Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
The guy was wearing an Indian's hat so... yeah.
Of course he was. Just remembered that, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Even further, 49 (FORTY-NINE!) television series are currently being shot in Metro Atlanta, including 25 scripted (non-reality) shows.

Georgia is far and away the largest TV and film production center in the country, outside of New York and Los Angeles. No other state comes close. Ohio isn't even on the radar.

What TV shows are being shot in metro Atlanta as of March 2014? | Radio and TV Talk
No need to pull out a ruler. Yours is longer. We get it.

My point was that film/TV production is not a differentiator for Cleveland.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No need to pull out a ruler. Yours is longer. We get it.

My point was that film/TV production is not a differentiator for Cleveland.
You got that right. Which makes the OP's claim that Cleveland is the "new Hollywood" all the more laughable.

Liike I said, Atlanta really is the "new Hollywood" -- and people here in Georgia generally turn their noses up to that designation. It's not exactly flattering, even if the amount of film and TV production supports the claim.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
You got that right. Which makes the OP's claim that Cleveland is the "new Hollywood" all the more laughable.

Liike I said, Atlanta really is the "new Hollywood" -- and people here in Georgia generally turn their noses up to that designation. It's not exactly flattering, even if the amount of film and TV production supports the claim.
I love how you clown Cleveland Hollywood guy, then turn around and claim Atlanta is the new Hollywood because they film a bunch of low budget reality shows there. You sound as foolish as he does.

Your evidence is an AJC article with a list of tv shows that are 90% throwaway shows. "Love & Hip Hop Atlanta" and "T.I. and Tiny" have the economic impact of a Boost Mobile store.

When Young and the Restless or the Tonight Show start relocating, then, maybe. But grandstanding on the filming of BET's Comicview and claiming the new Hollywood makes you sound as ridiculous as Cleveland guy.

If there was a "new Hollywood" - and there really is not - it has been for a while, and continues to be, Canada.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 07-10-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I love how you clown Cleveland Hollywood guy, then turn around and claim Atlanta is the new Hollywood because they film a bunch of low budget reality shows there. You sound as foolish as he does.

Your evidence is an AJC article with a list of tv shows that are 90% throwaway shows. "Love & Hip Hop Atlanta" and "T.I. and Tiny" have the economic impact of a Boost Mobile store.

When Young and the Restless or the Tonight Show start relocating, then, maybe. But grandstanding on the filming of BET's Comicview and claiming the new Hollywood makes you sound as ridiculous as Cleveland guy.
THE WALKING DEAD -- The No. 1 rated show in the HISTORY of cable television -- is produced ENITIRELY in Metro Atlanta.

FAMILY FUED -- the No. 3 rated game show in America, is shot entirely in Atlanta.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, DEVIOUS MAIDS, and FX's "ARCHER" -- among countless Cartoon Network programs -- are produced entirely in ATLANTA.

Click on my link. Outside of New York and Los Angleses, Atlanta is far and away the No. 3 entertainment center in the US -- and has been for some time.

Next?

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-10-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Even further, 49 (FORTY-NINE!) television series are currently being shot in Metro Atlanta, including 25 scripted (non-reality) shows.

Georgia is far and away the largest TV and film production center in the country, outside of New York and Los Angeles. No other state comes close. Ohio isn't even on the radar.

[b][color="Red"]What TV shows are being shot in metro Atlanta as of March 2014?
“The Walking Dead” is one of at least 47 active Atlanta-based TV productions and the most popular of them all.

UPCOMING NEW SHOWS

-- MTV’s “Finding Carter” (a scripted drama in first season production in Atlanta)

-- TruTV “The Carbonaro Effect” (a comedic magic reality show in production for first season)

-- USA’s “Satisfaction” starring Matthew Passmore and led by a creator of “Nip/Tuck,” will air July 17

-- Starz’ “Survivor’s Remorse” produced partly by LeBron James (half-hour comedy set to debut later this year, production starting soon)

-- AMC’s “Halt and Catch Fire” (new drama debuting June 1)

-- VH1′s “Atlanta Exes” (reality show with first season to debut sometime this summer)

-- OWN’s “Single Mom Club” (scripted new dramedy series forthcoming later this year)

-- Destination America “Hillbilly Preppers” (first season shooting April 5)

EXISTING SHOWS

-- ABC’s “Resurrection” (first season airing now)

-- Nina Dobrev has starred in ‘The Vampire Diaries,” shot locally, since 2009. CREDIT: Getty Imges

-- The CW’s “The Vampire Diaries” (fifth season airing)

-- The CW’s “The Originals,” a spinoff of “The Vampire Diaries.” (first season airing)

-- Bounce TV’s “Off the Chain” (second season airing check)

-- VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta” (third season set to debut this summer)

-- VH1’s “Single Ladies” (third season airing now)

-- VH1’s “T.I. and Tiny” (fourth season starts March 31)

-- TV One’s “R&B Divas Atlanta” (third season forthcoming)

-- TV One’s “Rickey Smiley Show’ (third season still pending but not solidified)

-- BET’s “Comic View” (produced, spring launch set)

-- BET’s “The Game” (seventh season airing)

-- BET’s “Let’s Stay Together” (fourth season airing)

-- BET’s “Being Mary Jane” (second season forthcoming)

-- BET’s “Sunday Best” (seventh season forthcoming)

-- USA’s “Chrisley Knows Best” (first seaon debuted March 11)

-- OWN’s “The Haves and the Have Nots” (first season airing)

-- OWN”s “Love Thy Neighbor” (first season airing)

-- OWN’s “For Better or Worse” (third season airing now

-- OWN’s “Tyler Perry Talk Show” (recently debuted as a weekly program)

-- “Drop Dead Diva” is currently producing its sixth and final season in Peachtree City. CREDIT: Lifetime

-- Lifetime’s “Drop Dead Diva” (final sixth season taping now, will return March 23).

-- Lifetime’s “Devious Maids” (second season taping now for summer return)

-- Lifetime’s “Kim of Queens” (first season airing now)

-- AMC’s “The Walking Dead” (fourth season in production, will begin airing in October 19 at 9 p.m.)

-- Syndicated “Family Feud” (fifth season with Steve Harvey just wrapped taping, with new episodes returning next month on CW 69 and 7 and 11:30 p.m. weekdays)

-- Syndicated “Dish Nation,” which includes Rickey Smiley (third season airing)

-- Sundance’s “Rectify” (second season returning June 19)

-- “The Red Road,” shot in Atlanta, includes Jason Momoa and his wife Lisa Bonet. CREDIT: Getty Images

-- Sundance’s “The Red Road” (first season airing now)

-- Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” (sixth season airing now)

-- Bravo’s “Married to Medicine” (second season returning April 6)

-- Bravo’s “Don’t Be Tardy” (word is a new season is being planned though nothing has been confirmed by Bravo)

-- FX’s “Archer” (fifth season airing now, sixth and seventh seasons assured)

-- FXX’s “Chozen” (some of the production is done here in Atlanta, first season airing)

-- Adult Swim’s “Aqua TV Show Show” (tenth season concluded)

-- Adult Swim’s “Squidbillies” (eighth season concluded)

-- Adult Swim’s “Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell.” (first season aired last year. Second season renewal announced March 20, 2014.)

-- TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta” (almost finished taping season 7 with a start date in June. Season 8 assured)

-- HGTV’s “Elbow Room” (second season set to go for airing in April, 2014)

-- Egypt Sherrod is host of “Property Virgins,” an HGTV show shot in Atlanta. CREDIT: Getty Imgaes

-- HGTV’s “Property Virgins” (third season shot in Atlanta hosted by Egypt Sherrod airing with a debut set for August.)

-- HGTV’s “Property Brothers” (sixth season debuting March 12, the first one done in Atlanta)

-- HGTV’s “Buying and Selling” (first season to be shot in Atlanta also featuring the Scott brothers like “Property Brothers,” no date set yet)

-- DIY’s “Mega Dens” (fifth season set for debut April 27)

Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 PM

C'mon. Posting the whole list is completely unnecessary (and possibly a violation of TOC, IIRC). People can click the link if they're interested. But this isn't about Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
How I see it: A once-great city that fell on hard times and is successfully struggling back - unfortunately still too poor to be a much of a magnet for the young and ambitious, but it has potential and a lot of history.

I lived in CLE for 13 years.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
C'mon. Posting the whole list is completely unnecessary (and possibly a violation of TOC, IIRC). People can click the link if they're interested. But this isn't about Atlanta.
I was only illustrating my point. Anybody who thinks Cleveland is the new "Hollywood" is truly delusional.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,972 times
I have heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and would think that would be the signature attraction for most visitors to the city. It would be nice to combine the R & R Hall of Fame with the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton on a trip some day. They are only an hour apart if I am not mistaken. I would probably explore the Cuyahoga Valley recreation area for a few hours, too. It would not be a place to live for me, but not having any family, friends or relatives in that area would be the main reason along with having to adapt to chilly winters.

I am guessing I would like the down to earth, unpretentious people there. At least that is what I have heard. I have two friends here in California that grew up in Cleveland. While they have not considered ever moving back, they have shared some good things about the town. They have told me there is an area of bars near the harbor where the ships are called The Flats. I would definitely check that out. Is it still popular?

The rundown areas would not bother me too much on a short trip as I know I will not be there very long. I would definitely research ahead of time to avoid the worst areas (good advice in any large or medium size city).

As to what the Convention will do for Cleveland's image and recognition: it will be limited to the region IMO. St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC. Only remember that because I grew up in MN until age 12. I doubt too many people around the country remember. However, I'll bet people in the upper Midwest region probably do. So the impact will probably be more regional than national about a year after it is over. It will be remembered in the bordering states, but probably not beyond that. Ohio and maybe Indiana, Illinois, western Pennsylvania, western New York, Kentucky and that is about it.

For proof, how many posters remember that St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC? It is still great that they picked your city and people should be proud.

You would have to host a Super Bowl like Indianapolis did to get recognition beyond the region. Funny. Hosting the Super Bowl provides greater recognition to a city than a convention process that helps decide our next President. It is what it is. LOL!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-11-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events