Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
NBC 5 is reporting Dallas and Richardson ISD's closed "indefinitely."
HPISD announced an “indefinite” break tonight.

And our family business is all but shut down. And who knows when it will reopen or what consumer behavior will be like then. This is truly beyond my comprehension.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

And our family business is all but shut down. And who knows when it will reopen or what consumer behavior will be like then. This is truly beyond my comprehension.
I am so sorry. I agree this is just unbelievable. The stories coming out of Italy are very frightening.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:52 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:

I'm sorry.

My husband has accepted a job out of state and I am scared to death now about the market and everything.

I know it doesn't compare to people dying or people losing their income, but there are a lot of scenarios I'm thinking of now that don't look very positive.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 03-16-2020 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
My brother was down in Deep Ellum yesterday for his fiancee's co worker's birthday bash (yeah he thought it was a stupid idea too, but the fiancee is one of those "this is all a hoax" types, and he caved). He said he was shocked, the bars/clubs were all packed to the gills. Clearly people here in the metroplex are NOT taking this seriously at all. It's a shame that it appears people cannot be trusted to do the right thing, instead it's going to have to be a government mandated action that saves us all. I think I read that Ohio and some other states are now closing down bars and clubs. Texas will probably be dead last in this but hopefully this happens sooner rather than later.
Correct, there are people who aren't sitting at home acting like the apocalypse is upon us. I'm one of them and will admit. My friend and I went to a brewery event this past weekend. If your healthy you will survive. Some people don't want to live in a bubble and going out that is what others are saying.

I do believe more people are infected than what is actually known, probably a lot more. I also believe at some point we can't contain this and many will be infected and develop an immunization to it over the next year or two. We could maybe stop it now, but it could easily come back in 2, 4, 7, 10 months...whenever. This is here to stay and at some point we have to deal with it head on. If your healthy stay home and let those with a weak immune system go to the hospital.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Correct, there are people who aren't sitting at home acting like the apocalypse is upon us. I'm one of them and will admit. My friend and I went to a brewery event this past weekend. If your healthy you will survive. Some people don't want to live in a bubble and going out that is what others are saying.

I do believe more people are infected than what is actually known, probably a lot more. I also believe at some point we can't contain this and many will be infected and develop an immunization to it over the next year or two. We could maybe stop it now, but it could easily come back in 2, 4, 7, 10 months...whenever. This is here to stay and at some point we have to deal with it head on. If your healthy stay home and let those with a weak immune system go to the hospital.
I just can’t with people like you. There ARE people on respirators who were healthy before contracting this. You are not immune. Nor invincible.

#staythe****home

Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm sorry.

My husband has accepted a job out of state and I am scared to death now about the market and everything.

I know it doesn't compare to people dying or people losing their income, but there are a lot of scenarios I'm thinking of now that don't look very positive.
Ugh that’s a tough situation. It all is. I can’t see any scenario where this is not 10X worse than 2008. If you don’t own Netflix, Amazon, a grocery store, an essential medical practice, or the utility company....you’re screwed.

Nobody business plans for something like this. We’ve always had contingency plans for sales to run down 20-25% as a “worst case” scenario. But not 90%. And not -90% for an indefinite period.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Ugh that’s a tough situation. It all is. I can’t see any scenario where this is not 10X worse than 2008. If you don’t own Netflix, Amazon, a grocery store, an essential medical practice, or the utility company....you’re screwed.

Nobody business plans for something like this. We’ve always had contingency plans for sales to run down 20-25% as a “worst case” scenario. But not 90%. And not -90% for an indefinite period.
I'm glad he took the new job. They actually *need* him, which they don't at his current job. So from that perspective I think it's better.

I'm facing the prospect of staying here with the kids though if the housing market collapses. I feel kind of sick thinking about the timing. Again, I know many people are going to have a tough time, so I'm not trying to be "woe is me", but I am genuinely concerned.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
There are currently 85 known cases in the state of Texas.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
I just can’t with people like you. There ARE people on respirators who were healthy before contracting this. You are not immune. Nor invincible.

#staythe****home
Please don't tell me what to do, we can make our own decisions and not all have to agree. I have a better chance of being in a car accident and dying right now than getting this virus.

My point is there is many who taking this head on and not sitting at home panicked. I think most of us will get it or a strain eventually, and think containment is pointless.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
New guidance is to restrict events and social gatherings to not more than 10 people. If a social gathering could be avoided completely, please avoid. Note that 85 % of us will have mild symptoms and will be fine. The restriction for social gatherings is to ensure that if we get infected, we do not spread it to our parents/grand-parents or someone with a compromised immune system. You may have mild or no symptoms and you can still infect your parent/grand-parent/loved one. The immediate objective is to protect our senior citizens and health-care professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
CDC recommends cancellation of events with 50 or more people for next 8 weeks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/cdc-...ughout-us.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas