Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,210,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
CT just doesn't have economic opportunities, tbh.
There are many opportunities in CT. The problem is not the opportunities or the "drive." It is the heavy burden of Govt regulation, Govt taxation, utilities, etc. in comparison to other states.

Bribing companies, subsidizing companies with taxpayer money, corporate welfare -- these are not sustainable economic models. They're just an aspirin to a cancer patient.

What's baffling to me is people who fail to accept this cause-effect relationship. It's like eating 5 dinners a day, plus a huge midnight snack and then wondering -- Gee I wonder why I am fat?? It can't be my eating habits, can it?!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
CT just doesn't have economic opportunities, tbh.
I would disagree. Its not as dry as people think. The grass isn't greener everywhere but CT's opportunities are decent and a lot better than most places in the country ATM.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Connecticut ranked among the worst states to do business in

But according to a new report from “Chief Executive” magazine, Connecticut ranks 45th in the country on a list of best and worst states for businesses, one spot lower than the state was ranked in 2014. Specifically, the magazine wrote “With poor road conditions and a high cost of living, pro-growth forces are overwhelmed by the state’s commitment to higher taxes. CEOs and business owners feel the government is not on their side.”

One CEO had a lot to say on Connecticut’s business allure: “Connecticut is a horrible state for business. The governor is anti-business and the economic environment he creates is confrontational. The roads and highways are in poor condition, and the state is fundamentally broke. The cost of living continues to rise and the governor raises taxes and spending and does not work to lower expenses.”

Connecticut ranked among the worst states to do business in | FOX CT

Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut ranked among the worst states to do business in

But according to a new report from “Chief Executive” magazine, Connecticut ranks 45th in the country on a list of best and worst states for businesses, one spot lower than the state was ranked in 2014. Specifically, the magazine wrote “With poor road conditions and a high cost of living, pro-growth forces are overwhelmed by the state’s commitment to higher taxes. CEOs and business owners feel the government is not on their side.”

One CEO had a lot to say on Connecticut’s business allure: “Connecticut is a horrible state for business. The governor is anti-business and the economic environment he creates is confrontational. The roads and highways are in poor condition, and the state is fundamentally broke. The cost of living continues to rise and the governor raises taxes and spending and does not work to lower expenses.”

Connecticut ranked among the worst states to do business in | FOX CT
This has been in the news for quite some time. I think we should all know this by now. Look on the bright side. At least we did better than other neighboring states like New York and Massachusetts.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,968 times
The Courant just had an article on how career fairs have waitlists for the first time in years. That's for employers looking for new talent. If you have the right degree the jobs are out there. One of the highlights was a recent grad in healthcare administration who had multiple competing offers. My employer for one is desperate for skilled app and web developers.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:23 PM

77 posts, read 76,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I would disagree. Its not as dry as people think. The grass isn't greener everywhere but CT's opportunities are decent and a lot better than most places in the country ATM.
...are you kidding? You're trying to say that a state which consistently lags behind the rest of the nation in things like job growth has better opportunities than most places in the country.

Tell me. Tell me where these opportunities are, because I can't find them.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:38 PM

402 posts, read 686,976 times
"One CEO had a lot to say on Connecticut’s business allure: “Connecticut is a horrible state for business. The governor is anti-business and the economic environment he creates is confrontational. The roads and highways are in poor condition, and the state is fundamentally broke. The cost of living continues to rise and the governor raises taxes and spending and does not work to lower expenses.”

this says enough IMO

Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
...are you kidding? You're trying to say that a state which consistently lags behind the rest of the nation in things like job growth has better opportunities than most places in the country.

Are you serious? There are opportunities everywhere. Though it depends on your field of work but there are good paying jobs here. Just because the job growth is low DOESNT mean there aren't opportunities. Is our unemployment lower than a few months ago? Yes. Don't always listen to every story from the media because it can be quite deceptive. The thing is that our job growth is minimal but that's because our states population is barely growing. We actually lost 2 thousand people last year which is barely nothing. Not because of the job market but because most people are now finding the opportunity to retire and move to a warmer climate state. This isn't new. Many states in the northeast are the same exact way and same situation as us. When people retire then new people take over those positions. People move out of state because they are sick of living here and new people take those spots. Are other places doing better than us? Yes sure but I wouldn't entirely blame it on Connecticut. There are more desirable places that are taking over right now and we have no control over that. Was the recession our fault? No. Everything that has happen has been a series of unfortunate events. Actually many people I know who moved here from South Carolina because of family already found good paying jobs. Not just 1 person but multiple. They said they had a harder time finding a job elsewhere.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,189,053 times
Quote:

What we lack is minimum wage low chances of upward mobility job growth. On higher end, we are above par for the nation.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
"One CEO had a lot to say on Connecticut’s business allure: “Connecticut is a horrible state for business. The governor is anti-business and the economic environment he creates is confrontational. The roads and highways are in poor condition, and the state is fundamentally broke. The cost of living continues to rise and the governor raises taxes and spending and does not work to lower expenses.”

this says enough IMO
I'm always curious what CEO said these things. If this person ran a manufacturing company, yea ct is prob not the best spot. If he ran an insurance company and said that we might have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut