Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM

5,513 posts, read 9,506,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Reading comprehension? The other poster said last month. I hardly think it was cold and snowy in June.
Not if you believe some of the Cleveland haters. (no one in this thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,406,766 times
Cleveland is always on the list of top 5 or top 10 most racially segregated cities in this country. So I don't have a very high opinion of the city. To me, Cleveland has always felt a bit downtrodden and melancholy, compared to the West coast.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Cleveland is always on the list of top 5 or top 10 most racially segregated cities in this country. So I don't have a very high opinion of the city. To me, Cleveland has always felt a bit downtrodden and melancholy, compared to the West coast.
Could you provide links to those lists please? It isn't that I am disputing your claim, I just moved to Cleveland and I see more racial diversity in the neighborhoods in which I travel than in the last two cities I lived in. Much more. I would be curious to see the status you are referring to.

I never found the West Coast particularly joyful but to each his or her own.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM

493 posts, read 640,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Yes Cleveland does have all black neighborhoods and all white neighborhoods, but there are no cities that are exactly 33% White, 33% Black and 33% Asian.

In Cleveland, there is a neighborhood called Bratenahl. It is a rich multi million dollar lake front neighborhood with huge historic 100+ year old mansions that is about 2 miles from downtown. Bratenahl is about 80% white, so it technically is multi cultural because there are also African Americans and Asians and small amounts of others. Believe it or not, this neighborhood is surrounded by an all African American neighborhood with high poverty, high crime rates, low house values and abandoned buildings.

Most of the suburbs in Cleveland (Especially on the east side) are multi racial. Solon for example is an affluent suburb southeast of Cleveland. Solon is about 80% white, 10% African American, 10% Asian and some others. Solon has a large Jewish population, a large Hindu population, a large Buddhist population and a large Christian population. +Solon already has an Orthodox Synagogue, a Jewish Temple and School, an Indian Cultural center that is being built right now, and a number of Churches. Beachwood is another suburb on the east side that has the second largest densest Jewish population outside of Israel. The first is in New York City. Borough Park I believe.

Cleveland is probably one of the most culturally diverse neighborhoods in the U.S.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 AM

898 posts, read 1,220,416 times
i am a typical ignorant american living in new york city. i see cleveland as a place that needs lebron and that drew carey guy singing "cleveland rocks" to his sitcom. that's about it. oh one more thing. ppl. burn jerseys for internet fame there when they don't like an athlete.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
I was discussing this topic with some native born Cleveland friends of mine and asked how Cleveland got a negative reputation. They said they believed it was because many comedians came from Cleveland and made the city the object of their jokes in their standup routines. They also pointed out that for every goofy thing that has happened here, the same thing has happened in other cities such as rivers catching fire and do forth.

So began Cleveland's somewhat less than stellar reputation as a city that hasn't been taken seriously at least in their opinion.

My philosophy is that passing judgement without actually seeing a place or spending time traveling about in that place is just plain ignorant. If someone bases their opinion good or bad on any city by hearsay or rumored reputation only, it just shows they don't have the brains to think for themselves.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
When I went to meet my then-boyfriend's family in Pittsburgh, his mother bought us Continental Airline tickets to Cleveland and we rented a car and drove the rest of the way to Pittsburgh. That's the only time I was there, and I only saw the airport and driving out of the city. My main memory at the time was that it was the around the time that Cleveland was listed as the #1 city to live in by the magazine that does those lists (it was 1994, but the list could have been from the year or two before). I don't know why that stuck in my head, but I often have weird name associations. One thing I can say is that the Ohio Turnpike was nice, and it had an interesting building with rest stop/gas station/fast food restaurant and an identical building on the opposite side of the turnpike. I don't know why that seemed odd to me, but a few years later I saw exactly the same setup on the motorway in England.

Oh, and the Hall of Fame museums are there. I like the pictures I see with the river running through the city. I don't think I could live there simply because I don't like the cold. I'm from Houston, and while I'm not super thrilled about our hot summers, I'm used to them and I can handle the heat better than the inconvenience of shoveling snow or getting snow tires, etc.

Last edited by katygirl68; 07-21-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,951,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was discussing this topic with some native born Cleveland friends of mine and asked how Cleveland got a negative reputation. They said they believed it was because many comedians came from Cleveland and made the city the object of their jokes in their standup routines. They also pointed out that for every goofy thing that has happened here, the same thing has happened in other cities such as rivers catching fire and do forth.

So began Cleveland's somewhat less than stellar reputation as a city that hasn't been taken seriously at least in their opinion.

My philosophy is that passing judgement without actually seeing a place or spending time traveling about in that place is just plain ignorant. If someone bases their opinion good or bad on any city by hearsay or rumored reputation only, it just shows they don't have the brains to think for themselves.
I have never, ever heard of a River catching fire in any other city besides Cleveland. That is not something that just happens everyday.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The biggest factor that caused Cleveland's decline was factories moving overseas. Period. It created a decline in all major American manufacturing cities, not just Cleveland. It was not the Unions or the Dems, it was disinvestment when factories realized that they could pay workers $4 an hour in China and other developing countries.
I think you probably meant $4 a day.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,135,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I have never, ever heard of a River catching fire in any other city besides Cleveland. That is not something that just happens everyday.
Here's a book about fires that happened on rivers in 4 cities: Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, and Cleveland

Burning Rivers: Revival of Four Urban Industrial Rivers That Caught Fire (Ecovision World Monograph Series): John H. Hartig, Mohiuddin Munawar, John D. Dingell, Alfred M. Beeton: 9781907132162: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events