Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Another company with a (North American) HQ in CT shedding people: Virgin Atlantic

It doesn't say how many cuts will be in CT but if they are not touching front-line staff I bet the HQ in Norwalk will shrink some.

Malloy had gone since Thursday without a job cut story. These days, for DM, that is a long time.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
a true progressive. spend to prosperity, that'll work
If I were you, I'd be a bit more concerned about what's going on in my own state. Last I checked AZ is facing a $1 billion defecit of its own.

And no, I did NOT vote for the current administration we have now. I am NOT happy with what's happening here. Unless you're a government employee or on some form of public assistance, there's little to be optimistic about in this state.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
And no, I did NOT vote for the current administration we have now. I am NOT happy with what's happening here. Unless you're a government employee or on some form of public assistance, there's little to be optimistic about in this state.
The problem here is that they are the ones who end up being the majority of the vote from the larger cities and not necessarily a valid representation of the state as a whole, almost a good case for an electoral college to ensure fair representation...almost.

What I've discussed with my father several times is how only those who pay taxes should be allowed to vote. Now that is a topic for a different forum/thread altogether but one that I would not mind standing behind.

The other interesting point is that with all of these layoffs and moves happening from companies, there has not been a peep from the governor. All we hear is that so many taxes were let through that were opposed or not supposed to be part of the bill yet obviously enough of the legislature went ahead and voted for them. And it kills me to see the absents from the voting, great representation when your elected official is not present to do their job.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
What I've discussed with my father several times is how only those who pay taxes should be allowed to vote. Now that is a topic for a different forum/thread altogether but one that I would not mind standing behind.
This could be interesting.

Eliminate all forms of welfare.
Eliminate lower income housing.
Reduce unemployment to a flat 6 months pay with no extensions.
Eliminate all funding for lower income healthcare.
Reduce funding to school districts that under perform.
Provide free bus transport to anyone who can't afford to live here and dump them all in surrounding states.

We could make Connecticut into the poster child of ideal society where everyone has a good job, nice home, and contributes back into society with taxes. Most likely also a white Connecticut but hey that's simple economics not racism.

Oh wait now who is going to cut my grass or bag my food?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
The problem here is that they are the ones who end up being the majority of the vote from the larger cities and not necessarily a valid representation of the state as a whole, almost a good case for an electoral college to ensure fair representation...almost.

The other interesting point is that with all of these layoffs and moves happening from companies, there has not been a peep from the governor. All we hear is that so many taxes were let through that were opposed or not supposed to be part of the bill yet obviously enough of the legislature went ahead and voted for them. And it kills me to see the absents from the voting, great representation when your elected official is not present to do their job.
Everyone pays taxes. Sales taxes especially. So I'm not sure the eligible voting population would change at all by excluding those who don't pay taxes.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
This could be interesting.

Eliminate all forms of welfare.
Eliminate lower income housing.
Reduce unemployment to a flat 6 months pay with no extensions.
Eliminate all funding for lower income healthcare.
Reduce funding to school districts that under perform.
Provide free bus transport to anyone who can't afford to live here and dump them all in surrounding states.

We could make Connecticut into the poster child of ideal society where everyone has a good job, nice home, and contributes back into society with taxes. Most likely also a white Connecticut but hey that's simple economics not racism.

Oh wait now who is going to cut my grass or bag my food?
You missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Everyone pays taxes. Sales taxes especially. So I'm not sure the eligible voting population would change at all by excluding those who don't pay taxes.
Sales tax is different from filing taxes each year. The goal is to make sure that we are not simply hemorrhaging money and adding taxes when the state doesn't even properly collect or govern the collection of current taxes. It's a way of saying that if you would like to have a say in how the government and legislature is run by voting, then file your taxes each year.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
You missed the point.

Sales tax is different from filing taxes each year. The goal is to make sure that we are not simply hemorrhaging money and adding taxes when the state doesn't even properly collect or govern the collection of current taxes. It's a way of saying that if you would like to have a say in how the government and legislature is run by voting, then file your taxes each year.
Fundamentally, I don't see any difference between the two. In either case I'm paying money to the state b/c they said so. One can get into the discussion that sales taxes are more regressive, but that's a different argument.

I with you that the state gov't is delusional. But the solution is to stop electing Dems to the legislature. I have relatives that vote the Dem party line and then complain about the budget. When I suggest that they might want to consider voting differently next time, they look at me like I'm crazy.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
And people forget that renters are indirectly paying real estate taxes with their rent payments. Jay

Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I with you that the state gov't is delusional. But the solution is to stop electing Dems to the legislature. I have relatives that vote the Dem party line and then complain about the budget. When I suggest that they might want to consider voting differently next time, they look at me like I'm crazy.
Oh you have those in your family to.

It's impossible to have a discussion with mine because it always turns into an argument about race, discrimination, etc. etc. It's really impossible to just talk about the issue without them thinking there is an ulterior motive behind my dialogue because I might have a nicer upbringing/current life status than the discussion allows me to have an opinion for. Not saying I am rich or upper class or any of that, just saying that people's perceptions lead to bias.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Fundamentally, I don't see any difference between the two. In either case I'm paying money to the state b/c they said so. One can get into the discussion that sales taxes are more regressive, but that's a different argument.

Well, this current wave of Dems thinks that we can still afford to be generous with things like state employee raises and their benefits, and of course, welfare benefits. Currently, CT is a contender for the most liberal states in the country when it comes to public assistance, and is one of only a handful of states where a person is eligible for welfare within 24 hours of moving here. While there should be some sort of a support system in place, the current one we have is deeply flawed. There's a certain word that our state's leaders have to start implementing into their vocabulary if they really want to get serious about fiscal issues, a very dirty, daring, risque word that everyday people like myself have used for years when they realize they can't afford certain things that really are costly and unnecessary, and that is the word NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut