Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 PM

453 posts, read 531,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This article is about growth in GDP. I believe Connecticut is already near the top for GDP in terms of dollars per capita. IF we were already at or near the top, of course we will not show a lot of growth, we have no where to go but down. You really need to look carefully at the statistics that are thrown around, particularly from negative-news obsessed media. Jay
True, but we are lagging behind our neighbors MA and NY, so that argument does not really apply. Even being at the top, we should still be driving for growth to strengthen our tax base, both corporate and personal.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
This article is about growth in GDP. I believe Connecticut is already near the top for GDP in terms of dollars per capita. IF we were already at or near the top, of course we will not show a lot of growth, we have no where to go but down. You really need to look carefully at the statistics that are thrown around, particularly from negative-news obsessed media. Jay
Would not call the Hartford Courant negative-news especially when it comes to Connecticut.

GDP per capita means jack squat. There was an article that said Hartford was #3 in the WORLD for GDP per capita. Basically we have large corporations and a lower-ish population so it makes those numbers look really good.

If we are at the top shouldn't we be growing, not stagnant. It takes money to make money, apparently CT has the money to do it but doesn't seem to be capitalizing on it.

YOY, South Carolina (just bc I like SC) had more than double our GDP Growth, looking at actual production, not percentages. CT did $139 Million and SC did $3.8 Billion. Yah, my first photo attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Economic Climate in CT-check-check.png  

Last edited by Mr_250; 06-10-2015 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times
Another hat in the ring:

Rivalry renewed: Indiana tries to pry Connecticut businesses away - CT Politics

Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
True, but we are lagging behind our neighbors MA and NY, so that argument does not really apply. Even being at the top, we should still be driving for growth to strengthen our tax base, both corporate and personal.
All three states are very close in per capita GDP. From the BEA site for 2014:

Connecticut 64,676
Massachusetts 63,005
New York 64,818

Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM

457 posts, read 905,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What surprises me is that we have a ton of HQ here which should add to this number. Remember GDP is calculated using the HQ Address not physical plant were items are made.
I don't think that is right. If true, then Bentonville, Arkansas' GDP - thanks to being the world headquarters of Walmart - is greater than all of DFW and twice the size of CT.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:51 PM

34,944 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Would not call the Hartford Courant negative-news especially when it comes to Connecticut.

GDP per capita means jack squat. There was an article that said Hartford was #3 in the WORLD for GDP per capita. Basically we have large corporations and a lower-ish population so it makes those numbers look really good.

If we are at the top shouldn't we be growing, not stagnant. It takes money to make money, apparently CT has the money to do it but doesn't seem to be capitalizing on it.

YOY, South Carolina (just bc I like SC) had more than double our GDP Growth, looking at actual production, not percentages. CT did $139 Million and SC did $3.8 Billion. Yah, my first photo attachment.
The Hartford Courant is not exactly the most positive of newspapers period. Over the years they have buried positive economic news in small articles deep inside the paper and placed negative economic news on the front page. OF course SC has great growth rates, they were a real mess during the recession. It is like all those job growth reports that show places like Nevada and Florida having great job growth. They tanked during the recession so of course they have no place to go but up. Don't get me wrong we can and should be doing better but it is not horrible either. Jay

Old 06-10-2015, 05:07 PM

678 posts, read 847,583 times
Agreed. Connecticut does not give off that depression vibe. There's definitely a sense of over-exaggeration.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
With these corp moves, Ct will show GDP retraction.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Great ad!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 PM

More Connecticut Hospital Groups Critique State Budget, Warn Of Consequences - Hartford Courant

2nd Hospital association issues a dire warning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut