Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 06:41 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
It took me one and a half hours to get into work. It normally takes 27 minutes. Has Connecticut experienced a mass immigration of people from Georgia who can't drive in this stuff? Argh. Conditions aren't even that bad. Enough snow to make the trees look nice on the drive in. Need more snow events like this, I enjoy these immensely.
I'm wondering if this is why CT districts seem to delay and close (now I see some in the area between Danbury and Waterbury, like Oxford and New Milford actually closed) a bit quicker and more often than the adjacent NY districts do. I had surprisingly no problems driving from southern Westchester to Stamford today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Lets see if this last burst coming through will get them to delay. Hoping it brings me to 1" total

6:36am radar with temps

After about 6am or so, it's really tough for a district that decided not to delay or close to suddenly do so as (especially if it's one with very early middle and high school start times, Trumbull for example start their middle and high schools at 7:20 and Stamford does for their high schools and some middle schools) buses may already be out and parents (or in the case of high schoolers, the students themselves sometimes) may already be driving to school. I think fear of lawsuits related to this is one reason why I think districts are quicker to delay or close than they did say 25-50 years ago. Going from delay to close (as New Milford did today, I remember Danbury doing it once when I worked for their school district) is a bit easier to do as there's time to make that decision after the delay is put in.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 12-14-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 07:09 AM

845 posts, read 679,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm wondering if this is why CT districts seem to delay and close (now I see some in the area between Danbury and Waterbury, like Oxford and New Milford actually closed) a bit quicker and more often than the adjacent NY districts do. I had surprisingly no problems driving from southern Westchester to Stamford today.
I've always wondered about the disparities between NY and CT so close together. I understand the differences between the shoreline towns and the interior areas of both NY and CT, but sometimes I see southern Litchfield county/northern FFC/northern New Haven county close when NY schools are still open.

I am jealous. I wish I was joking when I said I was going 10 kmh on 84 to 691. It was terrible.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Delay for 1-2 " of snow is ridiculous. Roads were perfectly fine this morning

Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
That's insane. I went to a Catholic school and we were lucky to get 1 or 2 closing a year. I don't think we ever had delays. Basically if there was a blizzard and the state shut down, we didn't have to go to school.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 AM

223 posts, read 172,239 times
Quote:
Depends on where you are- it took about a hour to commute from Middletown to Cheshire this morning. That's about double the amount of time.

Measured 1.5 inches in Middletown, sun poking out now.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
I didn't experience the snow (zero up in MA this morning) but definitely agree with this sentiment.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I didn't experience the snow (zero up in MA this morning) but definitely agree with this sentiment.
Really? I have a friend on the eastern shore and he posted a pic of heavy snow. I assumed it was this morning but maybe it was Saturday.... I didn't look at the radar beyond CT this morning.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
We had 2-3" in Wallingford, it started falling heavier right around 8-9am. The light coating and frigid temps made things pretty slick. I stayed home but heard from friends it took quite awhile to travel up/down 91 today.

Most of the roads look clear and the sun helps to melt but I'll be sure to salt the driveway to keep ice at bay tonight.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That's insane. I went to a Catholic school and we were lucky to get 1 or 2 closing a year. I don't think we ever had delays. Basically if there was a blizzard and the state shut down, we didn't have to go to school.
Ironically, nowadays private and parochial schools are much quicker to delay than public schools and often close when nearby public schools delay. Part of it is fear of lawsuits combined with not being forced by law to make sure they hit the 180 day minimum (i.e. make up snow days)....though most such schools still try to keep the minimum in spirit so that the parents dont think their kids are getting less education than their public counterparts

Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Went to Greenwich then was in Monroe & Sandy Hook this morning. Impressed at the roads. They actually salted and sanded and roads were wet even though it was 22°! No idea why Fairfield didn't salt.

Monroe got about 2" looked like. I passed through an area that looked much less like 1" or less. I think was Easton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
It took me one and a half hours to get into work. It normally takes 27 minutes. .

Oh man, this morning was ridiculous for sure. #WillNotRant #LetsForgetIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I love the MyRadar app as well

I find myself just using the online AccuRadar when not home. Why use an app when you have online access? There's probably a reason but I just click once and I'm on the link to the radar. Convenient

Quote:
Main roads yes, back roads no. This is why I wondered why they were salting. High ratio fluff type snow is more slippery than wet heavy snow. 1-2" can be slick. Also remember, not all of us live in flat areas or near main roads. Maybe if everyone had snow tires or studs we wouldn't have to delay so easily? Then again, its about kids and lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Yeah, can't wait to see who got what. Will post map soon. MA was on northern side of the precip shield so doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut