached
2. Single and only moderately attached

Both of those phases of life are likely to involve multi-family residence dwelling.

As it relates to Dallas, during the past 10-20 years, Dallas has attracted a lot of people in their 20s/30s from other geographies for the purposes of career development, since Dallas offers a lot of career opportunities that people wouldn't get in other U.S. states or other countries. These are people who move to Dallas with no or a limited social circle. Because they move to Dallas without being able to reap the benefit of utilizing the social circles developed during their formative years, they are more dependent upon either meeting people through in-person cold approaches or dating apps, neither of which are as good at producing longer relationships than relationships formed via social circle. It is more difficult to form a good social circle when you move to area as an adult, as the best social circles are formed pre-high school or pre-college graduation. Not being in the same geography as your formative years social circles makes people more rootless and the dating process more difficult. When the dating process is more difficult, it takes more time. When it takes more time, there's more demand for multifamily dwellings, commonly apartments.

Parties right now are a really bad idea. I'm amazed that anyone is doing that.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 AM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
Press Conference with the City of Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson today at 10 a.m.
Subject: City of Dallas COVID-19 Update: March 30
Date: March 30, 2020 at 11:48:59 PM CDT

Dear City of Dallas Partner:

Earlier this evening, I signed a new set of emergency regulations relating to the collection of information regarding bed and ventilator capacity in the City of Dallas.

The regulations also suspend board and commission meetings — excluding the Park Board, City Plan Commission, and other boards and commissions required to meet pursuant to, or in compliance with, state or federal law — through April 29.

In addition, the City’s emergency regulations have been updated to match Dallas County’s recent orders, including the new order regarding long-term care facilities and construction, expanding them to cover the parts of the City of Dallas that are not in Dallas County. Check out the new order and press release here.

Tomorrow at 10:00 am, I will be holding a press conference to discuss the new regulations and other important City of Dallas COVID-19 updates. You are welcome to watch the press conference online here.

The COVID-19 situation is rapidly evolving, and I can assure you that Dallas will get through this.

I hope you will tune into the press conference tomorrow and that you will review the update below on the City of Dallas' COVID-19 planning and preparedness efforts.

As always, please email or call my office at (214) 670-3301 if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Eric Johnson
Mayor
City of Dallas
eric.johnson@dallascityhall.com
(214) 670-3301
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Positive cases of COVID-19

549 in Dallas County – 61 are new
135 in Collin County
139 in Tarrant County
191 in Denton County
2 in Kaufman County
3 in Rockwall County
10 in Ellis County
Lab Reports

As of 5:00 p.m. the City of Dallas Office of Emergency Management has received a report from six labs. Below are the numbers for today, Monday, March 30, 2020:

288 COVID-19 tests
47 positive
243 negative

Community Based Testing Sites – The numbers reported from the two community based testing sites for March 29 are as follows:

American Airlines Center
Ellis Davis Field House
Total number of individuals: 317
Total number of individuals: 112
Total tested: 247
Total tested: 71

Below are testing from labs numbers to date:

Total Tests to date by DCHHS
Total active cases
Total deaths
Total recovered
*Numbers as of March 13, 2020 to date, since the Mayor’s order went into effect

311 COVID-19 calls and SR data
Updates from Dallas County

Today Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) reported 61 additional positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the total case count in Dallas County to 549.
The eleventh death from COVID-19 was reported, a man in his 40s who was found deceased in his residence in the city of Dallas. This individual was reported to have had other high-risk chronic health conditions.
Of cases requiring hospitalization to date, about two-thirds (65%) have been either over 60 years of age or have had at least one known high-risk chronic health condition.
Hospitalizations from COVID-19 are increasing, with 36% of all hospitalized patients requiring admission to intensive care units.
City Operations

As a reminder, City Hall is closed to the public unless residents have an appointment. For more information on closures visit dallascityhall.com.
The Office of Business Diversity has partnered with the following minority publications to promote City facilities closures through their print and digital platforms.
Chinese Times – Print
Dallas Voice – Print/Social Media
Dallas Examiner – Print
Dallas Weekly – Social Media
Informate DFW – Social Media
Ads will begin running March 30 for social media ads and April 3 for printed ads. This will be an ongoing partnership to ensure communication is equitable among the minority community utilizing both print and digital communication.
Public Affairs and Outreach has uploaded educational graphics related to COVID-19 available for external use. To download graphics visit https://dallascityhall.com/Pages/Cor...s-Toolkit.aspx
The Office of Emergency Management was contacted by AT&T Performing Arts Center to extend the usage of N95 masks by first responders, as well as an alternative to a surgical mask for patients. Additionally, Dallas County has created a website (helpdallascounty.org), where they are compiling offers from the community to create masks and other items.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Per G. Abbott... All schools closed till May 4.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Per G. Abbott... All schools closed till May 4.
Just close schools for the year already. It creates more work for everyone having to keep coming up with different plans to reopen.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Just close schools for the year already. It creates more work for everyone having to keep coming up with different plans to reopen.
Yeah at this point, May 4 is essentially 95% of the semester. Stick a fork in it and be done with it.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM

227 posts, read 223,275 times
Governor Greg Abbott has extended his disaster declaration to limit human contact to prevent the spread of coronavirus, meaning schools are closed until at least May 4.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/03/31/...d-until-may-4/

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Our ISD sends video messages from the superintendent. An interesting thing he said the other day is that the district can't decide on Friday to open the schools on Monday. Apparently, there are protocols, regulations, etc. I fail to see how opening for the last three weeks of the school year is a realistic expectation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas