Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
My sister lives in Providence,RI. She has not seen her street in weeks. They have so much snow that she has no room left at all.
Yeah, pretty nuts when you think about what they're going through in that area and especially eastern MA. At that point its just making sure you have access to the home, cars and mailbox and not thinking about making every square inch clean and snow free.. I guess just adjust to tunnels, tight paths and piles everywhere. I know the feeling of not being able to reach high enough to throw new snow over the piles. Either they have to rent a machine and move the snow around or...I don't know.

They have to keep telling themselves its only temporary, snow won't last on the ground another 3 months....or will it? Lol. I read stories about the way past and people waiting and waiting for spring and summer and it never came. Summer of 1816 comes to mind.

I heard citys are putting piles in peoples front lawn to clear the sidewalks. I heard Boston schools have been closed for a week?? They go back tomorrow finally. They are thinking of dumping snow into the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
If I'm reading that run right on the precip and even apply 20:1 ratios, then:

Thurs/Fri is a dusting?

Sat/Sunday only "real potential", but this precip amount suggests 4" tops, right?

Next Tuesday an inch or less.....
Yup, yup, and yup. Basically because the storms are 100-300 miles too far off the coast. You get that tucked in more and they are all 6"+ easy. Chances are there and that's what was crazy to see. First one bombs out too late for us to give a 12"+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post
When are we getting back to normal temps? Good gravy!
Soon.. I would have to guess March. Then April we'll be tilling the soil and listening to spring birds.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Record # of days with a 10"+ snowpack for Islip (since 1984).

5th longest for Bridgeport making a run for 3rd longest. Had little melting today so I wonder if they can get to Thursday 7am with 10"+.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Record # of days with a 10"+ snowpack for Islip (since 1984).

5th longest for Bridgeport making a run for 3rd longest. Had little melting today so I wonder if they can get to Thursday 7am with 10"+.
Think about that Islip with that long near a foot of snow on the ground.. They always thaw a little even during cold snaps. Very very rare..

Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Northeastern MA--we cannot get out of the house. Can barely SEE out due to windows plastered and drifted snow. Tunnel to road has been filled in by the town plow as has the tunnel to the car. Town plow has shoved snow up against the entire front of the house, even onto the front steps.

Yes, Boston and other cities and towns have gained waivers to shove snow into the ocean. The streets here (not Boston) are narrow trails with people walking down the middle. Boston schools have been closed for 9 days, tomorrow maybe workers will return but today only emergency workers were allowed on the roads. National Guard has been called and equipment from other states to clear snow in Boston. They say no living person has seen this much snow in such a short period of time. Worcester, MA wins at over 90"--most places have about 80" of snow on the ground.

Think of the Blizzard of '88, that was 1888. There are pictures of it online. Another one was Eighteen Eighty and Froze to Death--I think that was the year that spring,and even summer, never came.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Northeastern MA--we cannot get out of the house. Can barely SEE out due to windows plastered and drifted snow. Tunnel to road has been filled in by the town plow as has the tunnel to the car. Town plow has shoved snow up against the entire front of the house, even onto the front steps.

Yes, Boston and other cities and towns have gained waivers to shove snow into the ocean. The streets here (not Boston) are narrow trails with people walking down the middle. Boston schools have been closed for 9 days, tomorrow maybe workers will return but today only emergency workers were allowed on the roads. National Guard has been called and equipment from other states to clear snow in Boston. They say no living person has seen this much snow in such a short period of time. Worcester, MA wins at over 90"--most places have about 80" of snow on the ground.

Think of the Blizzard of '88, that was 1888. There are pictures of it online. Another one was Eighteen Eighty and Froze to Death--I think that was the year that spring,and even summer, never came.
Holy Crap! That gave me the chills. Hang in there. Hope everyone still has power and enough food/drink supplies.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Snowfall totals so far through today. You can see where the cutoff point is this year. Wow.

5" Philly. 20" NYC. 33.5" here. 78" Boston! 92 Worcester. Only Feb 10th

Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:

I think you mean 1816, the summer that never came in New England? Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death Year Without a Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Bernie video. No hype. Why this next storm is happening too late for a big snowstorm but why the weekend storm is the one to watch.. I was never concerned with the Thursday storm. It's the weekend one our eyes shouldn't close on yet.

Poor DC and Philly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9o...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think you mean 1816, the summer that never came in New England? Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death Year Without a Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, thanks. That's the one with no growing season due to strange global conditions.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, thanks. That's the one with no growing season due to strange global conditions.
That's the one I was thinking of. Was nuts and being we didn't have records and Climo sites like we do now, all we have is stories and other forms of knowledge from it. But had we had data from that time we would never come close to beating those extremes. lol . Then again... maybe we're entering a period like the 1800s & 1700s. .

-------------------------------------

7 days after the big Feb 2nd snowstorm here are some selected top totals from each state. CT Makes the list again. http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc4.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut