Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The fact that people are excited that a pro basketball player *MIGHT* make a try at getting signed to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers again pretty much sums up how small town and provincial Cleveland really is. Sorry guys, but he's an overpaid arrogant athlete playing a game that in the big picture matters ZERO! And you think this somehow elevates Cleveland to another level because .... ?!?!?
The nation certainly doesn't think it's nothing. This story was covered on the front page of all the major news outlets. ESPN has a reporter that does nothing other than follow Lebron James, and he's on the front page of ESPN every single day. It's not everything, no, but getting the best basketball player in the world to come play for his hometown team in Cleveland is a great story that everyone can appreciate. Breaking a 50 year championship drought would be an even better one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,852,888 times
Nothing, but a "Cleveland Steamer" comes to mind.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,737,647 times
As a "west coastie", I only know about Cleveland through their sports teams.

I do remember the "Dawg Pound", with Bernie Kosar and Earnest Byner just to name a few. Very tough, and no frills. Those teams were always one step away from greatness, but unfortunately always fell short. And the old Municipal Stadium was a run down relic, let's face it.

And the Browns uniforms are identical to what they were back when Jim Brown was their star. Very Plain Jane, they don't even have a logo on the helmet!

I always got the idea that Cleveland was very traditional working class/blue collar.

Nothing glittery or glitzy about the city, although it's got as much working class character as any city in America.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:00 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,995,650 times
Some of you need to read this article:

AP stylebook: datelines, cities that stand alone - Blogs - GHS Newsroom

There are reasons the dateline in a news story might say "Cleveland" or "Pittsburgh" or "St. Louis," as opposed to "Fresno, Calif.," "Omaha, Neb.," or "Jackson, Miss."

Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
As a "west coastie", I only know about Cleveland through their sports teams.

I do remember the "Dawg Pound", with Bernie Kosar and Earnest Byner just to name a few. Very tough, and no frills. Those teams were always one step away from greatness, but unfortunately always fell short. And the old Municipal Stadium was a run down relic, let's face it.

And the Browns uniforms are identical to what they were back when Jim Brown was their star. Very Plain Jane, they don't even have a logo on the helmet!

I always got the idea that Cleveland was very traditional working class/blue collar.

Nothing glittery or glitzy about the city, although it's got as much working class character as any city in America.
Like everything else, cities change. What Cleveland was in the 80s is not what Cleveland is today, same goes for Seattle, or whatever city you come from. Our city still has a lot of blue collar, but its economy has significantly diversified, and many factories have left, just as they have throughout the US, to move overseas. Now, our main industries are healthcare, insurance, banks, and social services. The manufacturing that we do have has mostly switched over into high-tech, with a lot fewer workers with a lot higher education levels. Many of the uneducated blue collar workers from the 1980s and prior have packed up and moved to sun belt cities like Charlotte, Phoenix, and Tampa. The city has shrunk considerably since then. Those who are left, and those who are moving here are more educated than prior generations. The result is that the region may be losing population, but it's gaining brain power. And as those who dislike our winters, our politics, our sports teams, or anything else about our city have packed up and moved to "greener pastures" where they can bring fresh complaints, the ones who are left are mostly people who really care about the city, and really want to see it succeed. Throughout our city, people are making that happen.

People who know nothing about our city like to deride us. We were the butt of jokes on late night talk shows for many years. Our sports teams failed, our river caught on fire, our mayor's hair caught on fire. Fairly or not, we were a laughing stock. But, as I said earlier, things change. We are not the same Cleveland of 20 or 30 years ago. We have a clean great lake, a national park, excellent public transportation, vibrant urban neighborhoods, a rebuilt (and repurposed) downtown, a fantastic, world class, and one of a kind museum and education district, a top 4 US hospital. We are a gritty, affordable, artsy, liberal, diverse, cosmopolitan urban center in the state of Ohio, and I for one would not choose to live anywhere else.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 AM

437 posts, read 548,502 times
I've been to Cleveland twice. Went to a indians game both time. Downtown had a decent amount of bars and stuff like that going on before the game but seemed dead after it. Seemed like it'd be pretty boring. Pittsburgh is 100 times better to me

Old 07-12-2014, 08:39 AM

792 posts, read 635,670 times
Well Cleveland is about to become ESPN's new favorite city..

Can't stand all the LeBron hype. In my opinion he's a conceited, arrogant tool. I'm sure the people of Cleveland are nice though, I've never been.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Well Cleveland is about to become ESPN's new favorite city..

Can't stand all the LeBron hype. In my opinion he's a conceited, arrogant tool. I'm sure the people of Cleveland are nice though, I've never been.
Have to disagree with you there. He is one of the greatest basketball players who has ever lived. Not someone I would call a fool. And the essay he wrote announcing his return to Cleveland shows he's not conceited or arrogant either. The media likes to overthink and overhype things. That's not LBJ's fault.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Since the topic is not the Convention but the characteristics of Cleveland...how is this a current event topic?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Have to disagree with you there. He is one of the greatest basketball players who has ever lived. Not someone I would call a fool. And the essay he wrote announcing his return to Cleveland shows he's not conceited or arrogant either. The media likes to overthink and overhype things. That's not LBJ's fault.
You're right: LBJ (Lyndon Baines Johnson) was the 36th President of the United States and it's hardly his fault that the media likes to "overthink and overhype things."

As for the inconsequential professional athlete LeBron James, he absolutely is responsible for the media hype that surrounds his persona. He milks it, manipulates it and has gotten filthy rich off of it. Don't fool yourself.

It's also rather disingenuous of you to call him "one of the greatest basketball players who's ever lived" and then blast the media hype surrounding him. As someone who abhors the hero worship our society gives to entertainers and athletes, I find your hypocrisy rather humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events