Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

JayCt, My last Tn salary was >3.5x my last Ct salary 17 years prior.

In general, in many growing major Southeastern metros, if you utilized salary.com and also investigated median salaries by occupation by region low COL salaries are more than offset by lower COLs. Now I'm not suggesting that should be the sole factor in moving, but the reality is corps in all states compete with each other. Corps in High cost states cannot ignore that, and cannot fully offset the huge COL gap.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Sad news. Baker Furniture, a 200+ year old store, in Stafford Springs is closing. It is kind of sad that this is happening but it is a national trend where today's youth are buying cheaper mass-made furniture that can be replaced cheaply and more often rather than investing in high quality furniture for the long run. It is sort of a symptom of our throw-away society. Too bad. Jay

207-year-old CT furniture store to close | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
JayCt, My last Tn salary was >3.5x my last Ct salary 17 years prior.

In general, in many growing major Southeastern metros, if you utilized salary.com and also investigated median salaries by occupation by region low COL salaries are more than offset by lower COLs. Now I'm not suggesting that should be the sole factor in moving, but the reality is corps in all states compete with each other. Corps in High cost states cannot ignore that, and cannot fully offset the huge COL gap.
Okay but my salary has gone up a similar amount here too. As has the cost-of-living here and across the country. Too many companies are not thinking long term these days and lose sight of their long term goals. Accountants have taken over and try and squeeze every penny out of a company to the point where it is just ridiculous. This is my major gripe with today's corporate environment. Just saying, Jay

Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Actually COL did not rise 350% in 17 years. That would be Jimmy Carter inflation territory, Jay.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Actually COL did not rise 350% in 17 years. That would be Jimmy Carter inflation territory, Jay.
I never said it did. Jay.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
**Not doing this to be negative, but because I like reporting on monthly labor reports.

Connecticut lost 3,700 jobs in February, breaking a 7 month winning streak. Private sector alone shed 3,500 jobs. (Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation). DOL is blaming this on the cold weather because snow is something new to CT. :hand:

Some industries such as construction and even leisure I can see laying people off. But losing 1,500 jobs in Education & Health Services and 1,800 jobs in Professional and Businesses services is not good. Finance/insurance also lost jobs.

Can someone give some positive news about jobs/companies that are moving here?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
**Not doing this to be negative, but because I like reporting on monthly labor reports.

Connecticut lost 3,700 jobs in February, breaking a 7 month winning streak. Private sector alone shed 3,500 jobs. (Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation). DOL is blaming this on the cold weather because snow is something new to CT. :hand:

Some industries such as construction and even leisure I can see laying people off. But losing 1,500 jobs in Education & Health Services and 1,800 jobs in Professional and Businesses services is not good. Finance/insurance also lost jobs.

Can someone give some positive news about jobs/companies that are moving here?
I don't see many companies moving here but I know there are quite a few companies that are expanding and creating some jobs. There are a lot of new part time positions are restaurants and retail stores. I wouldn't consider these jobs that you can make a living off of unless your a high end manager but...

Such as:
Chick Fil A
Apple
Walmart
Panels Bread
Lowes
Home Depot

Companies moving or reducing workforce:

Smith Detection moving to Maryland
Sensor Switch is closing
RadioShack has filed for bankruptcy which is losing jobs (not a CT issue)
Back9Network
Fusion Paperboard (somewhat recent I think October 2014?)

So sad to see companies close yet the government doesn't take full responsibilty and blames it on stuff to make it sound better than it actually is.

I've always been curious if we will ever see something HUGE in CT again like a big company moving here but I don't see it happening. Though we do have a large corporate presence.

Such as:
Subway
Pratt and Whitney
Aetna
LEGO
CIGNA
The Hartford
Peoples United Bank
Etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is a company that has added about 75 people to its Connecticut workforce in the past 4 years but has actually had a drop in overall employees over the past year. I don't know the company but thought it would be of interest to some. Jay

Affinion maintains Stamford workforce despite sales drop - Connecticut Post
Mr. 250 - I gave you some good news with my post above. There are a lot of others as well. Amazon is building a massive center in Windsor right now that will soon employ hundreds of people. A lot of firms are adding jobs but that does not make news since it is hard for the media to find them easily. Job cuts are easy to find because when it is over a certain amount the company must report it to the Labor Department. I would not worry just yet. We did have a very tough winter and believe it or not it does impact hiring. Let's see how the next couple of months shape up before drawing conclusions. Jay

Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Mr. 250 - I gave you some good news with my post above. There are a lot of others as well. Amazon is building a massive center in Windsor right now that will soon employ hundreds of people. A lot of firms are adding jobs but that does not make news since it is hard for the media to find them easily. Job cuts are easy to find because when it is over a certain amount the company must report it to the Labor Department. I would not worry just yet. We did have a very tough winter and believe it or not it does impact hiring. Let's see how the next couple of months shape up before drawing conclusions. Jay
Totally forgot about Amazon!! That is awesome, thank you for reminding me. Also reminds me I need to buy something from them. lol

I didn't realize that businesses had to report a certain amount of cuts. Interesting, I guess that is why you hear a lot more about cutting jobs than adding any.

This winter did stink so hopefully it will come back. Connecticut has a great worker-core and we continually rank high above productivity. It's hard to believe that companies aren't knocking down our doors to get to the talent.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Totally forgot about Amazon!! That is awesome, thank you for reminding me. Also reminds me I need to buy something from them. lol

I didn't realize that businesses had to report a certain amount of cuts. Interesting, I guess that is why you hear a lot more about cutting jobs than adding any.

This winter did stink so hopefully it will come back. Connecticut has a great worker-core and we continually rank high above productivity. It's hard to believe that companies aren't knocking down our doors to get to the talent.
Also note that the state adjusted the January job gains up by over 1,000 new jobs as well so not quite as bleak as you think. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut