Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Connecticut lost 10,400 jobs in January; harsh winter blamed

Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
As a commenter posted, most of those jobs were seasonal part time jobs which were more than likely counted as jobs created in 2013. Created in 2013 and cut in 2014. Ct is in a real mess. I'm sorry, but why can't someone just admit and fix it. Or am I way off the mark?

Not sure another retail center in east Hartford or a busway is going to spur economic activity.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
To be honest I wouldn't credit or blame either political party or any particular politician for what is essentially an economic cycle.
That's because your a Democrat and want to believe that raising taxes has nothing to do with our current economic climate.

You probably also believe that raising the minimum wage or Obamacare will have no effect on jobs either!

This governor raised taxes by the most in state history and its causing business costs to rise. The result is companies leave and people lose their jobs. Now he is paying companies to stay in CT! You raise taxes but pay companies to stay?? This is all around stupid.

See the connection?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
That's because your a Democrat and want to believe that raising taxes has nothing to do with our current economic climate.

You probably also believe that raising the minimum wage or Obamacare will have no effect on jobs either!

This governor raised taxes by the most in state history and its causing business costs to rise. The result is companies leave and people lose their jobs. Now he is paying companies to stay in CT! You raise taxes but pay companies to stay?? This is all around stupid.

See the connection?
He set a terrible precedent with UBS, who guaranteed keeping 2,000 jobs when they had 2,800 at signing. UTC can also cut over 1,500 Ct jobs and still get their money (Courant followup article goes through the terms by division for UTC). That is his error, all states lure with incentives, but they are based on ADDING jobs in the state. Guaranteeing just to mitigate losses is called greenmail, and smart administrations avoid that dangerous game at all costs.

But Malloy truthfully set up the UTC deal's less than favorable terms when he cut the UBS greenmail deal.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:

See the connection?
Highest tax burden in the US: New York City... And it's doing poorly right? (Not so much)

Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands all have much higher tax burdens than the US for individuals and have a higher standard of living. (They all have national health care as well). There is much less poverty in these countries, while poverty is rampant here.

Want to guess what the minimum wage is in these places?

Perhaps you can explain why these high-tax, strong social safety-net, high minimum wage locales (which are just examples-- there are others) are, as a whole, better off economically than we are...

Old 03-15-2014, 05:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
And high tax, strong safety net countries like the UK, France, Spain and Italy are not doing well economically. And DeBlasio seems to be trying his best to reverse all the progress made by Bloomberg in NYC.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Highest tax burden in the US: New York City... And it's doing poorly right? (Not so much)

Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands all have much higher tax burdens than the US for individuals and have a higher standard of living. (They all have national health care as well). There is much less poverty in these countries, while poverty is rampant here.

Want to guess what the minimum wage is in these places?

Perhaps you can explain why these high-tax, strong social safety-net, high minimum wage locales (which are just examples-- there are others) are, as a whole, better off economically than we are...
I guess you are doubling down with more taxes and higher minimum wages = more jobs and better prosperity?

I mean here is an article that describes the likely economic impact of raising the minimum wage.

The Record Is Clear: Minimum Wage Hikes Destroy Jobs - Forbes

Your economic theories sound like Obama's foreign policy logic - he thinks solving global warming will cure the crisis in Ukraine.

Why liberals defend these failed policies is beyond me!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I guess you are doubling down with more taxes and higher minimum wages = more jobs and better prosperity?

I mean here is an article that describes the likely economic impact of raising the minimum wage.

The Record Is Clear: Minimum Wage Hikes Destroy Jobs - Forbes

Your economic theories sound like Obama's foreign policy logic - he thinks solving global warming will cure the crisis in Ukraine.

Why liberals defend these failed policies is beyond me!
From that article: "For the small number of truly-disadvantaged individuals who remain at the minimum wage for a longer period of time, Congress has put in place a significant income supplement in the form of the Earned Income Tax Credit. A single parent with two children receives an additional $5,200 in income from this credit, bumping their effective hourly wage from $7.25 to $9.76."

Aw gee, how nice. I didn't know that Congress had a special little fairy that gives them the $$$$ to give to these people.

Oh wait a minute. There is no fairy. Where, oh where, does Congress get this money???

Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
From that article: "For the small number of truly-disadvantaged individuals who remain at the minimum wage for a longer period of time, Congress has put in place a significant income supplement in the form of the Earned Income Tax Credit. A single parent with two children receives an additional $5,200 in income from this credit, bumping their effective hourly wage from $7.25 to $9.76."

Aw gee, how nice. I didn't know that Congress had a special little fairy that gives them the $$$$ to give to these people.

Oh wait a minute. There is no fairy. Where, oh where, does Congress get this money???
Republicans want to repeal the earned income credit!

Whats your point? Right your thinking that because the minimum wage isn't $20 an hour we have to pay these people more money? Actually we don't and we shouldn't.

Lets get rid of it all welfare and foodstamps IMO. Malloy expanded the earned income tax credit and wants to increase the minimum wage.

This is where Republicans and Democrats disagree. The EITC is wrong just like raising the minimum wage is wrong. Its why jobs are leaving this state... from the article!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Republicans want to repeal the earned income credit!

Whats your point? Right your thinking that because the minimum wage isn't $20 an hour we have to pay these people more money? Actually we don't and we shouldn't.

Lets get rid of it all welfare and foodstamps IMO. Malloy expanded the earned income tax credit and wants to increase the minimum wage.

This is where Republicans and Democrats disagree. The EITC is wrong just like raising the minimum wage is wrong. Its why jobs are leaving this state... from the article!

WTH are you talking about ????

DO NOT try to put words in my mouth. I never advocated any specific amount, let alone $20/hr.

I don't advocate EITC either. I was simply pointing out that your little article is indeed, a slanted piece of journalistic garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut