Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I'd imagine nurses/caretakers are being pretty responsible and careful about not transmitting this to their patients, no?

I'm not sure about house cleaners, and isn't the chance of getting this from food pretty low?
What an odd question, you seem to be assuming that everyone over the age of 60 or 70 doesn't work, and have no responsibilities outside of their home and can afford nurses, caretakers and house cleaners.
  • My husband worked until he was 72 and at 76 he will be working as a supervisor for the census when it starts back up next month.
  • 15% of people over 70 have jobs
  • 43% of physicians are over 55 as are 33% of scientists.
  • In 2012, 2.7 million grandparents in the U.S. were raising their grandchildren.
  • About 39 percent of these grandparent caregivers have cared for their grandchildren for five years or more.

So, do you still think that we should force all those 'old people' to isolate themselves so that you and your friends can have delicious fun running around in crowds without wearing masks passing the virus around and laughing that it's no worse than the common cold unless you're old?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:51 AM

577 posts, read 456,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sixty percent of people over 60 years old are still in the workforce.

Forty percent of people over 60 years old still in the workforce.

Seventy percent of people over 60 years old are living with a younger relative. Some are still even supporting that younger relative.
In those cases, I would hope the workforce would make an exception. I realize that's not the reality, but that would be my hope.

Same with the younger relative. If you are a young person who is coming into contact with an elderly person, you need to be more responsible. I haven't seen my parents during this time because of that fact, and I've also been pretty careful myself (although, admittedly, I've been far from perfect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If their jobsite requires their employees onsite, they need to show up or get fired. They aren't laid off, as soon as they hit 50. They compose most of the middle management ranks. As individual contributors, they have the most experience and knowledge at the office. At my employer, there are thousands of employees over 50 at different offices in Texas.

Why don't we do an updated version of Logan's Run, where workers reincarnate at 50 or laid off?

What is with these younger generations? smh
That is something I would have hoped could have changed so that people in the at-risk category weren't forced into that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Probably about as hard as it is for you to realize that your post was completely devoid of thought or compassion.
I'm simply opening up the topic for discussion to hear different ideas and approaches to handling this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What an odd question, you seem to be assuming that everyone over the age of 60 or 70 doesn't work, and have no responsibilities outside of their home and can afford nurses, caretakers and house cleaners.
  • My husband worked until he was 72 and at 76 he will be working as a supervisor for the census when it starts back up next month.
  • 15% of people over 70 have jobs
  • 43% of physicians are over 55 as are 33% of scientists.
  • In 2012, 2.7 million grandparents in the U.S. were raising their grandchildren.
  • About 39 percent of these grandparent caregivers have cared for their grandchildren for five years or more.

So, do you still think that we should force all those 'old people' to isolate themselves so that you and your friends can have delicious fun running around in crowds without wearing masks passing the virus around and laughing that it's no worse than the common cold unless you're old?
I think changes need to be made so that the eldery (and high-risk) aren't forced to go into work.

I'm not sure why you think I want to have delicious fun running around in crowds without wearing masks and passing the virus. I'm wondering if there is a benefit to getting more young/healthy people infected and then recovered which could potentially create more immunity within our community. That's why I'm asking these questions. Ideally nobody would get the virus, but unfortunatley we failed that plan, so now we have to live with it.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is what gets to me. Some people keep saying "people over 60" should just stay home all the time.

It is simply not an option for many of them.

Many people over 60 are raising their grandkids - as in, full time parenting. Half the people picking up kids at my children's school are the grandparents - not the parents.

Also, not everyone can retire in their late 50s or 60s. Many people need to work, like....so they can have food to eat.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Most people who go into the hospital don’t have permanent damage.
I was asking for actual statistics. (Hospitalization rate)

This is an opinion.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
I am still confused when Mask became equal to Freedom

But then how difficult is for the leader of the country to wear a mask. Giving a false impression of security while availing testing and other medical facilities at the white house makes the common man think that somehow the virus can be defeated if we scream . This is America. We fight for our freedom by not wearing masks
It's been proven that even people with asthma can wear a face covering without their oxygen levels dropping at all.

Even for the tiny percentage of people who do have serious breathing problems, they can still put a loose covering over their mouth & nose.

Even doctors and nurses who wear a mask all day long, do so without any difficulty breathing.

There is no "loss of freedom" when a person is required to wear pants to walk into a building. If we are required to cover our private parts, why is it a problem to cover our mouths?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,418 times
I am wearing a KN95 or a level 3 surgical mask with a shield clipped on to my loupes for 2-3 hours at a time. Sometimes I can doff my mask between pts but it's more often the case I cannot. My breathing is just fine. NO headaches, no fuzzy brain or any of the other "reported" issues. I do feel for front line hospital workers wearing N95 for very long periods (ie, a 12 hour shift). That is TOTALLY different. And it's worlds away from "Karen" whining about wearing a mask to the grocery store.

My husband had to fly to TN (they had put it off as long as possible). He wore N95 the entire flight there and back (so, 2 hours plus each way) and used a Level 2 surgical mask in the airport. I trained him how to safely don/doff the masks. He is a 50 year old non health care worker who has seasonal asthma and allergies and he was FINE. Completely full flights both ways.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's been proven that even people with asthma can wear a face covering without their oxygen levels dropping at all.

Even for the tiny percentage of people who do have serious breathing problems, they can still put a loose covering over their mouth & nose.

Even doctors and nurses who wear a mask all day long, do so without any difficulty breathing.

There is no "loss of freedom" when a person is required to wear pants to walk into a building. If we are required to cover our private parts, why is it a problem to cover our mouths?

If a Floridian makes a trip to Denver, then wears an N-95 mask and spends a lot of time walking the city, he may feel a bit more fatigue.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
In those cases, I would hope the workforce would make an exception. I realize that's not the reality, but that would be my hope.

Same with the younger relative. If you are a young person who is coming into contact with an elderly person, you need to be more responsible. I haven't seen my parents during this time because of that fact, and I've also been pretty careful myself (although, admittedly, I've been far from perfect).

That is something I would have hoped could have changed so that people in the at-risk category weren't forced into that position.

I'm simply opening up the topic for discussion to hear different ideas and approaches to handling this.

I think changes need to be made so that the eldery (and high-risk) aren't forced to go into work.

I'm not sure why you think I want to have delicious fun running around in crowds without wearing masks and passing the virus. I'm wondering if there is a benefit to getting more young/healthy people infected and then recovered which could potentially create more immunity within our community. That's why I'm asking these questions. Ideally nobody would get the virus, but unfortunatley we failed that plan, so now we have to live with it.

Hecks yes, a national retirement program that would allow people to retire at 60 at the full pay of their last job sounds peachy. Sign me up for that.

It's not going to happen this year, though.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:58 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a benefit to getting more young/healthy people infected and then recovered which could potentially create more immunity within our community. That's why I'm asking these questions. Ideally nobody would get the virus, but unfortunatley we failed that plan, so now we have to live with it.
"Herd immunity" is probably the most misunderstood concept in all of this. It doesn't begin to kick it at all until at least 50% of the population is infected. Even if you think cases are underreported by a factor of ten, we've only had about 8% of the population infected.

We will almost certainly have a vaccine before we have natural herd immunity.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
"Herd immunity" is probably the most misunderstood concept in all of this. It doesn't begin to kick it at all until at least 50% of the population is infected. Even if you think cases are underreported by a factor of ten, we've only had about 8% of the population infected.

We will almost certainly have a vaccine before we have natural herd immunity.

What are some of the satisfactory examples of natural herd immunity from a deadly disease that didn't involve vaccines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas