Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
My wooded house been standing for over 100 years, still standing. Dont seemed to ever had a roof collapses.
I didn't hear of any collapsing residential roofs, but tons and tons and tons of leaks and the resulting water damage.

Ice dams were awful. I have a brand new house and I'm a half mile from the water, so I did not suffer - but my parents up north had some really bad leaks, and wound up spending a fortune to have their roof cleared off.

Lots of friends had bad leaks too.

Awful winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I didn't hear of any collapsing residential roofs, but tons and tons and tons of leaks and the resulting water damage.

Ice dams were awful. I have a brand new house and I'm a half mile from the water, so I did not suffer - but my parents up north had some really bad leaks, and wound up spending a fortune to have their roof cleared off.

Awful winter...
No leaks here

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
There have been a number of recent posts here that are insulting or flaming. They have been deleted. Please stick to the topic of this thread or infractions will be issued. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Looks like the next few days, while no "sensible weather" (that's actually the term the NWS uses for anything other than a simply clear or cloudy sky), are going to be pretty cold for what is on the cusp of April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thunder Sleet in NJ. Thunder Sleet! - CNN iReport

CNN producer note

myfandoms recorded this footage of an unusual weather event: Thunder and sleet at the same time. The video was shot from her back porch in Grand Meadows, NJ. "I know thunder snow isn't all that common, and I have never experienced thunder hail, so I figured it had to be pretty unusual."
- jmsaba, CNN iReport producer
The first winter of the 5 years I lived in the Albany, NY area a little over 20 years ago, I saw "thundersnow" for the first time and the "natives" told me it happens up there at least once most winters. I imagine same deal in Buffalo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Anyone travelling south this weekend??? Keep an eye on the forecast down there meaning between I-64 Virginia & I-70 Baltimore along the coast and Eastward.... They could pick up snow this weekend but shouldnt stick to roads though..
Would be interesting in that the Baltimore-Washington area is the one part of the Northeast that has had BELOW normal snow this winter (unlike last year when they had the record snow and from about Hartford on east and north was below).

Here's an interesting story about another place (Denver) that normally gets more snow than us (and is famous for getting it as early as September and as late as May....with bigger temperature swings than here) having a historic "snow drought" this year (I guess what goes around comes around):

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/47470/another-winter-storm-will-thre.asp (broken link)

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 03-25-2011 at 03:55 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

Awful winter...
This is one particularly bad collapse in Glastonbury

Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:

Awful winter...
I know of a few residential roofs collapsing. We were lucky though, my dh kept the roof cleared. But I don't know if the snow around our house is ever going to melt, it's almost April and we still have 2' of snow in some shady areas.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I know of a few residential roofs collapsing. We were lucky though, my dh kept the roof cleared. But I don't know if the snow around our house is ever going to melt, it's almost April and we still have 2' of snow in some shady areas.
Man you must be living up in the HILLS

Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Good morning folks - No weather events to talk about... Just sunny and dry next several days in our state... Sunday night will be the coldest in the 20's and real feel will be in the teens. But generally 40s during day and 30's at night. Virginia will see near 70 next week so its close.. After April 4th we'll have more seasonable temps (50s-60s)... Enjoy the weekend.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That truly is amazing. We lost our snowcover about two and half weeks ago down on the southeast coast of CT, and Long Island had no snowcover the last days of Feb. AA might be right, are you up in the NW Hills?

I wound not fret though, even with temps a bit below normal for the next few days, we should see blazing sunshine every day with highs at least near 40 F. Then by late next week more typical temps will move into the Tri-State area with highs in the lower 50's and some rain showers. So that last 2 inches of snow in the shade shouldn't have a chance. The sun gets stronger every day.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Here's an interesting weather statistic. There is a Forum on CityData for debates: Discuss the weather aspect of it here. Do not debate or insult anyone.

Source for picture: NWS Weather Fatality, Injury and Damage Statistics

PDF File of data on damages and injuries. Not sure when they'll update: http://www.weather.gov/os/hazstats/images/70-years.pdf (broken link)

Link for property Damage is here but its 2009: Powered by Google Docs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut