Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times

Advertisements

I don't know of anyone thAt gives it any thought. The Dawg pound is pretty cool, but other than that it's a non issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm from Pittsburgh, I see Cleveland as a poor-man's Youngstown- struggling but never quite attaining the status of the city just to their south east.

Hmmm a poor man's Youngstown???? I seem to remember that when Pittsburgh's steel industry declined that a lot of folks from western PA relocated to northeast Ohio for jobs. Make no mistake, Pittsburgh has done a good job reinventing themselves as of late, but they aren't necessarily growing by leaps and bounds in terms of people flocking back to the city either. However; both cities I believe are heading in the right direction. By no means are they dead and buried.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm from Pittsburgh, I see Cleveland as a poor-man's Youngstown- struggling but never quite attaining the status of the city just to their south east.
Is this really what you meant to write?

I really enjoy living in Youngstown, but we're still behind Cleveland in terms of revitalization. Cleveland is also behind Pittsburgh in its revitalization, but Cleveland is hot on Pittsburgh's trail. The biggest difference between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, IMO, is their reputation--or lack thereof.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
A poor man's Youngstown is a kick in the balls. Cleveland is in a lot better shape than Youngstown, pay no attention to this person clamoring for attention. A Pittsburgh homer trying to start crap with Cleveland.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
A poor man's Youngstown is a kick in the balls. Cleveland is in a lot better shape than Youngstown, pay no attention to this person clamoring for attention. A Pittsburgh homer trying to start crap with Cleveland.

No question about that.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
My coworkers tend to have a negative to indifferent impression of Cleveland. It's just not on their radar besides Lebron

Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
I used to live in the Pittsburgh area (nine years in the North Hills). I've been through Youngstown many times to get to greater Cleveland, and I always thought Youngstown was a poor man's Cleveland. Kind of. Lots smaller, but same industrial history. Unfortunately Youngstown, which would be such a nice city, is economically depressed way beyond CLE or PGH.

I, too, am a Pittsburgh homer---I've just never felt all that comfy in Cleveland, mainly owing to who takes me on car rides there---but all three areas are what they are. Cleveland is trying to revitalize, and having some recent successes. Pittsburgh has the medical thing going on (actually Cleveland, too), and the Youngstown area bi-state seems to somehow be OK with living in the shadow of the Steeler Nation on the PA side, and the Dawg Pound in YNG itself.

I do hear YSU is nice, though.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:11 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
As you've probably heard, Cleveland is to host the 2016 RNC Convention. As a Clevelander, I along with all of Northeast Ohio have been sitting on the edge of our seats and have been waiting for the announcement, and were excited when they announced it today. I have always lived in Cleveland and have seen Cleveland's worse times, but today is an example that Cleveland is going to be a great city in the near future.

As of today, Cleveland is a great city as it is. Now, there are some run down areas in Cleveland that no one would want to step foot in. These neighborhoods are run down with abandoned houses and buildings, crime, gangs, guns, violence, and in some areas prostitutes. These areas are in some areas about 4-5 miles east of downtown. Fortunately, there have been extensive projects started by groups such as Cleveland 2019 (A group that is fixing Cleveland to be the best by 2019) along with the city of Cleveland and private investors, that have been fixing up these run down areas by flipping houses and building new houses and opening restaurants.

The rest of Cleveland is mostly a great place to go. Cleveland is a city that has big neighborhoods within the city limits, and suburb surrounding the city. There are places in Cleveland like South Broadway and Cleveland Heights and Beachwood that attract a lot of people because of how many bars and restaurants there are there. Cleveland also has the world famous Rockefeller Park, which attracts thousands of people each year to it's lush trees and it's amazing cultural gardens.

To get to the point, I was wondering. What do people from other cities think about Cleveland?
Was there for the first time last month... my thoughts:

1. Working city.
2. Nice people.
3. Lot of construction.
4. Nice views from different areas.
5. Cheap food and everything else (compared to DC).

With that said, I think Cleveland is a city that I don't hate but don't love either. It "just is". That is not a bad or good thing... nothing "special" I could find about the city. I did not leave there and think "I should or even need to return". But not a place I would avoid or not want to return.

I'll end with: I thought the people were extremely nice. Reminded me of a small southern town... "working" towns seem to be like that.

**my limited thoughts from a stay of two days**

Old 07-20-2014, 01:55 AM

493 posts, read 639,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Was there for the first time last month... my thoughts:

1. Working city.
2. Nice people.
3. Lot of construction.
4. Nice views from different areas.
5. Cheap food and everything else (compared to DC).

With that said, I think Cleveland is a city that I don't hate but don't love either. It "just is". That is not a bad or good thing... nothing "special" I could find about the city. I did not leave there and think "I should or even need to return". But not a place I would avoid or not want to return.

I'll end with: I thought the people were extremely nice. Reminded me of a small southern town... "working" towns seem to be like that.

**my limited thoughts from a stay of two days**
2 days huh? I've got a couple of questions.

1. When was this?
2. How was the weather?
3. Did you do anything exciting?

If you answered 10 years ago, cold, snowy and cloudy, and you stayed with family in the suburbs, then you definitely haven't seen Cleveland. The next time you come to Cleveland, make sure you stay longer, stay out of the suburbs (Except for Chagrin Falls, Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights and Beachwood) and go to one of our museums or something. Also, go downtown. Downtown is the most important place in Cleveland. Next time you come to Cleveland, have fun.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
2 days huh? I've got a couple of questions.

1. When was this?
2. How was the weather?
3. Did you do anything exciting?

If you answered 10 years ago, cold, snowy and cloudy, and you stayed with family in the suburbs, then you definitely haven't seen Cleveland.
Reading comprehension? The other poster said last month. I hardly think it was cold and snowy in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events