Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

Cleveland is one of those cities I always want to root for and see make a comeback. It has so much potential and I hope it never goes the way of Detroit. It's a shame to see once great cities being reduced to rubble and urban decay along the rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If it's so great why are people leaving it?
Because jobs left. That doesn't mean it's not a great place to live. You really think that a city's growth is the only way to determine a city's quality? Williston, North Dakota has a hugely growing population because of the oil boom, but I don't think many people would call it a great place.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Because jobs left. That doesn't mean it's not a great place to live. You really think that a city's growth is the only way to determine a city's quality? Williston, North Dakota has a hugely growing population because of the oil boom, but I don't think many people would call it a great place.
Usually a place where the jobs are drying up is not a great place to live. Not saying Cleveland is bad, but it definitely does not have a good reputation.

Other cities where the jobs have dried up:

Detroit
Gary
Pittsburgh
East St. Louis
Camden

Yeah, I hope Cleveland is able to turn around its population loss, not doing the city any favors.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
If it's so great why are people leaving it?
One party rule for too long. Loss of manufacturing jobs, though we still have some left, greedy unions, NAFTA, ect... Also stupid policies such as bussing that caused middle class folks to flee to the suburbs. The inner city neighborhoods are where the population losses continue to happen, which is going to happen when crime and poverty chases away middle class people who don't want to deal with that s***! However; downtown Cleveland's population continues to grow. It's a start. Not to mention we have a lot of start up businesses going on, and a booming medical field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Cleveland is one of those cities I always want to root for and see make a comeback. It has so much potential and I hope it never goes the way of Detroit. It's a shame to see once great cities being reduced to rubble and urban decay along the rust belt.
Thanks. Those of us who still live in the region are rooting for us too. I think Detroit is worse off than we are too, and it's a shame that a once great city such as Detroit has really fallen to shambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I think the decline is starting finally slow a bit. Will Cleveland ever max out again and return to it's 1950's population of close to 1 million residents? No. Probably not, unless Cleveland and Cuyahoga County merged as what Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville, Charlotte and Jacksonville did via annexation. But I could see with the positive direction it's heading, eventually hitting 500,000 to 600,000 residents in the city proper. One benefit to this region is sitting next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, and with Ohio getting on board with the rest of the Great Lakes States and Canada in promising not to pipe water from the Great Lakes watershed, well.... fresh water may be the next boom. So, if you want it, and plenty of it, I guess you better come to where it's abundant. Because we ain't sharing it!

Quote:
Usually a place where the jobs are drying up is not a great place to live. Not saying Cleveland is bad, but it definitely does not have a good reputation.

Other cities where the jobs have dried up:

Detroit
Gary
Pittsburgh
East St. Louis
Camden

Yeah, I hope Cleveland is able to turn around its population loss, not doing the city any favors.
Out of all of those cities mentioned Pittsburgh is actually doing a good job re-inventing themselves. They really took a hit with job losses in the steel industry, and we had quite the influx of people relocating from western PA, to northeast Ohio. At any rate, as with life in general, the same goes for cities. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom, before you climb your way back to the top. Cleveland seems to be moving in a better direction.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
One party rule for too long. Loss of manufacturing jobs, though we still have some left, greedy unions, NAFTA, ect... Also stupid policies such as bussing that caused middle class folks to flee to the suburbs. The inner city neighborhoods are where the population losses continue to happen, which is going to happen when crime and poverty chases away middle class people who don't want to deal with that s***! However; downtown Cleveland's population continues to grow. It's a start. Not to mention we have a lot of start up businesses going on, and a booming medical field.

Thanks. Those of us who still live in the region are rooting for us too. I think Detroit is worse off than we are too, and it's a shame that a once great city such as Detroit has really fallen to shambles.

I think the decline is starting finally slow a bit. Will Cleveland ever max out again and return to it's 1950's population of close to 1 million residents? No. Probably not, unless Cleveland and Cuyahoga County merged as what Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville, Charlotte and Jacksonville did via annexation. But I could see with the positive direction it's heading, eventually hitting 500,000 to 600,000 residents in the city proper. One benefit to this region is sitting next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, and with Ohio getting on board with the rest of the Great Lakes States and Canada in promising not to pipe water from the Great Lakes watershed, well.... fresh water may be the next boom. So, if you want it, and plenty of it, I guess you better come to where it's abundant. Because we ain't sharing it!

Out of all of those cities mentioned Pittsburgh is actually doing a good job re-inventing themselves. They really took a hit with job losses in the steel industry, and we had quite the influx of people relocating from western PA, to northeast Ohio. At any rate, as with life in general, the same goes for cities. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom, before you climb your way back to the top. Cleveland seems to be moving in a better direction.
Finally, a Cleveland homer who isn't bitter to discuss the actual reality out there, and address some staunch criticism of their home city. I admire that, and your ideas about Cleveland seem plausible.

I hear great things about Pittsburgh reinventing itself after a long and steep decline. They've completely diversified the economy and really built up the downtown area. It seems to me that Cleveland would probably be the closest sister city to have mirrored effects of what happened to Pittsburgh. Don't think Cleveland had the same level of steel mills, but I know they had some, and still a large blue collar manufacturing workforce.

I still like to root for cities like Cleveland, I'm a midwesterner born and raised, and Cleveland isn't too far from home for me. I'm from a smaller has been rust belt city, so I have an idea of what it's like to see a city trying to claim a new identity and diversify itself.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Finally, a Cleveland homer who isn't bitter to discuss the actual reality out there, and address some staunch criticism of their home city. I admire that, and your ideas about Cleveland seem plausible.

I hear great things about Pittsburgh reinventing itself after a long and steep decline. They've completely diversified the economy and really built up the downtown area. It seems to me that Cleveland would probably be the closest sister city to have mirrored effects of what happened to Pittsburgh. Don't think Cleveland had the same level of steel mills, but I know they had some, and still a large blue collar manufacturing workforce.

I still like to root for cities like Cleveland, I'm a midwesterner born and raised, and Cleveland isn't too far from home for me. I'm from a smaller has been rust belt city, so I have an idea of what it's like to see a city trying to claim a new identity and diversify itself.

I am a homer yes. But I will be the first to criticize when it's warranted. Why? Because I want to see my region reach the potential that it's capable of reaching, and what we're known for being a bunch of hardworking folks. There is some truth in what Lebron said in his letter when he stated "in northeast Ohio, nothing is given, everything is earned!" What I can't stand is when people perceive the region, and cling to that stigma, no matter what facts about the positives here, and what the city has to offer, and still hold the attitude like "yeah well you still suck anyway!" There are really a lot of good things happening here, and yes we still have a ways to go, but the future is looking brighter.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM

The biggest factor that caused Cleveland's decline was factories moving overseas. Period. It created a decline in all major American manufacturing cities, not just Cleveland. It was not the Unions or the Dems, it was disinvestment when factories realized that they could pay workers $4 an hour in China and other developing countries.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post

To get to the point, I was wondering. What do people from other cities think about Cleveland?

I'm from Pittsburgh, I see Cleveland as a poor-man's Youngstown- struggling but never quite attaining the status of the city just to their south east.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Just to add a bit of humor. The rest of the country knows what's happening here and seems to be supportive. I was watching "Hot In Cleveland" tonight and there was a little animation over the opening credits of an airplane carrying a banner that said "Welcome Back LeBron."

That was kind of a nice homage to something positive happening in our city.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm from Pittsburgh, I see Cleveland as a poor-man's Youngstown- struggling but never quite attaining the status of the city just to their south east.
OMG, that's too funny, I laughed out loud at this. Cleveland's a poor man's Youngstown, and will never achieve its status? That is such a good joke! And it's funny because it's so far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events