Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 AM

370 posts, read 609,161 times

Advertisements

Connecticut will be fine....the new Amazon warehouse will save it

Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 AM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
There seems to be a lot of outrage on this forum over this but let me ask you something, has anyone of you contacted your State Representative and voiced your opposition? I have. Instead of ranting here, look up the name of your Representative and rant to them. That may knock some sense into them already. Jay

Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 AM

453 posts, read 531,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Do they manufacture fake poop? Picture sure looks like that.

Back to Connecticut Economy...

None of these companies will move. It's all a bluff. Later today they will come out with a budget and GE will announce they want to expand in the State. We have one of the best States in the Country for Business, there is no way they want to leave.
You can't be that delusional to think we are one of the best states in the country for business.

On paper? Sure. High education, great access in the northeast corridor.

If what you are saying is true, why is CT consistently in the bottom of the barrel when it comes to economic growth, job growth, etc.?

We are a state resting on its laurels. I work for a major insurance company in Hartford. The fact that 2 of the big ones are speaking out better make the legislature wake up. You think Hartford is bad now? It'll become Detroit if insurance skips out of town.

Okay, Detroit was extreme. Let's say Cleveland.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There seems to be a lot of outrage on this forum over this but let me ask you something, has anyone of you contacted your State Representative and voiced your opposition? I have. Instead of ranting here, look up the name of your Representative and rant to them. That may knock some sense into them already. Jay
Yes, many times.

Both in favor of tolls and in opposition to these tax increases. Also, signed many, many petitions (if those mean anything). Joe Markley (R) is my rep. He is a very good rep with a great head on this shoulders.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,042 times
Quote:
We have one of the best States in the Country for Business, there is no way they want to leave.
45th best in the last survey I saw.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
You can't be that delusional to think we are one of the best states in the country for business.

On paper? Sure. High education, great access in the northeast corridor.

If what you are saying is true, why is CT consistently in the bottom of the barrel when it comes to economic growth, job growth, etc.?

We are a state resting on its laurels. I work for a major insurance company in Hartford. The fact that 2 of the big ones are speaking out better make the legislature wake up. You think Hartford is bad now? It'll become Detroit if insurance skips out of town.

Okay, Detroit was extreme. Let's say Cleveland.
It was a little tongue & cheek humor. I do realize that CT is not the most business friendly state, we have our little problems like every other state. I want to see CT succeed, I own property here and some day when I sell I prefer not to take a loss on it.

CT will never become Detroit or Cleveland. These companies will whine, we'll throw some money at them and they will stay.

Round 2 of the negotiations are happening, we will see what they bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Hoping we can improve that.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
There's surveys that come out all the time saying we're 42nd or 45th.

The fact is if this tax hike gets approved we are digging ourselves a bigger hole. It's not about how much we spend, it's about WHAT we spend.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
These are mostly taxes paid by customers, and employees that you are listing. Yes, they pay payroll taxes-- just like I do. However, as you know, GE's overall Federal (and probably state) tax rate is MUCH lower % of their profits than mine...

You want to encourage entrepreneurship? Make the playing field level.
I don't doubt the tax paid on profits vs. revenue is low. However, they paid $76.5M to the Town of Fairfield last year in property tax. That is nothing to shake a stick at. Just imagine they leave, that is a $76m+ gap in a single towns revenue stream. I HIGHLY doubt they will move.

Something needs to be done to spur entrepreneurship. CT should strive to be center of one industry instead of part of many. Let's focus on one sector and excel in that. Example is bioscience.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM

453 posts, read 531,380 times
Quote:
It was a little tongue & cheek humor. I do realize that CT is not the most business friendly state, we have our little problems like every other state. I want to see CT succeed, I own property here and some day when I sell I prefer not to take a loss on it.

CT will never become Detroit or Cleveland. These companies will whine, we'll throw some money at them and they will stay.

Round 2 of the negotiations are happening, we will see what they bring.

Hoping we can improve that.
I'm a born and raised, UConn grad, CT millennial. I too want to see the state succeed as I love New England, the seasons, hiking, skiing, the shore, charm, etc. that CT possesses. I am in a good financial position to be able to buy a home but I am so hesitant with the current state of the climate in this state. To me, the home is more about an investment than a place to live. I've lived in an apartment for years and it's much more carefree, so I am not in a rush.

As time goes on, I'm less and less enthusiastic about living here, and browsing more and more jobs/apartments in New Hampshire, Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Portland. Sure, the grass is always greener, but CT is just very stale, stagnant, and resistant to change, never mind the obscene tax burden I have just as a single, renting guy in his 20's.

As the elderly move to retire to FL, TN, GA, etc, and the young people flock to 'exciting' new locales, who will be left?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Yes, many times.

Both in favor of tolls and in opposition to these tax increases. Also, signed many, many petitions (if those mean anything). Joe Markley (R) is my rep. He is a very good rep with a great head on this shoulders.
Anyone else???

Looks like they are rethinking this. We will see if they can avoid it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut