Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 AM

163 posts, read 374,897 times

Advertisements

https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...slu-story.html

It's time to fly peeps!!!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM

413 posts, read 317,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This “study” is funny. It’s only 545 which is smaller than my graduating class in high school. If you asked my graduating class I bet 50 % of them said leaving and never coming back. Guess what, maybe 5% actually moved out of the town and the rest remain. It’s all just hype.

CT is doing ok. We are not a power house but not a Mississippi either. Middle of the road is where we want to be which is fine.
Connecticut used to be a economic powerhouse. You are getting your wish as it is well on the way to the middle of the pack.

Of course, that means you will continue to pay more and more taxes and get less for it. That the state infrastructure will continue to deteriorate as will overall quality of life. And that the lack of jobs will drive your children and grandchildren out of state as they look for opportunity.

If those are the things you want, the current trend is a net positive.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...slu-story.html

Incredible! But given how we are doing, not a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
I must say I find this “survey” to be ridiculous. I know no one that is planning on leaving the state in the next five years. If this was even remotely accurate I would think I would know someone planning to leave. Also a sampling of just 545 out of 3.5 million is statistically insignificant. Jay

Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
New Forecast Predicts U.S. Real Estate Appreciation to Remain +3.7 Percent

New Forecast Predicts U.S. Real Estate Appreciation to Remain +3.7 Percent

TOP TEN
Odessa, TX................................................ ................................ +9.7%
Coeur D'Alene, ID................................................ ..................... +9.5%
Idaho Falls, ID................................................ ........................... +9.4%
Boise City-Nampa, ID .................................................. ........... +9.1%
Midland, TX................................................ ............................... +8.0%
Bellingham, WA .................................................. ..................... +7.8%
Spokane, WA................................................ ............................ +7.4%
Kennewick-Pasco-Richland, WA .......................................... +7.2%
Pocatello, ID................................................ .............................. +7.2%
Yakima, WA .................................................. ............................ +7.2%

BOTTOM TEN
Grand Forks, ND-MN................................................ .................. -1.9%
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT........................................... -1.7%
Baton Rouge, LA................................................ .......................... -1.6%
Lafayette, LA................................................ ................................ -1.2%
Norwich-New London, CT................................................ ......... -1.0%
Danville, IL .................................................. ................................. -0.9%
Shreveport-Bossier City, LA .................................................. .... -0.7%
Hot Springs, AR .................................................. ......................... -0.6%
Jonesboro, AR .................................................. ........................... -0.4%
Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, LA ....................................... -0.3%
I think what’s being ignored here by the conservatives that shoot down ANY fee or tax is the fact that our deteriorating commuter rail is going to really hurt FFC prices. High earners that commute to Stamford/NYC, as well as companies located in FFC for its proximity to NYC will only put up with poor transportation for so long. Trains are getting longer and less reliable. They are up to 20+ minutes slower than they were in 2012. You can’t tell me that doesn’t affect home values in an area whose prosperity has always been tied to NYC.

That’s why we NEED tolls (on top of the absurdity that out of state drivers and trucks get a free ride). We can be more business friendly AND generate revenue via tolls and invest in infrastructure. Those things are not mutually exclusive despite what the modern, stubborn Republican Party would like you to think.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think what’s being ignored here by the conservatives that shoot down ANY fee or tax is the fact that our deteriorating commuter rail is going to really hurt FFC prices. High earners that commute to Stamford/NYC, as well as companies located in FFC for its proximity to NYC will only put up with poor transportation for so long. Trains are getting longer and less reliable. They are up to 20+ minutes slower than they were in 2012. You can’t tell me that doesn’t affect home values in an area whose prosperity has always been tied to NYC.

That’s why we NEED tolls (on top of the absurdity that out of state drivers and trucks get a free ride). We can be more business friendly AND generate revenue via tolls and invest in infrastructure. Those things are not mutually exclusive despite what the modern, stubborn Republican Party would like you to think.
That's assuming toll revenue goes only to transportation. While I'm for tolls generally, I don't trust the legislature to resist the temptation to dip into the toll revenue to fund other projects.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
That's assuming toll revenue goes only to transportation. While I'm for tolls generally, I don't trust the legislature to resist the temptation to dip into the toll revenue to fund other projects.
I’ve heard that argument over and over and I don’t think it makes sense. R’s that are opposed to tolls could easily make a bulletproof lock box possible in exchange for votes. There’s not much else we can do except try it and enforce it and hold those accountable. Inaction gets us nowhere.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Cool Respectfully disagree!

I actually do not. The far left leaning death spiral is evident. Maybe those who deny this aren't actually living it. Ct is one of many ailing US states especially in the NE.

https://www.middletownpress.com/real...d-14060790.php

https://dailyvoiceplus.com/fairfield...n-june/772311/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I must say I find this “survey” to be ridiculous. I know no one that is planning on leaving the state in the next five years. If this was even remotely accurate I would think I would know someone planning to leave. Also a sampling of just 545 out of 3.5 million is statistically insignificant. Jay

Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’ve heard that argument over and over and I don’t think it makes sense. R’s that are opposed to tolls could easily make a bulletproof lock box possible in exchange for votes. There’s not much else we can do except try it and enforce it and hold those accountable. Inaction gets us nowhere.
Exactly. Just because you don’t trust the state shouldn’t mean you do nothing. That solves nothing. It only makes the problem worse. There are ways to make certain the funds go towards transportation. The problem is the Republicans who oppose tolls are a bunch of do nothing lemmings just following the pack. Jay

Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM

LOL. These fiscal failing states are all run by Liberals, Most for many decades, Every one of them. Finger pointing is pointless. They own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem is the Republicans who oppose tolls are a bunch of do nothing lemmings just following the pack. Jay

Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
LOL. These fiscal failing states are all run by Liberals, Most for many decades, Every one of them. Finger pointing is pointless. They own it.
Super conservative states get a much higher proportion of federal funds. So there's that.

Also who's to say they won't have their own financial crises when growth slows down and the numbers add up in 10-20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut