Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 05:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
How in the world can schools possibly reopen in 6 or 7 weeks?
Supposedly, children are at lower risk for the virus, but I'm still uncertain about sending mine back.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Supposedly, children are at lower risk for the virus, but I'm still uncertain about sending mine back.

They may be at lower risk from the dangers of the virus, but what about you and whatever adults you then come into contact with? Children will be children, and they will bring the virus back home.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
NYC lost 74 teachers and administrative staff to Coronavirus from March-May. Texas didn't have much of an outbreak, when the state shut down. There were two that passed away.

Phillip Perry, 49, principal, G.W Carver Middle School, Waco: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04...cks-community/
Obituary: https://www.echovita.com/us/obituari...perry-10631972

Adolph "T. J." Mendez, 44, kindergarten teacher, Oakwood Baptist Church, New Braunfels: Family: Virus killed a 'perfectly healthy' man | Community Alert | herald-zeitung.com
Obituary: https://www.doeppenschmidtfuneralhom...h-jt-mendez-iv

They could have caught it anywhere. f a teacher has diabetes or high blood pressure, they don't need the additional exposure. A preteen/teen could purposely spit in the teacher's face to infect them.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They may be at lower risk from the dangers of the virus, but what about you and whatever adults you then come into contact with? Children will be children, and they will bring the virus back home.
What I've heard is that children are less likely to pass on the virus (for whatever reason).

Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
What I've heard is that children are less likely to pass on the virus (for whatever reason).

This is a recent article from June. It sounds like worldwide stay at home orders really clouded the ability to understand covid’s effect on kids because most kids were cocooned at home. The big test will be sending them back to school. Other countries are having mixed results with schools resuming.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/18/...-easy-answers/

Old 07-04-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is a recent article from June. It sounds like worldwide stay at home orders really clouded the ability to understand covid’s effect on kids because most kids were cocooned at home. The big test will be sending them back to school. Other countries are having mixed results with schools resuming.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/18/...-easy-answers/
I had heard that it was working well in the UK but that was a few weeks ago.

If covid cases keep going up in Texas by August, I'm not sending my kids back. They will have to be homeschooled.

We also got our passport renewals done for the family the other day, because if things keep getting worse here in the USA we will go back to my spouse's home country to live.

New high record in Texas: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...onavirus-cases

Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
I had heard that it was working well in the UK but that was a few weeks ago.

If covid cases keep going up in Texas by August, I'm not sending my kids back. They will have to be homeschooled.

We also got our passport renewals done for the family the other day, because if things keep getting worse here in the USA we will go back to my spouse's home country to live.

New high record in Texas: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...onavirus-cases
This is what was mentioned about Britain in the article I linked. I trust our preschool to make the right decision. I suspect we will not be starting school on time unless something REALLY changes in the next 6 weeks. The church we’re affiliated with has not reopened for services and COVID in Dallas is not meeting tbe criteria the church outlined to be able to open in August as they planned so I assume the church will not allow the preschool to open until they decide it’s safe enough to reopen church. We are expecting an update around August 1.

Davies said there are confusing differences seen across countries that muddle the picture. A large national serology survey in Spain found that children were less likely to have been infected than adults — but the same was not true in Britain.

Disparities continue. Denmark reopened schools in mid-April, without serious disruptions. But when classes resumed in Israel in May, infections among children and teachers flared.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think they have enough covid specific data to come to that conclusion. But we know already know what the situation is with virus transmission and children in school: They share viruses gleefully and bring them home.

The questions with covid-19 is whether they will bring home a sufficient dose to be dangerous to the adults in that house...and that depends on the susceptibility of the particular adults in that particular household.

But there is zero doubt that they will bring it back home. That's how children and viruses are.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:00 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
It's not even about children catching it or not. Didn't Abbott just limit public gatherings to no more than 10 people? I gather this is happening in other states as well. School cannot happen under those conditions.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It's not even about children catching it or not. Didn't Abbott just limit public gatherings to no more than 10 people? I gather this is happening in other states as well. School cannot happen under those conditions.

I don't think it's been recalculated yet, but they had already issued social distancing guidelines for reopening schools. If don't know if those guidelines continue to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas