Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Rejoice Clevelanders rejoice.... Johnny Football is not the biggest sports star anymore.... your boy is BACK!

LeBron James announces return to Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA - SI.com

Lebron coming back is BIG indeed. However; Cleveland is still a football town first. At any rate, with the Indians hanging around, the Browns doing well in the draft, and the Cavs getting Lebron back, and the number 1 pick in the NBA lottery, it is going to be an interesting period of Cleveland sports. It would be nice for all 3 teams here to have success at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 PM

493 posts, read 640,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Key to cities; especially those trying to revitalize rundown areas...avoid areas that include the word Heights.
Moderator cut: rude remarks None of the Heights neighborhoods in Cleveland are bad. They are good suburbs. I would type up a page telling you specifically about each and every one (Like I just did for the past HOUR) but apparently I had too many characters (300,000+) for the 50,000 limit. So that's an hour I'm never getting back.

Last edited by Marka; 07-19-2014 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,910,560 times
Been there once. The suburbs seem like generic American suburbs and the city like a typical industrial City that was in it's prime 40 years ago. I did have fun going out in the party district (can't remember the name). Overall, it's better than Detroit, not as nice as Baltimore (that's a low bar, btw).

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
Big party in Cleveland today. Wonder what they're celebrating?? LOL. Congratulations, Cavs.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
None of the Heights neighborhoods in Cleveland are bad. They are good suburbs. I would type up a page telling you specifically about each and every one (Like I just did for the past HOUR) but apparently I had too many characters (300,000+) for the 50,000 limit. So that's an hour I'm never getting back.
If you're going to start a thread like this, you need to not get so angry and defensive when you don't like what you read.

Last edited by Marka; 07-19-2014 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Hey, OP asked for outsiders' perceptions of the city. He or she didn't ask just for the good stuff. People are answering appropriately. Don't attack people because you don't like their opinion which was asked for.

As I said, you're free to give an opinion, I'm free to give mine too, and offer rebuttal as to why the silly stereotypes aren't true. Perception doesn't mean fact.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,205,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
The Flats hasn't been around since the 90's so... yeah.

If you drive through the bad areas then it really doesn't make a difference. It's not like people go shooting at cars and traffic. People already drive through those areas to get to work and stuff a lot faster.

As for the convention, we don't care if other cities forget that we hosted it the day after the convention is over. All we care about is that the convention will bring a lot of national attention to Cleveland, along with a lot of money, especially because it's the Republican convention.
It is great you have the right perspective. I believe St. Paul had the same perspective...appreciate it for that attention and the $$ when it happens and then move on to other things. I am sure the immediate region will have some recollection for a few months. As to the GOP comment, I understand. There has been a pattern of the political parties going to cities that generally support the other party recently. The Democrats went to Charlotte, NC in 2012.

Maybe put in a bid for the Super Bowl next. It was played at an outdoor cold weather stadium last year. They are booked through at least 2018 though. Minneapolis got awarded the 2018 SB.

I am not too surprised to hear about the Flats being gone as it was back in the mid 70's to 80's that my friends lived there. Thanks for the info. I would probably just go to establishments closest to the Rock Hall of Fame then.

BTW, anyone from any city that does similar threads will also get some negative comments about their city, too with maybe a few exceptions. You have to expect that will happen and of course there will always be the ones that are exaggerated/over the top that you have the right to correct. You have also received compliments for the city. I believe my post was one of the more balanced ones. Plus I said there are actually two attractions I would like to visit some day there. I would call that respectful.

Congrats on landing the 2016 RNC!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-11-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As I said, you're free to give an opinion, I'm free to give mine too, and offer rebuttal as to why the silly stereotypes aren't true. Perception doesn't mean fact.
Saying things like "So save it for someone who gives a s***!" isn't offering rebuttal.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Lebron coming back is BIG indeed. However; Cleveland is still a football town first. At any rate, with the Indians hanging around, the Browns doing well in the draft, and the Cavs getting Lebron back, and the number 1 pick in the NBA lottery, it is going to be an interesting period of Cleveland sports. It would be nice for all 3 teams here to have success at the same time.
You guys got one of the best quarterbacks in college football in Connor Shaw. Led the Gamecocks to finish #4 in the country and only threw ONE interception. He's a beast.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It is great you have the right perspective. I believe St. Paul had the same perspective...appreciate it for that attention and the $$ when it happens and then move on to other things. I am sure the immediate region will have some recollection for a few months. As to the GOP comment, I understand. There has been a pattern of the political parties going to cities that generally support the other party recently. The Democrats went to Charlotte, NC in 2012.

Maybe put in a bid for the Super Bowl next. It was played at an outdoor cold weather stadium last year. They are booked through at least 2018 though. Minneapolis got awarded the 2018 SB.

I am not too surprised to hear about the Flats being gone as it was back in the mid 70's to 80's that my friends lived there. Thanks for the info. I would probably just go to establishments closest to the Rock Hall of Fame then.

BTW, anyone from any city that does similar threads will also get some negative comments about their city, too with maybe a few exceptions. You have to expect that will happen and of course there will always be the ones that are exaggerated/over the top that you have the right to correct. You have also received compliments for the city. I believe my post was one of the more balanced ones. Plus I said there are actually two attractions I would like to visit some day there. I would call that respectful. How much does Drew Carey charge for an autograph?...Just kidding.

I'd love to see a Super Bowl played in an outdoor stadium in a cold weather city like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Green Bay or Chicago. Like I said, football is a game of elements. I've been to Browns games where it was close to 90 degrees... like in 2002 against Kansas City where Dwayne Rudds helmet toss was a costly penalty that cost them the game due to putting Morten Anderson in range for a chip shot field goal. It was so damn hot that day, I stopped drinking beer, and was drinking water, and pooring it over my head to cool down. Then on the other hand there was the final game in 1999 vs the Colts where the snow was flying, and the wind was blowing and it was barely 20 degrees.

Seeing the demise of The Flats was sad, because I spent a lot of times partying down there in the early 90s, and was there during Cleveland's Bicentennial in 1996, and it was just a sea of people. You had to park up top and walk down the hill because the whole area was blocked off to pedestrian traffic. I can't wait to see what the area looks like when fully revitalized. It won't be the same, but it will be something new, and at least it won't be a ghost town like it was throughout the 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events