Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The state Department of Transportation is handeling out $12.4 million for 40 towns teaching people how to cross the street and wear helmets while wearing bicycle

https://ctpost.com/news/article/Town...e-13249872.php
Okay, do you want to actually try finding the list of things that $12.4 million is paying for? That article does not point to $12.4 million being spent on "teaching people how to cross the street and wear helmets while wearing bicycle." There's actually fairly little information in that article. What are the actual details of what's being done? Is that something that's completely blackboxed? If so, then how did the article get the spending numbers for the "$378,000 for a multi-use trail in Avon to $117,000 for a pedestrian path on the Tolland Green." Even the two projects actually cited, while low on details, doesn't point to how to teach people to cross the street and wear helmets while wearing bicycles. It sounds more like spending on walking and biking infrastructure.

I'm not saying this will or will not be wasteful, but I am saying that what your citing for your takeaway summary doesn't seem to point to what you're saying.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, do you want to actually try finding the list of things that $12.4 million is paying for? That article does not point to $12.4 million being spent on "teaching people how to cross the street and wear helmets while wearing bicycle." There's actually fairly little information in that article. What are the actual details of what's being done? Is that something that's completely blackboxed? If so, then how did the article get the spending numbers for the "$378,000 for a multi-use trail in Avon to $117,000 for a pedestrian path on the Tolland Green." Even the two projects actually cited, while low on details, doesn't point to how to teach people to cross the street and wear helmets while wearing bicycles. It sounds more like spending on walking and biking infrastructure.

I'm not saying this will or will not be wasteful, but I am saying that what your citing for your takeaway summary doesn't seem to point to what you're saying.
Here is a link to the Connecticut Community Connectivity Program with a list of what is being done with the money. It looks to be a lot of sidewalk, trails and bike lane projects. Do not see anything on helmets. Jay

Community Connectivity Program |

Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is a link to the Connecticut Community Connectivity Program with a list of what is being done with the money. It looks to be a lot of sidewalk, trails and bike lane projects. Do not see anything on helmets. Jay

Community Connectivity Program |
Oh how weird! These sound like actual construction and reconstruction of sidewalk and street infrastructure. Where's the earmarking in there for teaching people how to cross streets and wear helmets?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh how weird! These sound like actual construction and reconstruction of sidewalk and street infrastructure. Where's the earmarking in there for teaching people how to cross streets and wear helmets?
I just went back and looked at the original article linked for this and it says nothing about teaching people how to cross streets or helmets. The Post could have corrected the article or the poster could have misread it. Not sure why they thought it said that but I do remember reading it and thinking the article was unclear. Now it is pretty straight forward. Jay

Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
More from CBIA:

Fix Connecticut

Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM

413 posts, read 317,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
More from CBIA:

Fix Connecticut

This is pretty revealing. But it's to much to ask that Connecticut voters do anything different.

• Connecticut is the only state in the country with an economy that has not grown since the recession ended eight years ago.
  • Connecticut has recovered just 88% of all jobs lost during the recession, trailing the region and country in job growth.
  • Connecticut’s tax rates—personal income, property, sales, and business taxes—are far higher than national and regional averages.
  • Each Connecticut taxpayer now owes $53,400 to pay off the state’s growing debts.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
This is pretty revealing. But it's to much to ask that Connecticut voters do anything different.

• Connecticut is the only state in the country with an economy that has not grown since the recession ended eight years ago.
  • Connecticut has recovered just 88% of all jobs lost during the recession, trailing the region and country in job growth.
  • Connecticut’s tax rates—personal income, property, sales, and business taxes—are far higher than national and regional averages.
  • Each Connecticut taxpayer now owes $53,400 to pay off the state’s growing debts.
Connecticut has recovered 113% of the private sector jobs lost during the recession. It is the public sector jobs, like the ones that are primarily funded by taxes, that has not recovered. Do we really want those to grow when we are trying to cut taxes?

I do however question the percentage that keeps being thrown around. I saw in the Courant today that private sector is 113% recovered but public sector is 88% recovered. How can overall be at 88% when private sector is 113%? Mathematically impossible. I think they need to update their numbers. Jay

Old 09-24-2018, 05:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
More from CBIA:

Fix Connecticut

Spot on, but we lack the drive and the will to get it done. We are living off our past-which will lead to progressively worse conditions.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:37 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut has recovered 113% of the private sector jobs lost during the recession.
less than half the national rate, 40% worse than the 2nd worst New England rate.

My Mets had a better 2018 than Malloy's best year.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I've lived here for one year now and all I hear about is property taxes. Luckily, I'm in an apartment.

A cousin who lives nearby is afraid to retire due to the high taxes. She wants to move away. And today I got an email from a cousin on the other side of the family. He lives on the cheap (sort of) in eastern CT and he told me that both of his brothers have moved to the south because CT is too expensive. My dr is retiring and will stay but only because he couldn't get enough money for his house. He says he'll just stay and pay the high taxes, that it is a wonderful state for outdoor activities and the airport is there when they want to travel. He can afford CT!

I still say--bring back the tolls on the highways. Get the tolls from all those NYers who come soaring through for free now. The rest, I don't know. I don't know what happened to this state after I left long ago, but it's looking faded and something needs to be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut