Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
And yet you are still insecure. But seriously, the center of the universe is Cleveland? OMFG I nearly choked on my drink when I read that. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. It sounded like you were serious too? You single handedly are doing more to reinforce the stereotypes than anything anyone could post. The Cleveland Tourism Board called and asked me to stop communicating with you before they lose what little ground they have gained since the '70's. West Virginia and the Dakotas thank you

Reinforcing stereotypes for having pride in my region? Are you f***n' kidding me? Folks from much larger markets brag and thump their chest all the time about how great they are.... LA this, New York that, blah blah blah! Yet because I'm from some mid-sized market (an old rust belt/midwestern town)and want to show a little civic pride in my region, that's bad, because you folks are soooo above us? It just kills folks like you that other cities that are projected to be s***holes actually have success, and good things going on! Seems to me you're a bit insecure there yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM

624 posts, read 763,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Rejoice Clevelanders rejoice.... Johnny Football is not the biggest sports star anymore.... your boy is BACK!

LeBron James announces return to Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA - SI.com
This is better news than CLE snagging the RNC.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
This is better news than CLE snagging the RNC.

Downtown will be partying tonight.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Reinforcing stereotypes for having pride in my region? Are you f***n' kidding me? Folks from much larger markets brag and thump their chest all the time about how great they are.... LA this, New York that, blah blah blah! Yet because I'm from some mid-sized market (an old rust belt/midwestern town)and want to show a little civic pride in my region, that's bad, because you folks are soooo above us? It just kills folks like you that other cities that are projected to be s***holes actually have success, and good things going on! Seems to me you're a bit insecure there yourself.
No one from LA brags about living in LA. Hollywood, Pacific Palisades, Hancock Park, Brentwood maybe. LA? No.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,794 times
Quote:
What facts? You and the other naysayers provided perception. I've at least provided facts about the improvements going on in the region, the positive vibe that is happening here right now, to counter your perceptions! So you're offering nothing more than an opinion, which is the same played out BS "ERRR UMM.... DUH CLEVELAND IS BORING! DUH!!!! THE BROWNS ARE BORING, ERRR UMMM!!! Why not just throw out the over used, and even more played out reference to the river catching fire, since we're playing into stereotypes? You gave your opinion, I countered with facts about the region. BTW, just because the OP asked for an outsider's perception of Cleveland, doesn't mean an insider can't comment, or can't feel compelled to shut down silly little stereotypes, when we're the ones living here and know they're not true! You just don't want to hear the facts, because it doesn't play into your ASSumption about the region.
FYI ... You're not serving as a great example of the people of Cleveland.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
How do people from different cities look at Cleveland?

Honestly? They probably don't think about Cleveland at all. And not because it's Cleveland but because other than wherever they live or have lived, or "big name" cities, most people don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about other, mid-sized cities one way or another. If they have to travel there (any random city) for some reason, then they might think about it, but other than that - probably not. It's not an insult, it just is.

What do you think about....Topeka? Austin? Boise? Long Beach? Fresno....and so on.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,087,067 times
Quote:
To answer the original question, I think of Cleveland as a stagnant mid-sized city with weather I couldn't handle for much of the year.

Does that mean the city "sucks"? No. It's never a bad thing to have pride in one's city or region. That's great. However just because someone thinks highly of their area doesn't at all mean other people should feel the same. If someone isn't a native of a city, there has to be things that stand out to that visitor to make it worth remembering. Cleveland doesn't really have that. I've known a couple people from the area that have moved and they say they "love their home" but that doesn't mean they love Cleveland.

Some people happen to be from places with outwardly impressive qualities. LA, NYC, Chicago, San Diego, Miami, Seattle, Boston, etc. All of those cities have places that are crummy and that no one would ever want to venture into, but they're more of a destination type of place for transients or visitors, therefore have a better "reputation". Those are cities with memorable things (good weather, attractions, restaurants, history, etc) may stand out to non-natives but that doesn't mean a person from...say...Cleveland can't love their city equally as much as locals from anywhere else love theirs. Just don't expect anyone else to put it on a pedestal.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
I think you're right, maciesmom. I read this thread because I don't really have an opinion on Cleveland and wondered what others thought of it.

The first time I ever formed any thoughts about Cleveland was (I think) during the '86 playoffs with Denver. It came from the Dogpound throwing dog biscuits at my team when they were near the end zone. I thought, "what jerks!" But I realized you can't judge a whole city or even a team's fans on the behavior of a handful of people in the end zone. That was reinforced the following year(?) when I ran into some Browns fans checking into their hotel rooms in Denver. They seemed like genuinely nice people. No more prejudice against Browns fans.

I generally dislike the best of large cities. I moved to Wyoming from Alaska (2nd least populated state to the least populated) because Anchorage was getting too large at 75K population (1970), so I'm not likely to feel warm and fuzzy about any large city, but my feelings about Cleveland are fairly neutral. I've always thought of it as more of a blue-collar factory city than Cincinnati. Why, I'm not sure as I've never been to Cincinnati, and I've only been past Cleveland a few times on I-90 and flown over it a couple times in my small plane.

I am glad to see that LaBron is returning. Overall I like the midwest. I was raised in Iowa and believe midwesterners are the best folks anywhere.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM

493 posts, read 640,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Been there once. The suburbs seem like generic American suburbs and the city like a typical industrial City that was in it's prime 40 years ago. I did have fun going out in the party district (can't remember the name). Overall, it's better than Detroit, not as nice as Baltimore (that's a low bar, btw).
The inner east suburbs aren't exactly "genuine" suburbs. Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are a unique type of suburb. Million dollar 100+ year old 8000+ square foot mansions on tree lined brick streets, along with old entertainment streets with new 5 star restaurants and bars and clubs. They are 100% unique. The rest of the suburbs are pretty much like any other suburb, but each has something unique.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM

493 posts, read 640,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you're going to start a thread like this, you need to not get so angry and defensive when you don't like what you read.

I'm just angry that I spent over an hour typing you up a page worth of information, then being told that I wrote over 250,000 more characters than I'm allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events