Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is really indicative of the Hartford area's improving economy but Toll Brothers just had a Grand Opening of their newest development in Glastonbury and already 18 of the lots are either sold or under deposit. That to me is a lot, particularly for a development that is pretty pricey ($662,000 and up) and just getting started. Jay

Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure if this is really indicative of the Hartford area's improving economy but Toll Brothers just had a Grand Opening of their newest development in Glastonbury and already 18 of the lots are either sold or under deposit. That to me is a lot, particularly for a development that is pretty pricey ($662,000 and up) and just getting started. Jay
Seems strange with the laws of supply and demand being what they are that they can command such prices with 90% of the people leaving Connecticut...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
mlassoff,

It is clear that 90% of the 10% remaining in CT want to live in that development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Seems strange with the laws of supply and demand being what they are that they can command such prices with 90% of the people leaving Connecticut...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Those were just the starting prices. Adding in options brings the prices up pretty quickly. The spec home they are building is just under $800,000.

I had expected that they would sell a few homes there quickly (for some reason people seem to like Toll Brother homes), but to have so many already sold or under contract is surprising. I should add that there is another development out that way in East Glastonbury that is also building new homes and the builder there has built and sold a lot of homes in the last year. Added with this, that will be a nice increase in the town's Grand List. Jay

Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Those were just the starting prices. Adding in options brings the prices up pretty quickly. The spec home they are building is just under $800,000.

I had expected that they would sell a few homes there quickly (for some reason people seem to like Toll Brother homes), but to have so many already sold or under contract is surprising. I should add that there is another development out that way in East Glastonbury that is also building new homes and the builder there has built and sold a lot of homes in the last year. Added with this, that will be a nice increase in the town's Grand List. Jay
Just goes to show you there are people who not only want to stay here, but will invest a fortune in doing so.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I don't know how the service is but Peapod has been around for a while.
Price's are too high and they don't accept coupons. I see these trucks on the road sometimes, but I've never seen one in my neighborhood. The people a service like this who would really benefit from it such as senior citizen's on fixed incomes can't afford it. I wonder who's using this service?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
There's a new development in Rocky Hill (not sure who the builder is) and the starting price is $629,000 for the house at the entrance which is also at the bottom of the hill. This development runs uphill and the houses at the top will have views of Middletown during the winter when the leaves are down. I imagine the houses on top of the hill will be $899,000 and up. I'm asking myself who has this money and who would pay it to live in Rocky Hill ? Is the Hartford area creating more wealthy people that can afford these houses?

I can't remember the last time (except for some condos) I've seen new houses go up for under 300K in Hartford area.

Same thing with apt buildings. Who can afford $1200 a month for 1 bedroom, especially if you're young and just starting out?

Where's the new $800 a month 1 bedroom apts?

What's really funny is the new apt complex in Rocky Hill (called Alterra or something) on Brook st has rents starting around $1400 a month for one bedroom. Across the street (certainly within walking distance) a new business opened up about 5 years ago called "Burris Logistics" they pay warehouse people $10 an hour. How can they afford the $1400 a month apts? That would be a perfect location to live if you worked at Burris.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
mlassoff,

It is clear that 90% of the 10% remaining in CT want to live in that development.

lol!

Don't know why, they're kind of an eyesore

Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Price's are too high and they don't accept coupons. I see these trucks on the road sometimes, but I've never seen one in my neighborhood. The people a service like this who would really benefit from it such as senior citizen's on fixed incomes can't afford it. I wonder who's using this service?
Dual-income Fairfield County families with lots of income and little spare time.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Hold onto your wallets Ct residents and business owners. There are some hefty taxes coming our way. I Don't mind paying a small increase in taxes every two years. I understand cost go up so is life but CT is reaching for anything.

most of the items I am totally against like the car tax that will go into a fund and be distributed amongst certain towns. No, I want my car tax to go to my town because they do a fine job providing services. Taxing the wealthy even more. I don't want this to turn into a debate but Greenwich pays the most tax (600 million) every year and to ask the weathly to pay more while services seem to be declining is a bad move. Even Malloy is against that.

Fyi, as of Friday income tax receipts are running $150m below projections. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut