Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times

Advertisements

I remember reading a few years ago that due to the warming climate, the jet stream will be minimized, thus causing bad winters particularly in the NE US. I haven't heard anything about it since. I suppose it would be in the news if this was happening now. But our winters have indeed been particularly bad in recent years. Do you guys, (Cambium?), have any insight into this?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I remember reading a few years ago that due to the warming climate, the jet stream will be minimized, thus causing bad winters particularly in the NE US. I haven't heard anything about it since. I suppose it would be in the news if this was happening now. But our winters have indeed been particularly bad in recent years. Do you guys, (Cambium?), have any insight into this?
Due to warmer than average sea surface temperatures off the West Coast of the US and Canada, this has favored a ridge of high pressure there- continuing the trough downstream. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation is currently in the positive phase which also favors conditions leading to milder temperatures in the West with LESS precipitation than average. Amplification of this ridge often leads to a significant downstream trough in the eastern Great Lakes region and New England under this scenario with storminess and below average temperatures.

Here is an interesting read: Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) | Teleconnections | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Notice how the PDO flipped sign strongly in 2014.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I think you read that the jet stream gets amplified (wavy with dips and rises). This is so far from the truth. One just has to look at the Pacific waters warming which cause High pressure which causes the rise in the jet in the west and the dip in the east. It has ALWAYS been happening!! During cooling, during warming. The truth has been revealed that the earth has been cooling past decade + and they acknowledged this.

First off I'm not ready to rant again because I did it already today.

Second this is a CT weather thread so we have to be careful going too far off topic.

CT winters....Just because records only go back 60-120 yrs doesn't mean worse winters haven't happened in the past in CT. You want something to research... Look into the sun. Some amazing connections with bad winters during the sun nap times.

And lastly.. "Global Temps" include Australia, India and Nigeria temps. Weather and climate there has NOTHING to do with what's happening in CT or the U.S for that matter.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Due to warmer than average sea surface temperatures off the West Coast of the US and Canada, this has favored a ridge of high pressure there- continuing the trough downstream.

Notice how the PDO flipped sign strongly in 2014.
Whoa, you posted as I was typing. 2 minutes before me. Nice post! Exactly what I said too.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 PM

495 posts, read 610,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I think you read that the jet stream gets amplified (wavy with dips and rises). This is so far from the truth. One just has to look at the Pacific waters warming which cause High pressure which causes the rise in the jet in the west and the dip in the east. It has ALWAYS been happening!! During cooling, during warming. The truth has been revealed that the earth has been cooling past decade + and they acknowledged this.

First off I'm not ready to rant again because I did it already today.

Second this is a CT weather thread so we have to be careful going too far off topic.

CT winters....Just because records only go back 60-120 yrs doesn't mean worse winters haven't happened in the past in CT. You want something to research... Look into the sun. Some amazing connections with bad winters during the sun nap times.

And lastly.. "Global Temps" include Australia, India and Nigeria temps. Weather and climate there has NOTHING to do with what's happening in CT or the U.S for that matter.
Global surface average temperatures have not shown any cooling trend. 14 of the last 15 years from 2000 to 2014 were among the hottest global on record. That is no accident. Locally, the last couple years, we have had cooler than average trends. Personally I am loving this.

It means Malloy is obviously doing something right because results show we are not suffering from global warming in Connecticut. Just kidding on this paragraph

Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Northeastern MA--we cannot get out of the house. Can barely SEE out due to windows plastered and drifted snow. Tunnel to road has been filled in by the town plow as has the tunnel to the car. Town plow has shoved snow up against the entire front of the house, even onto the front steps.

Yes, Boston and other cities and towns have gained waivers to shove snow into the ocean. The streets here (not Boston) are narrow trails with people walking down the middle. Boston schools have been closed for 9 days, tomorrow maybe workers will return but today only emergency workers were allowed on the roads. National Guard has been called and equipment from other states to clear snow in Boston. They say no living person has seen this much snow in such a short period of time. Worcester, MA wins at over 90"--most places have about 80" of snow on the ground.

Think of the Blizzard of '88, that was 1888. There are pictures of it online. Another one was Eighteen Eighty and Froze to Death--I think that was the year that spring,and even summer, never came.
80 inches on ground? You'd have to prove that one Not possible..the compacting snow would not allow it.

The east side of the lakes get that amount in a matter of days in the most persistent bands..lets not over-dramatize here ... its an incredible amount of snow but humans have seen much more over a 3 week period.

That said what BOSTON / Mass is dealing with is unique to that area and a once in a lifetime or more timeframe for sure. Just incredible stuff..surreal almost.

Last edited by jp03; 02-10-2015 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
80 inches on ground? You'd have to prove that one Not possible..the compacting snow would not allow it.

The east side of the lakes get that amount in a matter of days in the most persistent bands..lets not over-dramatize here ... its an incredible amount of snow but humans have seen much more over a 3 week period.

That said what BOSTON / Mass is dealing with is unique to that area and a once in a lifetime or more timeframe for sure. Just incredible stuff..surreal almost.
Bangor, Maine currently or within the past couple of days recorded a snowdepth of 51 inches, though.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Bangor, Maine currently or within the past couple of days recorded a snowdepth of 51 inches, though.
right I did see 50 or so reported right after last storm. Which is still incredible.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:48 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Is the snow on Saturday supposed to be major Cam?? I'm planning to go out to Dartmouth, MA (about 20 miles east of Providence) on Saturday afternoon.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Global surface average temperatures have not shown any cooling trend. 14 of the last 15 years from 2000 to 2014 were among the hottest global on record. That is no accident.
Locally, the last couple years, we have had cooler than average trends. Personally I am loving this.

It means Malloy is obviously doing something right because results show we are not suffering from global warming in Connecticut. Just kidding on this paragraph
You are one of the more facetious posters on here, but what the heck I'll bite.

I assume you missed this over the weekend?

The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever - Telegraph

Pretty damning accusations from reputable insiders. Data manipulation of both current readings and historical datasets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut