Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. I don't want to leave CT because I love it here but my wife would be happy since she's been dreaming of moving out for quite some time now. Virginia and Texas are huge possibilities but I will miss the 4 seasons if I end up in Texas. I'm not a huge fan of really hot weather all year round either. Are you from NJ by any chance? How's everything been run down there? Better than CT?
Like Ct, we are underperforming, but we are not facing major employees in revolt, as we are not raising taxes. Thank Christie!

I lived near Nashville for 17 years, and were it earlier in the career, I would not choose the Northeast, as the entire region is lower in growth than the Southeast and Southwest, but at this stage , I am enjoying NJ and NYC 2x/month in particular.

If you are in your prime earning years, this move , economically, could be terrific for you.

Texas is too large for me to discuss weather, as it varies greatly. Va, South and North are 2 different climates!

Point of reference for you: Nashville, on average, was about 8 degrees warmer than Milford, Ct where I grew up. Winter often meant a winter coat, with some 55-60 degree afternoons mixed in, though!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Like Ct, we are underperforming, but we are not facing major employees in revolt, as we are not raising taxes. Thank Christie!

I lived near Nashville for 17 years, and were it earlier in the career, I would not choose the Northeast, as the entire region is lower in growth than the Southeast and Southwest, but at this stage , I am enjoying NJ and NYC 2x/month in particular.

If you are in your prime earning years, this move , economically, could be terrific for you.

Texas is too large for me to discuss weather, as it varies greatly. Va, South and North are 2 different climates!

Point of reference for you: Nashville, on average, was about 8 degrees warmer than Milford, Ct where I grew up. Winter often meant a winter coat, with some 55-60 degree afternoons mixed in, though!

I just read an article the other day that said TN either is going to (or recently did) make an amendment to the state constitution forbidding a state income tax ever be allowed to exist. The fact that actions like this are not only possible, but put into motion in other parts of the country makes me loath the tri-state even more.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I just read an article the other day that said TN either is going to (or recently did) make an amendment to the state constitution forbidding a state income tax ever be allowed to exist. The fact that actions like this are not only possible, but put into motion in other parts of the country makes me loath the tri-state even more.
Most years they balance the budget or have a surplus, too.

the amendment will pass.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,864 times
Quote:
Yet Tennessee has one of the highest poverty rates, higher than national unemployment rate, high crime, and low quality of life. Shocking...Just an observation that I notice from most southern states is that many of them don't invest in a better quality of life for its citizens. The funny thing is that Texas cares more about its businesses than people. Connecticut is almost the complete opposite.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
The tax money will have to come from somewhere... Even in backwaters, there is a minimal level of services expected and those most be paid for.

I'd love to have a happy medium. I'm willing to pay taxes for services, and to take care of the disabled, education, etc. I'm not happy with waste and excess.

I like an environment with good services-- but it seems either states are taking ridiculous, symbolic no-tax pledges or are on the other end of the spectrum and spending lavishly....

Old 06-18-2015, 08:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The tax money will have to come from somewhere... Even in backwaters, there is a minimal level of services expected and those most be paid for.

I'd love to have a happy medium. I'm willing to pay taxes for services, and to take care of the disabled, education, etc. I'm not happy with waste and excess.

I like an environment with good services-- but it seems either states are taking ridiculous, symbolic no-tax pledges or are on the other end of the spectrum and spending lavishly....
Totally agree. I take care of a parent with a disability and it is tough as we're considering moving states - should we go someplace where I pay less taxes but the state offers little support for people like my mother, or should I go someplace I pay out the nose for taxes but I feel more secure about her welfare should something happen to me? Even with a decent salary that comes with me, it is a tough decision. Wish there were more of a medium in many places but, like you said, the money has to come from somewhere.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
State of Connecticut coming back strong...!! May jobs number indicate an increase of 6,400 jobs. Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation

Seems like Connecticut is getting it's strength back. Couple more months like this and we will be back to one of the top economies in the Country.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Found this interesting. Since 1990, Hartford lost 37% of it's insurance jobs. Hartford Has Lost 37 Percent Of Its Insurance Jobs Since 1990 - Hartford Courant

When I worked in DT it seemed to be flourishing with people, especially at the insurance companies (2010-2013). Granted I wasn't around 1990 to see the height, but it begs the question what caused the drop? Was it the income tax in 1991 or the fact that larger companies eat up smaller companies, merge and lay off people. What caught my eye is that in the past year employment remained at the same number which means insurance companies might not be expanding.

Hopefully IF (and it's a large IF) Anthem buys Cigna no impact will happen. Anthem is based out of Indianapolis.
I talked with my family member about this and he says it is really not as dramatic as it sounds. Part of this has to do with insurance companies who spun off financial service divisions that previously were just considered part of the insurance industry. The most dramatic of these was Aetna selling its financial service to ING and is now Voya in Windsor. The jobs are still there but now considered finance jobs not insurance.

He also thought that some of it relates to the work-from-home programs many insurers use now. Interestingly he says this trend may be changing as companies in general are realizing that these programs do not promote team work and tend to isolate people which is not great for morale and long term employment.

He did say a lot of changes are coming in the industry that are a result of Obama Care and changes to Medicare/Medicaid programs. He thinks that Hartford will still hold their own in insurance. He noted that things like this happened in the past and while they had a short term impact the industry has come back. There is a lot of talent here and the costs while higher than some Midwest areas are not dramatically higher overall. Jay

Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
State of Connecticut coming back strong...!! May jobs number indicate an increase of 6,400 jobs. Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation

Seems like Connecticut is getting it's strength back. Couple more months like this and we will be back to one of the top economies in the Country.
This is good news. Now let the "negative nellies" here start the complaining. Jay

Old 06-18-2015, 10:24 AM

370 posts, read 608,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is good news. Now let the "negative nellies" here start the complaining. Jay
Manufacturing is down another 1,000 jobs...pretty pathetic. Wait until GE Capital begins their layoffs in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut