Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
General Electric Tax Rate 1.8 Percent Over Decade, Report Finds (UPDATE)

Why GE is somehow entitled to pay a lower tax rate (exponentially lower...) than my company is beyond me. GE avoids federal taxes together.

If you wonder why your tax bill is so high, maybe you should ask your exalted job creators why theirs is so low? It takes money to run the country.
I understand where you are coming from, but I also understand the flip side. Even with my own income I try and reduce my income tax liabilities. I used 401k, donations and owning property to help reduce what I pay.

Difference between US and THEM is they have smart accountants and attorneys who know how to play the game.

I know you own some sort of business, does the new data and processing service tax increase impact your business. I read that some company (unnamed) in Hartford could take a hit of $14m. I'm not familiar with what data and processing service means is the reason I'm asking.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:46 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but I also understand the flip side. Even with my own income I try and reduce my income tax liabilities. I used 401k, donations and owning property to help reduce what I pay.

Difference between US and THEM is they have smart accountants and attorneys who know how to play the game.

I know you own some sort of business, does the new data and processing service tax increase impact your business. I read that some company (unnamed) in Hartford could take a hit of $14m. I'm not familiar with what data and processing service means is the reason I'm asking.
Don't forget the lobbyists.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
GE Planning to leave if CT raise taxes

GE Issues Statement On Potential Increase To Connecticut Taxes - NASDAQ.com

Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Aetna issues same threat.

They have to realize that these companies mean business.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Does the legislation understand that raising taxes is an awful idea? It slows everything down. It hurts hard working families and it's been crumbling the middle class for quite some time now. I know the governor said he won't raise taxes and since all the proposed new taxes aren't from him, he will do what he always does. Cherry picking statistics and using these random facts that don't back up his agenda. Take responsibility governor!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

We're not in data processing-- We're in media, so, thankfully, no.

We have pretty good accountants and I certainly take advantage to the tax breaks that are offered to someone who is self-employed with my income....

However, obviously, the tax breaks available to GE, et al, are much more generous.

So, now we're going let corporations run the state and decide when taxes can be raised? I thought that was up to our elected representatives....

Old 06-01-2015, 07:06 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
mlassoff, Don't complain if taxes are raised and they leave. Corps are not hostages.

If taxes get raised repeatedly, someone else needs to do the job state reps obviously cannot do.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
mlassoff, Don't complain if taxes are raised and they leave. Corps are not hostages.

If taxes get raised repeatedly, someone else needs to do the job state reps obviously cannot do.
No- What I am complaining about is I pay taxes and they don't.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No- What I am complaining about is I pay taxes and they don't.
At what level don't they pay taxes? Their U.S. payroll is north of 10 billion (out of $72 billion in revenue) and their single largest expense in the cost of goods sold. Their products and services are also taxed at the time of purchase in most jurisdictions. Between the two we are talking about several billion dollars in federal revenue. Most of those employees are paying 20-30% federal tax rates. Same for dividend owners (don't get me started on the double taxation of dividends). They also pay several percent to the state of ct, which unlike federal taxes, has few deductions. It wouldn't surprise me if they pay a higher state corporate tax rate relative to their 2% federal rate. I'd pack it up if I were in their shoes.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM

None of this is final! It could change and get rid of all the new taxes.

Let's hope! I still have faith they will not pass this budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut