Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 11:29 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think it's important to put that number in perspective, it was 80,000 in 12 months vs 127,000 in less than 4 months
Even so flu numbers are estimated, it was probably well higher. With covid its basically your old and die and its covid. The majority of deaths are people with underlying conditions and over 70 years old. You could easily put any type of death to that.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:18 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Even so flu numbers are estimated, it was probably well higher. With covid its basically your old and die and its covid. The majority of deaths are people with underlying conditions and over 70 years old. You could easily put any type of death to that.

You're still here posting inaccurate and false information?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:32 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
I do have an issue if hospitals are overloaded. Although I would like to know how many are serious vs how many just go with a fever. Even before covid, emergency rooms would still be full with anyone who was sick. I hope the people going are very sick, not just "not feeling well".

My family is from the northeast so I am aware how "bad" it was/is. At the same time most people that died were 80 years or older and many with multiple health issues. To make them all seem they died of covid when they easily could have passed because of other causes is making this situation worse. I even had a relative 4 years ago who kept getting pneumonia and they posted natural cases of her death. Now, it would be covid.
If you want ICU available beds, you can check most state govt dashboard, there is usually a tab for it. The official Texas dashboard for the govt breaks it out by Trauma area, and not county level.

Health officials are worried about ICU capacity maxing out for multiple hospitals, this is why they control the spread. Even with field hospitals, the level of care for non-COVID patients suffer.

You don’t want your coma, stroke, heart attack, recovering surgery patients to have decreased mortality , I don’t remember the flu maxing out any hospital system in the way Coronavirus did to Illinois, Detroit, NJ, NYC, UK, France and Spain.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
So you are talking about what, half of the adults in the US? people who are 70 or over, or obese, have HBP, diabetes or have to take a biologic to control another disorder like lupus? And mortality rates are higher for people under 70 with those conditions (as well as several others) not just over 70 with a medical condition.

And you ignore the implications of just being sick with Covid, which may well include never fully recovering, or recovering and having it reappear in some different form. For instance, if you ever had chickenpox you are vulnerable to shingles. So this cavalier attitude of deciding that it's ok to do nothing because "oh well only people who aren't like me die" is exactly why we are where we are, with huge numbers of new cases in several states. I am not an expert and don't pretend to do one but I rely on science and the experience of populations who have successfully eradicated Covid-19, like Taiwan.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:27 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
It can be conclusively determined when covid is the proximate cause of death, despite other factors being present. Accute Respiratory Distress Syndrome caused by covid-19 looks distinctly different from ARDS caused by flu. Different things are happening within the lung avioli. It looks distinctly different on both x-ray and CT scans.

Moreover, covid-19 will cause other symptoms as well that flu doesn't cause, such as blood clotting and destruction of blood vessels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTionnTT9I

Old 06-28-2020, 05:30 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Here is a beautiful story from a man on the passing of his parents. They were admitted to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. The hospital did a great job of putting the parents together.

Fort Worth couple married for 53 years dies from coronavirus while holding hands - https://www.wsaz.com/2020/06/28/texa...holding-hands/

Old 06-28-2020, 09:36 PM

352 posts, read 778,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Salon owner Shelley Luther is back. Abbott gave Shelley the freedom to challenge the bar closings, after he gave her a free pass. Shelley Luther will be a speaker at the Free Our Bars & Restaurants Protest and Rally. If she keeps this up, she may be running for a government office in 2022.

https://twitter.com/ShelleyLuther/st...17535799033861

FREE OUR BARS & RESTAURANTS PROTEST & RALLY! BAND JAM OUT!
Sunday June 28th Kilgore TX - Machine Shed Bar & Grill and Down Home

https://www.facebook.com/events/s/fr...2989491314341/

Dallas salon owner says Gov. Abbott's order to shut down bars is 'discriminatory'
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/da...2-11ccf08cf326

Oh great her again?

She loves attention. Her whole shenanigan earlier was for attention and increase traffic for her business. Now she is back to gain more attention

Old 06-29-2020, 08:32 AM

451 posts, read 320,386 times
This is what happens when people (especially media) do not pay attention to details. I would like to get BLDSoon and WGhost's perspective on this news article. "In Methodist’s first peak of cases on April 10, Boom said, 47 percent of admitted COVID patients needed ICU care. On Sunday, 25 percent of the hospital’s ICU patients had COVID."
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-15372256.php

It is also interesting to see how 1 hospital system's alert of 100 % ICU capacity quickly translates in media to ALL Houston hospitals reaching 100% ICU capacity, mayor suggests a shutdown and Governor has to retract his re-opening plans and have bars closed. Many of these bars and restaurants will go out of business soon. I suspect some reporters think and convey that the 100% of ICU beds are filled with Covid-19 patients.

I totally understand the pain of the families that have lost a loved one. But I also think that many deaths could have been avoided in March/April. I know that Dr. Fauci is considered to be an expert by many here. I, for one, would like him replaced. In my opinion, he has been part of the problem. He has held positions as a top epidemiologist for our country for more than 3 decades and his statement in last week of January was that he does not see this virus becoming a big problem in the US. He has been reacting, not definitive, following other govt's actions, not leading in this effort and has been feeding the media frenzy. He makes statements to media like "Something is not working" when he is supposed to make things work. He has been off on numbers quite a few times as well.

With people here on this forum providing an alternative view, I would suggest that we all need to hear them out, understand their perspectives. We, as a people, challenge authority, challenge media, we express our opinion, we protest, we argue, we strive for better and that is what makes our country the greatest country on the planet.

I will wait for a month's time before posting again on this thread. As I said previously, I am quite sure that we will be in a similar panic mode, now with media reporting a different set of cities reaching peak capacity, even though we will see number of daily deaths constantly on a decline. It is interesting to see that media is not concerned with spread with the protests while it is very concerned with the spread "definitely" happening because of businesses opening early. (I support protests and opening of businesses.)

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 06-29-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Bingo!

So you ARE lay people! That's a wonderful admission seeing as some of you are rather comfortable disputing and minimizing the findings and concerns of EXPERTS in the field.
What exactly did I say that is in conflict with what experts are saying?

And it seems like you are admitting that your suggestion of lay people calling up the CDC to give epidemiological advice was silly after all.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Covid vaccine...that is really optimistic. Basically the quickest vaccine has been done in 4 years. Do I think they are working hard and could do this in 2 to 3 years sure.
You aren't paying attention to the actual progress, then. Moderna is starting a stage 3 trial with 30,000 humans next month! Astra Zeneca is only a small step behind them. The odds that this will take 2-3 years are pretty much zero.

I think there's going to be a vaccine approved for emergency use in 2020 -- possibly by the election. I think it will be available for widespread use in early 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas