Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is just speculation but why do I think Boston & GE go together like PB&J?

Boston has the tech, the knowledge, the infrastructure and the "New England" culture GE is looking for. Fairfield (no offense) is stale. Has anyone seen the GE commercials, what do they always feature as the main focus...young millennials living in a City atmosphere. That is something Fairfield cannot provide.

GE is also building 2 new headquarters around Boston. One for the Healthcare business and the other is lighting business.

Also, Providence could be a nice little satellite office for GE. Not a far drive from Boston and still very nice. You have plenty of College talent and it's cheaper than Boston but offers the same (granted smaller scale) entertainment and living. Plus maybe some of the wealthier employees like the Cape & RI beaches better.

This will be an interesting outcome.
Exactly (for the bold), trying to resell or lease a huge corporate building in the boondocks location of the Easton/Fairfield line is a major hurdle for them. Corps and Fortune 500s now want Stamford/Norwalk.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 AM

453 posts, read 531,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How do you know? You are speculating again. Also where did you see that Boston get the "last pitch"? Jay
Isn't that what this forum is for? Discussions and speculations?

Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Just read about UTC's recent announcement that they will be consolidating their facilities in "high cost" areas but that will have little if any impact on Connecticut. In fact according to Gregory Hayes, UTCs Chief Executive, jobs are being added at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford and Middletown. They also are building a massive $450 million Engineering building and a major addition to their research center in East Hartford and are beginning to plan for a major rehab of UTC Aerospace in Windsor Locks. Great news for our state. I would link the article but it was in the Courant and it does not let everyone read it. Jay

Old 12-11-2015, 05:49 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post

Bingo.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Just read about UTC's recent announcement that they will be consolidating their facilities in "high cost" areas but that will have little if any impact on Connecticut. In fact according to Gregory Hayes, UTCs Chief Executive, jobs are being added at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford and Middletown. They also are building a massive $450 million Engineering building and a major addition to their research center in East Hartford and are beginning to plan for a major rehab of UTC Aerospace in Windsor Locks. Great news for our state. I would link the article but it was in the Courant and it does not let everyone read it. Jay
Yes, true on the aerospace side, but the commercial side of UTC is a different story. From what I hear from insiders, a lot of Otis engineering jobs are or have moved from Farmington to South Carolina. And rumor has it that the CCS division HQ will be relocating from Farmington to Florida, it's only a matter of time. UTC made a MAJOR investment in Florida which I notice didn't get any mention from the Courant:

New United Technologies Customer Experience Center to Create 380 Jobs | Enterprise Florida

Today's announcement pretty much says the carnage will continue on the commercial side of UTC.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
No. The purpose of this forum is to inform people about Connecticut. Speculating what is going to happen without facts to support them is doing a disservice to the posters who want to learn more about our state. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-12-2015, 02:11 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I think GE will stay.

That is also speculation. No facts were included to prove the above.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
No. The purpose of this forum is to inform people about Connecticut. Speculating what is going to happen without facts to support them is doing a disservice to the posters who want to learn more about our state. JayCT, Moderator
Uprooting one's life to move across state lines is a major upheaval.

I would rather have all the negative opinions out in the open. That way if a relocation is made and it turns out to better than the negative opinions indicated, everything turns into a pleasant surprise. The other way around is almost unspeakably disappointing, to get your hopes up and find out the place is worse than advertised.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-12-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is also speculation. No facts were included to prove the above.
No, this is an opinion. There is a difference. Jay

Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Uprooting one's life to move across state lines is a major upheaval.

I would rather have all the negative opinions out in the open. That way if a relocation is made and it turns out to better than the negative opinions indicated, everything turns into a pleasant surprise. The other way around is almost unspeakably disappointing, to get your hopes up and find out the place is worse than advertised.
I never said that posters here could not post negative posts and I have never deleted a negative post unless it was against the rules of this forum. I have however noted that this forum has more than its fair share of posters who do nothing but post, or even delight in, negative posts. Why aren't you questioning them and their motives?

People that come to this forum are looking for a balanced and objective view of our state. People who constantly post the negative are not providing that objective view. Like I have said before, I do not have to focus on the negatives. They are more than voiced here by others. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut