Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 07:04 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times

Advertisements

Norwalk Development gets big name retailer! Bloomingdale’s to Open New Store in Norwalk, Connecticut | Business Wire

Bloomingdales is coming to Norwalk! Big store and jobs. A good sign.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When you get bought by someone with employees doing the same tasks, you're gone. Watch for the acquirer to use the term "synergy", much nicer sounding than "We already have staff doing your job, so you're gone". It means just that, in an acquisition..superfluous staff.
Let's be positive about this move. Maybe WF or BS will MOVE their HQ to Norwalk. CT could end up a big winner in this picture.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM

The next couple weeks should be interesting. CT lawmakers are hoping for a surge in income tax receipts to close the deficit. This could have impacts on everyone in CT wallet. Reading news articles it appears that some lawmakers have no issue in raising additional revenue i.e. taxes to ease the cuts to social services. State budget stakes are huge as tax filing deadline nears | The CT Mirror.

Also, a seperate issue is that Malloy wants to undertake his road reconstruction campaign and will need financing.

The question brought up is a good one..If CT doesn't get the surge in income will we see tax hikes this spring (income) and than see tolls this fall to pay for that? It could be a double whammy this year.

Let's hope the rich folks in FFC pay up. Judging by last years drop in income % paid, it doesn't look good this year.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Mr-250, For a few hundred mill they might.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Norwalk Development gets big name retailer! Bloomingdale’s to Open New Store in Norwalk, Connecticut | Business Wire

Bloomingdales is coming to Norwalk! Big store and jobs. A good sign.
This is great news. This along with the previously announced Nordstrom's will make this new mall a real powerhouse for southern Fairfield County. It will be interesting to see what other stores come there. Jay

Old 04-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Some more good news from FFC. Bridgewater is planning a major expansion project. World's biggest hedge fund, Bridgewater plans major Westport campus expansion - : Business

very positive sign that CT is a front runner in this field.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Some more good news from FFC. Bridgewater is planning a major expansion project. World's biggest hedge fund, Bridgewater plans major Westport campus expansion - : Business

very positive sign that CT is a front runner in this field.
Yeah, I understand that the real opposition to the Stamford move came from the managers within the company. They did not want to have to commute into Stamford and give up being in a beautiful setting for being in a city. When some obstacles came up in Stamford Bridgewater was able to bail on the Stamford building in favor of staying in Westport. The article does not say much on what they are doing but I understand it is a lot. The only thing is their buildings are not that big there. Here is another article on this. Jay

Bridgewater Plans Eco-Friendly Glendinning Redo - WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut

Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Interesting article on Connecticut having the lowest percentage of people earning under $15 per hour. I am sure people will claim this is bad for business but it is good for low wage earners IMHO. Jay

Report: CT has lowest proportion of sub-$15 earners | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM

678 posts, read 847,583 times
Is Bloomingdale much different from what you can get in Macys?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting article on Connecticut having the lowest percentage of people earning under $15 per hour. I am sure people will claim this is bad for business but it is good for low wage earners IMHO. Jay

Report: CT has lowest proportion of sub-$15 earners | HartfordBusiness.com
I am one of those people (if you couldn't tell).

I understand the whole idea behind it, I've read the "Fight for $15" campaign website. My negative aspect of it is more along the lines of we are creating lazy people. A burger flipper is not a career it's a stepping off point which you gain experience and responsibility. That's neither here nor there though.

It's bad for business but worse for low wage employees. CT has a current bill in the Senate that will penalize large companies, a per hour rate, for every employee they don't pay $15. CT will become land of automation. Employees at grocery stores, retailers and fast food will be layed off and replaced with machines.

Not business friendly, sure for some businesses, but I would argue we should be attracting businesses that pay well above this rate. CT growth in the past year was in these low wage sectors which stinks because if this passes the "growth" might halt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut