Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Remember, you're arguing with people who think Cleveland is the "next Hollywood" because "A Christmas Story" was filmed there 30 years ago and then that Drew Carey thing ...
I don't care much for Cleveland. I am unable to find many redeeming qualities about the city, or anything that really shows it's turned itself around. I do take issue with people who don't respect the actual size of a city. Suggesting Fresno is larger than Cleveland is beyond stupid.

That's like saying Oklahoma City is bigger than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 AM

493 posts, read 640,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In the 2012 presidential election, Obama won only a few slivers of Ohio, and part of that was the northern part of the state, around Akron and Cleveland. The Republicans obviously want to win back this area, since Ohio is always such a key battle ground state, and with its high population offers a lot of electoral votes.

What do I think of when I hear Cleveland? A has been city that is beginning to regain some footing.

At its worst? A mini Detroit.

At its best? A Pittsburgh copy cat.

The demographics have not been kind to Cleveland, steadily shedding population for over 50 years with no end in sight. High poverty rate, high crime rate, even the MSA is stagnant or shrinking by some estimates. It's one thing for the city to shrink, it's an entirely something else if the MSA begins to shrink.

I've never been to Cleveland, but what I generally hear about it isn't the best. I know they have a few highly renowned hospitals, I know they have a beach on a really crappy and dirty lake, I know the downtown actually looks nice, I know they get horrendous winters, I know I don't want to live there.
I would say that Cleveland copies Pittsburgh, especially because Pittsburgh doesn't nearly have as many 5 star restaurants and museums and definitely not as many theaters.

Some areas "look like Detroit", in the sense that they're partially abandoned, mostly African American and not usually safe, but there are those neighborhoods in every city.

The MSA went down in Clevland by only a couple thousand in about 3 years, which isn't terrible but isn't good. They expect a rise in population in the next few years, so I wouldn't be too worried about the population.

Cleveland doesn't have a beach. Cleveland has several beaches. Some are better than others, but most of them are good and Lake Erie isn't that dirty. Mostly just in areas closer to downtown.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I don't care much for Cleveland. I am unable to find many redeeming qualities about the city, or anything that really shows it's turned itself around. I do take issue with people who don't respect the actual size of a city. Suggesting Fresno is larger than Cleveland is beyond stupid.

That's like saying Oklahoma City is bigger than Atlanta.
What you're saying is like saying Cleveland is bigger than New York because Cleveland has more land. It's all about the metro population. Fresno has like 900,000. Cleveland has over 2 million. In Fresno's CSA there's only a little over 1 million people, but Cleveland has over 3.5 million.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
What you're saying is like saying Cleveland is bigger than New York because Cleveland has more land. It's all about the metro population. Fresno has like 900,000. Cleveland has over 2 million. In Fresno's CSA there's only a little over 1 million people, but Cleveland has over 3.5 million.
No, that is not what I'm saying at all.

We are on the same page. What I'm saying has nothing to do with land. It has to do with city population, which is often misleading, vs metro population, which is the best indicator of a city's overall size.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
No, that is not what I'm saying at all.

We are on the same page. What I'm saying has nothing to do with land. It has to do with city population, which is often misleading, vs metro population, which is the best indicator of a city's overall size.
No it's not. The only place that goes by the cities population is New York. Everywhere else is usually the metro population. What you're saying is like saying that suburbs are a city of their own and are 100% separate from the major city that they surround. You're completely leaping over the metro and combined statistical populations.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
NBC News had a terrific story today about the hypocrisy of Clevelanders burning LeBron James jerseys four years ago and now dancing in the streets. No mention whatsoever of the upcoming RNC.

That pretty much sums up Cleveland, I guess.

Oh, you mean like the 3 or 4 people they showed on national tv, and spun it that the whole city was burning Lebron jerseys, and made it seem like we were rioting in the streets? That hypocrisy? Yes people were upset about the way it went down 4 years ago, but there wasn't mass burnings of jerseys, nor were there riots.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Remember, you're arguing with people who think Cleveland is the "next Hollywood" because "A Christmas Story" was filmed there 30 years ago and then that Drew Carey thing ...

And of course you also knew that "The Avengers 2012" was shot here, as well as "Draft Day," "Captain America...The Winter Solider"... "Jackass's Bad Grampa" also was partially filmed here. All recent movies. "To Kill An Irish Man" while most of it was shot in Detroit, was also set in Cleveland and based on a true story about Danny Greene the infamous Irish mobster, during a time when the Mafia was in their prime. And... more films to come. It looks as though the new "Ghostbusters 3" will be shot here.

World famous chef Michael Symon also hails from this city.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,770,940 times
I might be bias but anytime I heard Cleveland, I imagine of Drew Carey. I imagine that everybody i Cleveland look like him and his crew in the sitcom. I know this is wrong! ;D

Aside of that I am not sure what to think about Cleveland. Perhaps a small town with a strip of tall building close to the water. I drew that conclusion from again watching Drew Carey show.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM

404 posts, read 827,744 times
I don't think Cleveland has come out from under the defunct rust-belt river-on-fire perception. That aside I think of it as very blue collar, down to earth, union-y. Like Pittsburgh.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM

8,096 posts, read 7,467,481 times
Back in 2012 we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and spent a few days in town. I think Cleveland is a nice little city.

I am originally from West Orange, New Jersey so I'm familiar with New York and Newark. I also have experience with Boston and Philly.

BTW, do you know that Cleveland and urban Essex County, New Jersey are the only two places on earth where people use the word "ditch" to mean cut in line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events