Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 08:52 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I know. This is precisely why I don't come here as often as I used to.
It's tiresome to see one pity party after another while others cheerlead every piece of minor negative economic news that comes out while ignoring any positive.

I enjoy CT quite a bit. I've lived other places and certainly know there is a different QOL. I respect that others can and should make their own decisions-- but the slant here has certainly been unrealistically negative.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I would add this is precisely what the budding US oligarchy wants-- People so in fear of their economic survival that they'll side with any piece of legislation that relieves corporations of their social duties. Soon if (large) corporations have to pay any taxes at all the'll start screaming about "the jobs! the jobs!" as the usual suspects become their unwitting accomplices.

At the same time small business owners like me continue to get hosed...

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Keeping an eye on this. Might have some impact on Bloomfield.

From WSJ, the headquarters & CEO (for Anthem) will remain in Indiana. A synergy of $2Billion/yr can be recognized with combination of these two companies. The CEO of Cigna is very persistance on being the CEO of the combined company. He lives in Simsbury so you can almost guarantee that operations will NOT close in CT which a positive.

You're being far too kind. Operations will not close for him personally. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only employee left in CT eventually. He can be CEO from any where on the planet.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
It is what it is. Just make the best of it. I mean CT taxes are high and cost of living is high. You rarely see any progress in CT with the taxes you put in. Roads and infrastructure is a shame. Healthcare job's are being cut, but growing in some areas. Some schools are below standards and some are above standard. College education is expensive and once graduated low chance of landing a job in the state. Many funds and state departments are reeling with cuts, look at DMHAS.

Outside of that CT is a really beautiful state I love the NW, NE, and SE corners of the state...most of the coast line from Milford to Stonington. Can avoid any area in the center or near New York City.

Love the four seasons. The summer is my favorite especially at the beach in CT, wouldn't swim in the water or most water in CT. Great places to hike and paths to run in CT.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 AM

453 posts, read 530,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Several rumors that The Hartford will be bought out by Travelers.
Source?! I work for one of these 2 companies.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It's tiresome to see one pity party after another while others cheerlead every piece of minor negative economic news that comes out while ignoring any positive.

I enjoy CT quite a bit. I've lived other places and certainly know there is a different QOL. I respect that others can and should make their own decisions-- but the slant here has certainly been unrealistically negative.
No one cheered the positive article today I posted about Darien company adding 150 new jobs with a VC Investment from Baine Capital. Those kind of stories tend to get buried and no one talks about it.

I'm more than likely one of the Pity Party ones you speak of, but I try to be reasonable. For example, is is great Amazon opened up a warehouse in Windsor, of course. Will it help the truckers, fuel providers and local shops, sure which is a good thing and I've said many many times. But we can't ignore that one town over Hallmark layed off 600 people. In the end it cancels out to me.

I'm just bitter because they (admin) said no new taxes, and they increased taxes on businesses which I don't care (directly); (yes indirectly) but because they took $300 out of my pocket every year by reducing the housing credit.

Like they say in the media..If it bleeds, it leads.

EDIT: I also like that Carrhart is coming to Evergreen and BPS to Bridgeport!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Source?! I work for one of these 2 companies.
Fishman loves M&A and with Travelers being strong right now and The Hartford being equally as strong it makes it a prime target.

Travelers Is Looking for Acquisitions; The Hartford Could Be a Target - TheStreet

Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
Its hard to stay positive when every time I open up a website or any news feed I see CT make the list of "worst, last, expensive" and so on,....

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM

453 posts, read 530,504 times
Quote:
Fishman loves M&A and with Travelers being strong right now and The Hartford being equally as strong it makes it a prime target.

Travelers Is Looking for Acquisitions; The Hartford Could Be a Target - TheStreet
Thanks

Old 07-23-2015, 10:35 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
No one cheered the positive article today I posted about Darien company adding 150 new jobs with a VC Investment from Baine Capital. Those kind of stories tend to get buried and no one talks about it.

I'm more than likely one of the Pity Party ones you speak of, but I try to be reasonable. For example, is is great Amazon opened up a warehouse in Windsor, of course. Will it help the truckers, fuel providers and local shops, sure which is a good thing and I've said many many times. But we can't ignore that one town over Hallmark layed off 600 people. In the end it cancels out to me.

I'm just bitter because they (admin) said no new taxes, and they increased taxes on businesses which I don't care (directly); (yes indirectly) but because they took $300 out of my pocket every year by reducing the housing credit.

Like they say in the media..If it bleeds, it leads.

EDIT: I also like that Carrhart is coming to Evergreen and BPS to Bridgeport!
I don't consider you one of the "pity party" people because you post both the positive and the negative. I know some people say that I am too often posting the positive here but honestly there is no need to post the negatives since that is more than well covered. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut